Fido's Customer Service - Going Downhill?

gindie

Full time employment: Posting here.
I had to contact Fido last night (about 8:00 ET) for the first time in several moinths. In the past, I would always get a representative to answer almost immediately (15 seconds or so). All the major money magazines were also praising them in their ratings

Last night, I was on hold for about 15 minutes before I hung up. I tried their Instant Messaging feature. Again, it had been my experience that a rep would greet me almost before I could finish typing my question. But not last night. Almost 10 minutes before someone connected on the other end.

Any similar experiences? Were there any major layoff announcements for them in the news?

Is Fido a pet company or does it have something to do with Lord of the Rings?

Maybe just a bad night. I've had to deal with Fido over the past 6 months with a number of somewhat complicated issues and they have been very helpful every time.

Larry

I had the same issue recently. Instant chat went unanswered for a long time and I retried it many times. Emails took many many days to be responded to, and after they promised to fix something on a tax statement and promised it to me on a date certain, it took a few weeks longer than what they promised to actually get it to me.

That said, overall I'm still happy, and I understand the tax dept. is undoubtedly slammed right now, given it is just before tax time. It just seems that my service level has dropped recently.

I've always been pretty impressed by Fido's customer service, whether its the FI dept or whatever. Maybe you just hit a bad night.

A huge service difference at Fidelity comes from how much money you keep with them, and/or how much trading you do.

Customers who are more profitable to them go to the head of the line. So save your money, and shovel it over to Fido. :)

I did ask about the issues mentioned by OP's post, and the Fidelity rep said it is mostly due to tax time calls and emails.

He also sid that not only have they not had layoffs, they actually have new hires mostly in Salt Lake, one of their operations hubs.

ha

Schwab plays favorites, too. Dunno about Fido, but Chuck's minions have you input your account number at the start of your call so they know where to put you in the queue. As I concentrated my business with them, I got increasingly speedy service. I am probably not too far from being offered my own personal boot-licker, although "my" financial representative in the local branch has realized that calling the house to (genteely) pester my wife more than once or twice a year is frowned upon.

I think I'm in the "middling rich" category over at fidelity. I get the silver commission level trades (or some such precious metal). But I'm not in the $1,000,000+ club that gets you the super secret decoder ring (not yet anyway).

I have noticed that at Vanguard, when I went from a "poor" client to their "middling rich" level (Voyager?), I started getting better treatment. I think at vanguard, I am 1 button press away from a CSR when I call in versus the usual automated voice response menu decision tree.

I called a couple of days ago with a tax related question. Got them on the first call with no wait. Answered my question too with no problem. I called pretty late so that could have helped.

This is a good thread. I'd be interested in hearing good and bad customer service experiences at the various brokerages.

I haven't been that happy with Fidelity. I asked a rep a question once. He said he'd call me back with an answer and he never did. Probably not representative of all CS there, but it was sufficient to piss me off.

Vanguard has been very responsive. They even follow-up when I drop the ball on my end. And they'll randomly invite me to a special "webinar" or somesuch. But I'm not very impressed with their perks (like their financial planners), and they don't bend rules for me. I generally like their low-cost and high-safety philosophy and execution.

I had a great experience with Schwab. Once I accidentally wrote a check for more than my cash balance. Rather than bouncing the check, they called me up, gave me a chance to fix it, and then processed the check.

I've had pretty poor customer service from Ameritrade, poor execution on bond trades, and they have lousy security, but I like their software.

I also have a few other accounts, but nothing really stands out about them.

I haven't been that happy with Fidelity. I asked a rep a question once. He said he'd call me back with an answer and he never did. Probably not representative of all CS there, but it was sufficient to piss me off.

If you have a local Fidelity contact broker, a good plan is to go in and spend a little time together. A side benefit is someone sure knows how to pick fine looking young women reps.

IMO, they are all a good crew, and if you become a face as well as a name to them you will be happier.

Ha

That's a good point. I have yet to find the perfect broker. Somebody needs to offer:

1) Low cost
2) High safety and security
3) Responsive reps
4) Fast, feature rich, intuitive online services
5) Bend the rules for the customer when it's the Right Thing to do
6) And a local office staffed with babes :)

T
1) Low cost
2) High safety and security
3) Responsive reps
4) Fast, feature rich, intuitive online services
5) Bend the rules for the customer when it's the Right Thing to do
6) And a local office staffed with babes :)

I think I'd prefer guys who look like Matthew Mc Conaughy !

we are fidelity private access customers and have yet to actually get our assigned team when i call. its years. we get an option to leave a message or we get transfered to another team in some other part of the country. no complaints though

Have been a FIDO customer for a long time and usually use E-mail as the main form for communication/documentation. Have yet to have a problem.

Same with Vanguard too.

Have both Fido and Vanguard relationships. Been in the process of managing a TOD process for my Mom's relationship. Even though we have Flagship status and a very congenial rep, Vanguard's bureacratic rules and requiremens will probably cause me to move most of my relationship to Fidelity. I have private access there and generally get someone on my team Even if not, always have gotten first class responses and a sense of doing their best to meet my need. In contrast, Vanguard is always about having to fit in their system and fill out another form. (they got one for asking the time of day I think :) )
Nwsteve

Yeah, that's one reason I have multiple brokerage accounts. Different strengths and weaknesses at all of them.

Vanguard wanted me to jump through hoops of fire to create a trust account, so I use Wells Fargo and Schwab for trust accounts. It also helps to have a local office where you can birddog the process in person.

Back
Top Bottom