Numbers of cars/vehicles

theoldwizard

Recycles dryer sheets
Excuse me if this topic has already been throughly discussed.

How many cars/vehicles do you own/lease ? Do NOT include recreation only vehicles (boats, off road vehicles, parade vehicles) but do include motorcycles/scooters/golf carts/etc if they are used regularly for general transportation.

It would be nice if we could track it as follows.

• 1 person household
  • 2 person household, one ER
  • 2 person household, both ER

I am retired, but DW is not. She works at a school, so she has summers off. Additionally, her job is only 5 blocks away. I'm trying to convince DW that we only need 1 car. I can drive her to work and pick her up on the days that I need a car or just wait until she gets home a 3:30.

We have 2 cars now and 2 drivers in the family both working. We've had 0 cars with both of us working and 1 car with both of us working. It all depended on where we worked and lived, whether public transportation was reliable, whether the weather was conducive to biking, whether are kids were in day care or school, etc.

I think it would be easier to convince your spouse that you only need one car if you stopped driving and just let her have the car.

I am retired, but DW is not. She works at a school, so she has summers off. Additionally, her job is only 5 blocks away. I'm trying to convince DW that we only need 1 car. I can drive her to work and pick her up on the days that I need a car or just wait until she gets home a 3:30.

I'm retired; DH is not. We have two cars; it would be difficult for us to have only one as he is in sales and travels much of the week while I do lots of volunteering that requires me to drive.

I person working, one car.

One person working two cars..

Now... my sister is another story... two people working, two kids in college or just out... 5 cars and 8 motorcycles... and they paid less for all of them than I did for just one of my cars!!!

One person retired - two vehicles, a 1994 small pickup and a 2006 small SUV.

249000 miles - one of these days the GMC will gasp it's 4 cyclinder last!

heh heh heh

Three cars & one driver.... hey, I admit, it's a fetish, and I have cut back!

Vehicles are my passion.

Radical hot rod (36 Ford coupe); moderate hot rod (40 Ford coupe); rat rod (29 Model A); highly modified sports car (240Z); stock convertible sports car (Miata); heavy duty diesel 4x4 pu (Dodge 2500); light duty 4x4 pu (Dodge 1500); jeep (WWII Willys); beater (Comet); family car (Honda).

A different vehicle for different ocassions.

Two drivers - one retired ~ one still enjoying her career :cool:

3 vehicles owned (Toyota van, BMW convertible, 2000 Crown Vic w/ 27K miles) plus DW's company car.

For a number of years we got along fine with one car and DH drove me to and from work or I walked the two miles. It was quite nice, especially getting picked up with a nice warm car.

(In interest of full disclosure, during this time we had anywhere from 2 to 5 motorcycles, sometimes a couple of ATVs, and eventually a motorhome)

One car since 1995. Two drivers both retired. We go almost everywhere together so no problem. Nice to have only on vehicle to maintain, one insurance bill, one set of plates, etc. Additionally, since we only have had one care all this time it is nice to be able to spend a good amount to have a "nice" car.

Last edited:
Two apartments, one block apart, no cars. SO is retired, I am not. Car-free living makes an expensive area possible. Public transit is possible but sometimes a challenge as they cut back on routes and run buses run less often; lately I've taken to travelling like a tourist; that is by cable car which runs uncrowded during the morning rush hour because tourists don't get up that early and residents think they are not reliable enough to use for commuting. I use many indirect methods in the evening, mostly partly by bus, partly walking; keeps that aging mind alert to alternate possibilities.

Divorced, ER'ed, 49, Los Angeles area. No car, but roommate has a car that I partially pay for
(but am not on the title of) and sometimes use, although I rent a car once a month or so. 2 bicycles.

Two drivers, neither working, 2 cars owned and paid for...2001 Acura and 2003 Honda Accord

Two cars (1991 Ford Explorer, 2001 Toyota MR2), one person, not retired.

Coach

Two working adults, 2 cars and 1 truck.

Gotta have the truck, how else can you haul stuff?!?!

Charlotte

One person working but will retire by end of the year,
2 vehicles (1992 Toyota pickup and 2007 Honda Element).

Two people working two cars. Tried one car for a short time years ago UUUuughhhhhhh it was a harder than I thought it would be.

That might have been the time I was quoted $200 for a new muffler so I parked the car and bought another car for $200 and transferred the plates.

two drivers, both working, 3 cars. one is a 2 seater, which is great for the commute but doesn't fit with the "car pool mom" duties.

I'm with Charlotte. 2 working people, 2 cars-1997 and 1996 Saturns, 1 1984 GMC truck.

There's also a 1976 motorhome, and well, maybe a 1975 Olds convertible if I can get a good deal on it....:)
Sarah

Back
Top Bottom