Yet another SS survivor's benefit question

RetiringAt55

Recycles dryer sheets
I apologize if there was a thread with a definitive answer on this but I was unable to find one.

I am almost 10 years younger than my husband. He is currently 64 and plans on working another year when he will then retire. His SS is estimated to be slightly higher than mine. Because of his poor health (cancer and heart issues) we have been planning assuming he will live until 80. Our planning assumes I will live until I'm 95, so I may have a very long widowed retirement.

So our SS strategy was for him to wait until he is 70 to collect so it preserves the delayed benefit credits for me. I have run scenarios with me collecting at 62 and at 67 and there is a slight advantage in collecting at 62, assuming my husband lives to 80. However the question is on what happens to SS if he should die after I start collecting at 62 but before I am 67.

Looking at the ssa website there is some confusing language:
"A few other situations:
If you already receive benefits as a spouse, your benefit will automatically convert to survivors benefits after we receive the report of death.
If you are also eligible for retirement benefits (but haven't applied yet), you have an additional option. You can apply for retirement or survivors benefits now and switch to the other (higher) benefit at a later date.
For those already receiving retirement benefits, you can only apply for benefits as a widow or widower if the retirement benefit you receive is less than the benefits you would receive as a survivor."

The first part implied that the benefit automatically converts to the survivor's benefit. But is that reduced since I may be less than 67?

The last part implies that it does not happen automatically and that you have to apply for it to get it to change. So if that is true, then would it be decreased if I were under 67?

I know if one had not applied yet at the time of the spouse's death, you can choose to apply for the survivor's at 60 and then switch to your own at 70. Also you can choose to apply for your own at 62 and switch to survivor's at 67. But what if you already filed for your own benefit?

Running through Fidelity RIP, it makes the assumption that the SS stays at the amount my husband would be receiving. Is this correct? (Firecalc does not model this so I have had to model death of a spouse through Offchart spending.)

Does anyone know the answer for sure regarding what happens at the death of a spouse when the widow is currently collecting early? It could make a big difference in the results. Should I wait until I am 67 to prevent SSA from messing up my survivor benefit since there is some ambiguity?

You should model this at https://opensocialsecurity.com/

Choose the Advanced Options.

And in the Mortality Table choice, set the assumed age at death to 80 for your husband, or to other ages for other scenarios.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the answer for sure regarding what happens at the death of a spouse when the widow is currently collecting early? It could make a big difference in the results. Should I wait until I am 67 to prevent SSA from messing up my survivor benefit since there is some ambiguity?
A widow or widower must be at full retirement age or older to collect 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount.

But survivor benefits are independent of your own benefits. If you take your own benefits at 62, then become widowed after your full retirement age, you can switch to 100% of survivor benefits. If you become widowed before your full retirement age, you could remain on your existing benefits until your full retirement age in order to collect the 100%, or could start collecting survivor benefits before your full retirement age, at less than 100%.

Last edited:
A widow or widower must be at full retirement age or older to collect 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount.

But survivor benefits are independent of your own benefits. If you take your own benefits at 62, then become widowed after your full retirement age, you can switch to 100% of survivor benefits. If you become widowed before your full retirement age, you could remain on your existing benefits until your full retirement age in order to collect the 100%, or could start collecting survivor benefits before your full retirement age, at less than 100%.
Thank you Joeea. I will try opensocialsecurity and play around with it.

So if what you say is correct, then Fidelity is modeling survivor benefits incorrectly. Good to know.

I ran the numbers through opensocialsecurity and it agreed that the best strategy is 62/70 even with being widowed after 62 and before 67. That site did say this:
"The following table shows what your year-by-year benefit amounts would be if both people are still alive throughout the year in question. The survivor benefit amounts at the bottom of the table assume that a) the deceased person lived at least until the age at which they planned to file for their retirement benefit and that b) the surviving person waits at least until their full retirement age to file for a survivor benefit."
This implies that the survivor can choose to wait to 67 to file for the survivor benefit. So it is not "automatic" as SSA says in multiple places online.

I'm still a little nervous about the possibility of SSA not correctly handling the survivor benefit. I wish their documents were clearer.

So I did see this on a different page on SSA website:

"We should be notified immediately when a person dies. However, you cannot report a death or apply for survivors benefits online.
When You Report a Death
If you are getting benefits on your spouse's or parent's record:
You generally will not need to file an application for survivors benefits.
We'll automatically change any monthly benefits you receive to survivors benefits after we receive the report of death.
We may be able to pay the Special Lump-Sum Death Payment automatically.
If you are getting retirement or disability benefits on your own record:
You will need to apply for the survivors benefits.
We will check to see whether you can get a higher benefit as a widow or widower."

So it looks like the "automatic" is only if you were getting spousal benefits not your own benefits. If you are getting benefits on your own record you need to apply in person. So I believe this confirms that I could apply for mine and then wait to apply for full survivor benefit when I'm 67, if that worse case scenario happened.

I'm still a little nervous about the possibility of SSA not correctly handling the survivor benefit.

That isn't something I'd be worried about.

As long as you are clear in your explanation regarding specifically what you want them to do, it should get done per your instructions.

Back
Top Bottom