Spousal Social Security (Part 2)

freetodream

Recycles dryer sheets
Not wanting to hijack a current thread I'm posting a new one.

Homestead writes: I can confirm this to be true, I started SS at 62 and my wife is currently collecting spousal amount of 50% of my FRA amount. She waited until 67 to get the full 50% otherwise it would have been reduced. This was easy to do since she is 5 yrs older than me.

My wife is 1 year younger than me. She is planning to wait to start collecting her spousal @ 66-4 mo. in order to get 50% of my FRA amount.

Here is my Part 2 question: She could start collecting on her record at age 62 which is a smaller amount and then switch to the spousal which is a higher amount. As I have read it would mean the resulting spousal amount would be somewhat reduced at age 66-4 mo. because she filed earlier on her record at age 62

Which method would in the larger $ amount for us as a family?
a. she starts collecting spousal at age 66- 4mo. vs
b. she files on her record at age 62 and then collect spousal at age 66- 4mo.

Depends on how long she lives. The longer she lives "a." becomes the better choice.
Keep in mind that you must file before she can start her spousal benefits.

It's a pretty big haircut for drawing at 62....your question is a little vague so I'm really not sure what you are driving at....if you posted the actual numbers it would easier...if your SS is a LOT bigger then your spouses, she might be leaving a lot of money on the table.

Plug you situation into SS Analyze and it will give you the information that you are looking for.

Not wanting to hijack a current thread I'm posting a new one.

Homestead writes: I can confirm this to be true, I started SS at 62 and my wife is currently collecting spousal amount of 50% of my FRA amount. She waited until 67 to get the full 50% otherwise it would have been reduced. This was easy to do since she is 5 yrs older than me.

My wife is 1 year younger than me. She is planning to wait to start collecting her spousal @ 66-4 mo. in order to get 50% of my FRA amount.

Here is my Part 2 question: She could start collecting on her record at age 62 which is a smaller amount and then switch to the spousal which is a higher amount. As I have read it would mean the resulting spousal amount would be somewhat reduced at age 66-4 mo. because she filed earlier on her record at age 62

Which method would in the larger $ amount for us as a family?
a. she starts collecting spousal at age 66- 4mo. vs
b. she files on her record at age 62 and then collect spousal at age 66- 4mo.
I think that under "deemed filing" rules, she does not have the option of filing on just her earnings record at 62.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/deemedfaq.html

Back
Top Bottom