Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019 - Please post updates here

Whoop Whoop

Love, love, love these add-on CDs, especially when I can fund it with only $50 as a placeholder! Thanks for the heads up.

A little known fact is that banks frequently make exceptions and negotiate special rates for large depositors. "Large" depends on the size of the bank and the degree to which they will wiggle depends on the competitive environment, but it is always worth asking.

There must be some truth to that, Luther Burbank Savings here in California is one of my "regular" CD's and every time I go into the bank to reinvest they seem to pull a slightly higher, non-advertised rate out of know where.

Not sure if my typical $100,000. CD's qualify as being a large deposit or not.

I tried to open an IRA account with Luther Burbank Pasadena office last year and they basically blew me off. I've never been treated so poorly by a bank in my life. I called numerous times to be sure that I could rollover my ex-employer Pension and Profit Sharing into an IRA and was assured I could. I drove close to 100 miles and showed up with ID to get the account opened and begin the arrangements for the rollover. I was told sorry we can't offer the high advertised rate in the L.A. Times, we can offer you (if I remember correctly) 1% on the Pension funds and will have to see the actual plan documents for the rest before we decide. This after the manager and an employee sat in a closed door office and made phone calls for about 45 minutes and came back knowing who my ex employer was without me telling them so they obviously ran a credit check on me and would have found I have an 800 plus score. It was the strangest experience sitting in an empty bank with no customers coming and going like you would normally see. All I could think of was they did not deal with poor people like me that only had a few hundred thousand to deposit. I would never go back there again and no other bank or credit union ever asked for my plan documents when I opened my IRA accounts elsewhere. It worked out for me though I ended up getting 4.2% for 5 years at another credit union a couple of months later.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up!
Will open one today. Have an Ally CD ending 1/1/20.
And a a 3.25 17 mo add on from Navy ending 5/20.
This solves a minor problem I was having.
(I plan to up-date this post 1/1/20)
Its been a big help!

Are both of your maturing CD's IRA's?

No, but can still contribute to (2) Roth's for 2019. Then convert Reg. IRA to Roth. (Conversion).

Love, love, love these add-on CDs, especially when I can fund it with only $50 as a placeholder! Thanks for the heads up.

+1 Add-ons are fantastic. Contrast especially favorably to the callable CDs, which are advantageous to banks.

WOW! That was easy. Opened (2) new 37 mo 3% add on CD's with Navy using $50.00 in interest from our (2) existing Roth IRA CD's we have with Navy. Now can fund 2019 contributions ($7000 ea) and a 2019 Roth conversion at my leisure. The whole thing took 3 minutes over the phone. Amazing....

I’ve received excellent support using NFCUs secure messaging tool. It takes a day or so but I have a written record of the request and it quicker than calling. I also needed to use dividends to open the account and I just got confirmation that it’s been established. I think all my NFCU certificates have add on feature. I have a 40 month CD with 28 months left that pays ~3.7 so I’ll be adding funds there instead of the one just opened.

That was a good one... 3.75 / 150k max. Maxed it out....
Good till 5/2022.

American Express Savings Bank lowers rate on high yield savings accounts to 1.70% down from 1.75% - effective 12/12/2019.

Also forgot to mention the IRA bonus with Navy.

$50 First IRA Bonus
To earn your bonus, just make a deposit of $50 or more to your first IRA within 45 days of account opening.3

Also forgot to mention the IRA bonus with Navy.

$50 First IRA Bonus
To earn your bonus, just make a deposit of $50 or more to your first IRA within 45 days of account opening.3
Customers Bank extended their 2.25 Ascent MM rate to June 30th. Ive had funds there for a while now.

I watch the rates for CDs at local banks and credit unions. Usually the credit unions beat the banks. Called around yesterday/looked on-line at 12 or so local institutions and their rates. Best deal around here is being offered by a small town bank. 23 month CD at 2.41% and a 60 month CD at 3.02%. We stopped in this morning and got one of each. My CD-ladder is starting to get the blanks filled in for maturity dates over the next few years.

Simple just dropped their MM rate from 2.15 to 1.90%
Since it was funded from my Ally account which is at 1.70%, I will still keep it at Simple after the bonus (for now).

NASA FCU still has their special 15 month CD for 2.5% available.

I watch the rates for CDs at local banks and credit unions. Usually the credit unions beat the banks. Called around yesterday/looked on-line at 12 or so local institutions and their rates. Best deal around here is being offered by a small town bank. 23 month CD at 2.41% and a 60 month CD at 3.02%. We stopped in this morning and got one of each. My CD-ladder is starting to get the blanks filled in for maturity dates over the next few years.

My credit union 5 year CD rate is 1.69%. Pretty awful. But I am keeping my traditional IRA's and Roth IRA's there because I think there is a fee to transfer them to a different place. Plus it is just a hassle to do so. And all the IRA's add up to 'only' $50,000. I have already transferred about $110K out of regular CD's from that low-interest credit union to PenFed 3.5% CD's. Yay for PenFed! Wish PenFed still had good rates, but no. At the end of Jan, 2020 I hope Andrews still has 3.05% for their 7 year CD. I have a $20K CD at my credit union at maturing then, and no way will I renew it at 1.69% for 5 years !

Doesn't sound like an exception. You could have asked for a check for the maturing CD, walked out the door, turned around and walked back in and it would have been new money.

The clerk gamely explained that the reason they make "exceptions" is they need money for new loans (you don't say:confused:). She asked me what rate I wanted and I chose one of their existing products. She agreed so easily, I was a bit disappointed I had not asked for a rate not tied to an existing product. Live and learn.

I also think it is much more effective to have these discussions face to face if you can get to the branch.

Straight from Ally....

....the Annual Percentage Yield (APY) on your Online Savings Account is changing from 1.70% APY to 1.60% APY for all balance tiers. Your new APY is effective 12/20/2019 and will show online in your account details on 12/21/2019.

Ally Online Savings Account is changing from 1.70% APY to 1.60%
12/20/19. :-[

Back
Top Bottom