Votes: 28 15.8%
  • 51-55

Votes: 58 32.8%
  • 56-60

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • 60 & Older

Votes: 10 5.6%

• Total voters
Hmm, I briefly searched, but didn't find this one. Same options in the poll too. Great minds think alike. :cool:

Added "poll" to the title to make searching easier in the future...

Six weeks after 50th birthday. Planned to work longer but the ending of an early retirement incentive program pushed me out the door as I'd have to work at least 5 more years to be eligible for the pension. Took a hit on the pension due to an age adjustment though.

Then there was this poll in July 2010 http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/age-at-retirement-50979.html

37% of the 163 responses were in the 52-56 age range. The rest were almost evenly split above and below that group.

There was a similar poll of planned retirement ages at the same time.

It may be that the average age at retirement has changed in the last few years, but seeing that requires a somewhat different poll design.

Last edited:
Boy, I sure brought out the know-it-alls, didn't I? :LOL: Thanks everyone for the links the previous polls. They will be helpful to trend data!

FI aside, I wonder what most folks think is "ER".

As for me? It was age 59, seven years before my original goal of 66 (originally 65, but then changed to 66 due to the SS program) back in my early 20's.

Maybe not ER for folks on this forum, but "good enough" for me :D ...

57, give me some credit though, I didn't start till trying till 47.

It was 53 for me, and I was very glad. I am finding it interesting to learn which co-workers and friends are happy to hear about it and which seem to be a little bit jealous!

Added "poll" to the title to make searching easier in the future...
I wasn't able to vote back in 2009, and from the "Class of..." threads we know that there have been well over a 100 new ER's since then.
I would still expect the majority to be in their 50's.
Could one of the mod team please collect up these links and stash them in a FAQ Archive thread?
Early Retirement FAQs - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Then we old farts can make snarky comments about posters who don't read the FAQ Archives...

I was 50 on my 'official' retirement date, however, I had my fill of the grind and bailed out when I was only 49! Sure, it was only 3 days before the 'official' date, but I WAS only 49!!! ;)

I was 50 on my 'official' retirement date, however, I had my fill of the grind and bailed out when I was only 49! Sure, it was only 3 days before the 'official' date, but I WAS only 49!!! ;)

That counts as 49 as far as I can tell! :D

FI in 2006. Not yet retired. Still enjoy working. May be another 3 years. That will be 60.

I FIREd at age 45, just over 3 years ago.

51 - almost 4 years ago (but seems like yesterday as those years have passed very quickly).

Back
Top Bottom