26 days in

LinCella

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been retired for 26 days and I cannot believe how happy I am! The days go by rather quickly, much of my physical pain is gone, I'm no longer emotionally binge eating and when I hear about my old work I just smile broadly because I don't have to put up with that stuff anymore.

The freedom to do what I want, when I want or do nothing at all is incredible!

Welcome to the wonderful world of being FIREd, Linny.

Sounds like you're enjoying it as much as the rest of us.

omni

I think you are the perfect example of how your metal health can affect your physical health. In your case, mental health improvements lead to physical health benefit!

Congrats on your almost first month!

I think you are the perfect example of how your metal health can affect your physical health. In your case, mental health improvements lead to physical health benefit!

Congrats on your almost first month!

Took the thoughts right out of my head !

Congratulations! Stress level for me dropped considerably for me right away also. Enjoy life now.

Linny, I totally agree with you. I retired 12/21/13 and feel the same as you. No stress as I work a couple of hours a day on projects around the house.

I retired Dec 31st and even though I miss not having interactions with my work mates, I still feel like it is a long vacation! I still want to get up at 6 am every day. it is hard to learn to sleep in and chill out. Work was giving me nightmares the past year as the place was becoming increasingly caustic. I cannot believe how good it feels to be out of there!

I retired Dec 31st and even though I miss not having interactions with my work mates, I still feel like it is a long vacation! I still want to get up at 6 am every day. it is hard to learn to sleep in and chill out. Work was giving me nightmares the past year as the place was becoming increasingly caustic. I cannot believe how good it feels to be out of there!

I went through that for several weeks, but now frequently sleep until 8 instead of 5. Sometimes I even out-sleep my wife :)

Two days in here but was on vacation for the last two weeks so really 2 1/2 weeks in. I feel the same way. Exercising with DW every day and feeling better than I have for years. The freedom that not having to plan everything around work is great. I encourage everyone to get into a routine exercise routine. Not only is my body feeling better, but my spirit and mental health is much improved.

I'm 23 days into retirement and also find myself sleeping 10 hours a night. My sense is that I may be recuperating from the emotional/workload toll that the last two weeks took on me.

I'm 23 days into retirement and also find myself sleeping 10 hours a night. My sense is that I may be recuperating from the emotional/workload toll that the last two weeks took on me.

My frequent headaches have ended as well. I feel 100 percent better!

Almost 26 days.... I am feeling guilty for feeling sooooo goooood! How weird is that?

I used to feel guilty too, but as each day passes and the reality of real freedom increases I realize that this ER life is truly a blessing to be grateful for and enjoyed! It feels GREAT!

I retired half a month ago. The days have been flying by. I am no longer sleepy during the middle of the day anymore like I used to be. I would get home and have to push through the rest of the day fighting the mid day slump wanting to sleep. I don't have that syndrome anymore! I still wake up around 5 or 6am and hit the sack around 10pm. I fell a lot better now and much more relaxed. In only two weeks! And I have not really dipped my big toe in the "Lake of Retirement"...

It seems like every day is Saturday, and every night is Friday night! No more Sunday evening blues.........worrying about what to expect Monday! It is a great freeing feeling!

Returned home Sunday night after spending the day at my mother's BD party. 10 pm- "I've got to get to bed soon". Then it occurred to me: no, I don't, because I don't have to get up early for work! Happy danced, then stayed up till midnight. And thanked my past young-self for listening to an old guy (40!) who told me to save money for retirement automatically out of each paycheck and learn to live without. Thank goodness my 19-yo self was smart enough to take that advice!

I cannot believe how much more I enjoy just being! I might look like a dunce just sitting I. The Mall watching people go by and smiling! :)

Been about ten months since I actually worked. Eight months into official retirement. Sleep patterns see-sawed for about five months before settling into a new routine. No longer need afternoon naps, though I occasionally indulge. Lol. I actually went through a bit of an identity crisis for a couple months, then suddenly the stress just disappeared.

Congratulations on your newly earned freedom. Enjoy.

With all the awful weather here in the New York area, I am soooooooo glad I don't have to deal with the terrible commute I so despised. I have been singing that tune for just over 5 years, making this the 6th winter I have been freed from those awful trains, even a few days a week.

I actually went through a bit of an identity crisis for a couple months, then suddenly the stress just disappeared.

I am actually glad to hear that. I am struggling a bit with being a bit at sea: what is my place? what am I supposed to be doing? where do I fit in? I imagine it is the result of going from 20 years straight in the cube and pounding away at the goal to finally getting there, but it is still jarring. Hoping this goes away soon.

I am struggling a bit with being a bit at sea: what is my place? what am I supposed to be doing?

I had that for a while too, as so many others have, then "The light dawned over Marblehead".

I don't have to be doing anything. I'm not supposed to be doing anything. Why should I? Who says so and by what criteria? Nords hit it so well in his The fog of work post.

All our lives we've been indoctrinated that we "have" to do this, we're "supposed" to be doing that to "get ahead" (of what?) that we lose sight of "just being" of just being able to enjoy the day, even if it is snowing a foot and a half.

I have the freedom to do, or not do, whatever I want that day. Pretty neat.

I am actually glad to hear that. I am struggling a bit with being a bit at sea: what is my place? what am I supposed to be doing? where do I fit in?
Whenever I feel that way I consult my spouse, and it usually turns out that I'm behind in several projects.

You'll find your pace. It's probably slower than you expected it to be.

Hypothetically, retiring in the dead of winter might not be the optimal season for self-reflection... unless you're living in a tropical climate.

Back
Top Bottom