Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019 - Please post updates here

Fido 401k stable value sill north of 2%. Stable value access is why I haven't rolled it over to IRA.
Now that MM rates have slipped a bit I switched back to using my stable value fund in my 401k (pays about 1/2% more as of now).
Transaction was in after tax account to sell MM and buy S&P 500. In 401k sold S&P 500 and bought Stable Value.

Fido 401k stable value sill north of 2%. Stable value access is why I haven't rolled it over to IRA.

I'm also hanging on to the 401K for the Stable Value fund. Megacorps Fidelity 401K is currently at 3.08% and has been slowly dropping over the years.

My Megacorp 401k SVF at Fido dropped all the way to 1.6 and only rebounded to ~2%. Jealous of you folks with high rate SVFs.

My Megacorp 401k SVF at Fido dropped all the way to 1.6 and only rebounded to ~2%. Jealous of you folks with high rate SVFs.

Mine will most likely drop in Dec, as they only adjust the rate twice a year.
There are heavy investments in Mortgage Backed securities and thus usually has higher yields.

Columbia Credit Union (WA/OR) 5-Year CD Earns Up To 3.10% APY

Thanks, ShokWaveRider. Only available to residents of Washington state and some part of Oregon. Here's hoping the 7 year 3.05% Andrews FCU cd is still available in Jan, 2020, when I need it.

Last edited:
Quit bragging! :LOL:

Hey PB, I actually messed up on this one too. If I knew the advantage of having a Stable Value account when working, I would have moved more monies into my 401k account.
As it stands now, the SV account represents 50% of my Fixed Income allocation.

Andrews Federal CU

Get Paid to Save with a Special Share Certificate

Now through December 6, open a 3-Month Share Certificate and earn 3.01% APY*. Hurry! Don't miss out on this limited time offer.

You can never go wrong with a little extra savings. So, when the masses are out spending, stay home and relax while your Share Certificate grows dividends.

Enjoy 3.01% APY* for 3-months
Absolutely no account fees (penalities apply for early withdrawal)
$1,000 minimum deposit required to open account
Offer valid November 25, 2019 through December 6, 2019.

Yeah - I saw that. Very nice even if short. But I'm really corralling my cash at the moment for other needs and don't have any spare to park for 3 months.

Someone I know just got about $65K of inheritance and asked me where to put it. They had a Roth account with Fidelity (but not a cash management or brokerage account), so I said to open the cash/brokerage just to get the money out of the 0% checking account it was currently in. There were 3 options for cash management (spaxx, fcash, fzfxx), and I didn't think it made too much difference which of those was selected.

I asked when the cash would be needed, and learned maybe about 1/3 of it in the next 12 months, and another 1/3 the following year, with the overall goal to have the option to use the funds any time without risk of losing principle.

My idea was to suggest that the funds be used to buy treasuries (I read trades are free) or conservative bonds, just to get some kind of return. I don't see chasing the special rate CD's would be in the cards for these funds, though...too much trouble for this situation.

Anything about this that doesn't sound right? Any alternatives that would be better?

Someone I know just got about $65K of inheritance and asked me where to put it. They had a Roth account with Fidelity (but not a cash management or brokerage account), so I said to open the cash/brokerage just to get the money out of the 0% checking account it was currently in. There were 3 options for cash management (spaxx, fcash, fzfxx), and I didn't think it made too much difference which of those was selected.

I asked when the cash would be needed, and learned maybe about 1/3 of it in the next 12 months, and another 1/3 the following year, with the overall goal to have the option to use the funds any time without risk of losing principle.

My idea was to suggest that the funds be used to buy treasuries (I read trades are free) or conservative bonds, just to get some kind of return. I don't see chasing the special rate CD's would be in the cards for these funds, though...too much trouble for this situation.

Anything about this that doesn't sound right? Any alternatives that would be better?

Bond funds are out, if having the value decrease is not an option.

For such a short time frame, I suggest savings/MM.

Bond funds are out, if having the value decrease is not an option.

For such a short time frame, I suggest savings/MM.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'd never recommend bond funds for this. I was thinking of individual bonds, held to maturity. But if the rate delta isn't very large, just sticking with money market might be where these funds will end-up.

Just a "thank you":flowers: to this forum for posting the PSECU 36 month 3.25% CD special.

- I started my new member application on Nov. 1. Whole process took a while.
- Today I funded it from Fidelity (wire transfer, same day)
- PSECU IRA dept. walked me through filling out the form (pleasant & helpful).
- Fidelity faxed the IRA rollover application to PSECU for me (my home phone does not have long distance).
Glad to have the Fidelity brick and mortar office right down the road: he said they don't normally do this for you - but he remembered me and did me a favor. I still have most of my monies at Fidelity, but wanted to take advantage of the PSECU CD special.

Just a "thank you":flowers: to this forum for posting the PSECU 36 month 3.25% CD special.

- I started my new member application on Nov. 1. Whole process took a while.
- Today I funded it from Fidelity (wire transfer, same day)
- PSECU IRA dept. walked me through filling out the form (pleasant & helpful).
- Fidelity faxed the IRA rollover application to PSECU for me (my home phone does not have long distance).
Glad to have the Fidelity brick and mortar office right down the road: he said they don't normally do this for you - but he remembered me and did me a favor. I still have most of my monies at Fidelity, but wanted to take advantage of the PSECU CD special.

Brilliant!

Navy Federal CD Rates

Rates have come off the highs and now 3year is 2.35 with 100K.

Ugh...2 of my CDs come due De. 12th. I am back and forth deciding between NFCU and Ally. They’re our IRAs. They’ll probably even go lower next week😞

I'm so disgusted at the current rates that I decided to take some of the unemployed cash and combine it with a teaser rate on my HELOC to pay off two higher rate rental mortgages. I will pay off the HELOC in the low interest window, using the money that would have gone to new savings along with the net rent. I'm still keeping a large cash buffer because of the rentals, but I am not happy with the anemic "return" on those dollars.

Ugh...2 of my CDs come due De. 12th. I am back and forth deciding between NFCU and Ally. They’re our IRAs. They’ll probably even go lower next week😞

Same here. I just put some of my current cash into CapitalOne 1 yr 2.1%. The 2 CDs I have that come due Dec 12 will earn even less that that I'm sure. PenFed Online savings is 1.7%. I can't find anything better.

Same here. I just put some of my current cash into CapitalOne 1 yr 2.1%. The 2 CDs I have that come due Dec 12 will earn even less that that I'm sure. PenFed Online savings is 1.7%. I can't find anything better.

Same boat. CD coming due Dec 8th. Keeping my eyes open here and will soon start searching depositaccounts.com.

I'm so disgusted at the current rates that I decided to take some of the unemployed cash and combine it with a teaser rate on my HELOC to pay off two higher rate rental mortgages. I will pay off the HELOC in the low interest window, using the money that would have gone to new savings along with the net rent. I'm still keeping a large cash buffer because of the rentals, but I am not happy with the anemic "return" on those dollars.

Yes. Nothing too exciting right now. i am happy I got into Signal Financial in October. I have a new tranche freeing up next few days, then nothing coming due till next Dec. Probably allocate some to Cap1 (which is my near-term spending account) and maybe a low risk equity fund. My shortest term bond fund has been great for past year but tepid past 6 months, not sure I will add there, and I may even harvest some. May allocate some to promo bank deals if not too much "overhead"involved.

Debt paydown does not look crazy. I may look to extend my small mortgage though if rates tick lower, but value proposition for paydown perhaps a bit stronger over next few years with new tax law.

Yes. Nothing too exciting right now. i am happy I got into Signal Financial in October. I have a new tranche freeing up next few days, then nothing coming due till next Dec. Probably allocate some to Cap1 (which is my near-term spending account) and maybe a low risk equity fund. My shortest term bond fund has been great for past year but tepid past 6 months, not sure I will add there, and I may even harvest some. May allocate some to promo bank deals if not too much "overhead"involved.

Debt paydown does not look crazy. I may look to extend my small mortgage though if rates tick lower, but value proposition for paydown perhaps a bit stronger over next few years with new tax law.

Back
Top Bottom