Join Early Retirement Today

How Can These Both Be True Here?
Old 10-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How Can These Both Be True Here?

Essentially a reversal in 8 years? SIRE vs FIRE current, the other from 2010...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 305BDA05-15B9-471A-9A20-980150C255F6.jpg (92.3 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 52940E91-FE0F-4CEF-A2D0-5960EE720BFF.jpg (204.4 KB, 189 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

What I see is the pension and annuities dropped from 41.5% to 36%. All those other categories in the old poll seem to wrap up into FIRE in the new poll.

Even if it's bigger, pensions are a thing of the past for the most part. Older people with pensions fall out of this site, and are replaced by younger people without pensions.

There's also the fact that these kind of polls are not very scientific, nor statistically accurate. IMO they should only be used for entertainment value, or at least with a lot of grains of salt.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

why not?
the questions aren't the same between the 2 polls
and different people answered.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #4

Some possibilities:

• Perhaps due to portfolio growth in 8 years, from the depths of the great recession to now?
  • Perhaps a different slate of forum members... some have moved on and new ones added?
  • Perhaps some interpretation/ambiguity in how the polls were structured, as the polls were not identical?
omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #5

Pre-ACA perhaps.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #6

What RB said. Count of pensions decreasing. While we're blessed with a couple of pensions, my mega-corp ended pensions in 2012 with a final sunsetting in 2022.
So, a swing from SIRE to FIRE makes sense (and it's all a bit anecdotal as well).
Old 10-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
What I see is the pension and annuities dropped from 41.5% to 36%. All those other categories in the old poll seem to wrap up into FIRE in the new poll.
Except you have to account for Soc Sec in the 2010 result which would at least be significant for most. To me it’s reasonable to assume the 2010 poll is a SIRE majority while the 2018 is a FIRE majority. The decline of pensions began long before 2010, my MegaCorp killed them in 1994 and we weren’t among the first private sector by any means. However, someone’s observation of an 8 year bull market is probably a factor. So I should post another SIRE vs FIRE poll after the next big correction and results will reverse again (joke)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bum
There's also the fact that these kind of polls are not very scientific, nor statistically accurate. IMO they should only be used for entertainment value, or at least with a lot of grains of salt.
Sad, but probably true.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #8

Wasn't 1987 that Federal employees could choose between the old CSRS and FERS...many ex-Feds here I think. We are becoming invisible and obsolete and probably falling BEHIND.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
why not?
the questions aren't the same between the 2 polls
and different people answered.
Yes, I agree. The two polls are asking different things. I don't even know how I would answer the 2nd as none of the answers are correct for me.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Both. Over 25 years of ER shifted from SIRE to FIRE. At age 75 index funds aka da portfolio is 60% ballpark and climbing.

Mr Market, temp work, inheritance(small), marriage and life provided some dipsy doodles over the years. It wasn't a smooth line.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:48 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bum
Sad, but probably true.
It is true. A self-selected poll just isn't scientific, nor statistically accurate.

Why is that sad? If you want meaningful information, you need to go about it in meaningful ways. It just is.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post

Firstly, I would agree with others that it would be hard to reach any conclusions when one isn't asking the same questions. Any good pollster knows that getting the results you want is largely dependent on how you ask the questions. Lots of work trialing questions which look pretty much the same but give surprisingly different results. Even as simple as negative or positive framing.

Secondly, if you do lump the responses of the multi-question poll as RunningBum has suggested then the difference between the two polls is not statistically significant. Not even close.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Eight years ago we were crawling out of the Great Recession. Maybe a lot of people were "retiring differently", that is, under circumstances different from now? Maybe more folks were leaving work involuntarily then than now; more separation packages etc?

My point is that eight years ago there was an entirely different 'retirement' profile than now.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My point is that eight years ago there was an entirely different 'retirement' profile than now.

Marko, I agree 100%. Things have gotten a lot better over the past 8 years.

-Dean
Dean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The decline of pensions began long before 2010, my MegaCorp killed them in 1994 and we weren’t among the first private sector by any means.
Sure, but 8 years ago you'd have had a lot more people who had enough years in to get vested, grandfathered in, or close enough to have significant income from a partial pension. 2018, not as many survivors from those days. It's like water being turned off at a faucet, but a lot left in a long hose line to drain out.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired in 2010. Everyone I worked with was startled because jobs were being eliminated and they were hanging on, because new jobs didn’t exist. In my case I never wanted to get hired again.