Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you return cans/bottles for cash?
No, never 36 43.37%
No, but I used to 26 31.33%
Yes, I need the dough 14 16.87%
Yes, we don't have curbside recycle 7 8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2016, 07:25 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No but I did pick them up off the streets when I was about 10 to 12 years old for some cash. I think beer bottles were 2 cents each and soft drink bottles were 3 cents.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Besides I find it hard to believe millionaires return them for cash....
Wanna bet? I just entered the Coke Rewards codes from 6 bottle caps to my account this morning. It takes awhile but I've gotten $40 in Amazon credits so far. When I'm out bicycling I take a plastic bag and if I see Coke product bottles with the caps on I pick the up, enter the codes when i get home (and wash my hands) and recycle them.

I wish we did have deposits in our state.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #23

Beer bottles here have a 10 cent deposit charged upon purchase. I return them for the cash, but not because I need the money...because I was forced to pay a deposit in the first place. All other cans and bottle go in the recycling bin.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #24

When I lived in CA, I would save the alum cans and plastic bottles, it was not too much hassle, and it did add up. $20-40 per trip, but the storage and time to go down to recycle was a question on trade-off. My biggest complaint on it was the added tax when purchasing, like so many of CA's forced programs to extract money out of you.

In NM here I will put my alum cans in the recycle at work, but that's it. No recycling at home. Just put cans and bottles in the trash. Don't miss having to take all those empties down to recycle center for cash. In fact here the payment amount on the cans or bottles is so low, it is not worth it.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #25

My state has a 5 cent deposit on cans. I save them and redeem them for my deposit.
My city has curbside recycling for plastic, tin cans, and paper. We use that.

We pay for trash pickup based on volume, but recycling is free. So recycling saves us money.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Redemption center is on the way to stores takes about 60 seconds to drop and get paid, nickel deposit on just about all beverage containers.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We don't pay deposits so there's no real money in anything other than aluminum cans. We rarely buy soda or other beverages and when we do it's in the plastic 2L bottles (that end up in the recycling). Beer is almost always in the bottle (usually the $13/12 pack fancy stuff) so it gets recycled too.

On rare occasions where we go low brow for beer in a can (oh the horrors!!) or buy a 12 pack of canned soda we will save the cans for DW's father who takes them in for scrap $.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We probably should, but we don't. At least we ALWAYS recycle cans/bottles, even if that means bringing empties home from stores/restaurants that don't offer recycling.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #29

First summer intern job in college was at a can manufacturing plant so I developed some interest in packaging.

Most beverage cans now days are steel vs. aluminum which generally has lower scrap value.

Recycling divisions of large waste disposal companies are struggling to be profitable these days. Their business model was to charge homeowners a fee to cover the cost of collection and make a huge profit selling scrap after processing the recyclables. Scrap values have tanked so they are just hanging on. Our county tax bill includes the cost for waste collection (trash and recycle) which is $16/month for weekly collection.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #30

For years I rarely drank anything with a deposit since I mostly drank iced tea. I'm trying to drink more water now, and get lot of flavored seltzers. I mostly just put them in the recycling bin for trash pickup, but I'd be happy to donate them if there was a place I could do so easily.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:59 AM   #31

Growing up we used to for the 2¢ and later 5¢ deposits on glass bottles in MD, but I don't think they have the deposits on the plastic bottles. It's been a while since I lived there so that could have changed.

WV doesn't require a deposit on bottles of any type that I know of. They also don't have curbside recycling - you have to make a separate trip to the recycling center or the trash pickup company will take recyclables for an extra $10/month.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #32

Here we have 3 curbside bins and we pay for all of them.

1 for trash, 1 for recycles and 1 for yard waste.

The trash goes to the landfill, the recycles get recycled and the yard waste gets ground up to mulch which the city sells.

It was with glee that I stopped crushing cans one day, unscrewed that crusher from the wall where it had been for the last 20 years and tossed it in the trash.

Yup, frugality dies hard -
Old 09-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

So I can wax nostalgic...

We returned Coke and beer bottles (by the case) back in the 70s & 80s when they were glass and had a deposit. Now everything (at least where we live) is disposable and we just toss it. But now it's just 2l bottles.

I have a few of those old waxed cardboard beer cases which are used for storage. I've seen them at Antique Swap meets and they are consider collectable! Makes me feel ~old~.

_B
Old 09-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

It was with glee that I stopped crushing cans one day, unscrewed that crusher from the wall where it had been for the last 20 years and tossed it in the trash.
Wouldn't it more properly have gone into the recyclable bin?
Old 09-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #35

Nah, you are not supposed to put "scrap metal" in the recycle bins. Just cans, bottles (plastic and glass), paper (mail, newspapers, magazines), cardboard, that sort of stuff.

The can crusher was made of steel with a wood handle and should rust out and rot in the ground.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I am in Los Angeles. Each family has 3 large bins: black for trash, green for vegetation, blue for recycles.

But I do keep all bottles (mostly Costco water bottle) and occasional cans. I keep about 10 cardboard boxes from Costco and store these bottles. Once they are full, I take them to recycle station in nearby Ralph supermarket parking lot. A lot of people feed the machine one by one, but I sell them by weight, with large discount I was told. They give me a voucher and I would go in Ralph to buy some fruits.

I only have to do this once in a while. Not sure if it is worth the effort getting that $30 dollars every few years, but it is something.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #37

no deposits here...everything goes in the recycle bin.

Used to make a lot of money as a kid in Oregon scrounging through trash looking for bottles/cans that had a deposit. Messy but lucrative!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

We started to collect aluminum cans for a fund raiser for Cub Scouts. We collected about $15 per month to help support our Pack. After the boys gout out of Scouts, it was so ingrained in us we kept it up (though we no longer stop on the road to collect cans in the street!). We have a garbage can full of semi-crushed cans and 2 garbage bags of cans, and DW and I will take them over to the recycling center later this week and collect the ~$25 and use that to pay for a nice lunch and dessert this weekend!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I used to. I had a can crusher screwed to the wall and I would compress those aluminum cans and collect them in the garage and when the trash can was full I took then in and got my $20.

Not bottles or plastic, they went to the City recycle bin.

Yup, that's how frugal I was. Not anymore.

The girlfriend missed the can crusher and just tossed them into the bin. I thought this was funny since I had a trash can right in the bin for the crushed cans...yeah you can see where this is going...

I had a revelation! I am way too rich to be crushing cans anymore and shlepping them over to the depot to dump them and get them weighed and get my dough. It's just not worth it -
Have the same can crusher screwed in my (Calif) wall too!

Each year, I planned on just dumping the cans and plastic in the blue
dumpster, but when I visit the local recycle, (next to local grocery store),
and collect $35-50, once a year, I figure, easy money.....so I continue
for another year.....
Old 09-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #40

Broke DD never returns bottles and cans. DGFs broke kids never return bottles and cans. The people that don't need the nickels always make the run to the redemption center.
I will donate my stash to whatever youth group comes around to collect, and if there's a line at the recycling center I'll give my cans to someone who looks like this may be their career, but usually I like going and talking to the owner of the redemption center. Also I use the cash back to justify bumping up to a good IPA instead of the twelve pack of Genny.