26 days in

Hypothetically, retiring in the dead of winter might not be the optimal season for self-reflection... unless you're living in a tropical climate.

There is nothing hypothetical about it. I know I did this at the hardest time of the year for me to do anything but pursue furry things in the woods, stoke the fire, and fill my plate and glass with good stuff. All the other stars aligned, so it had to be done. Hopefully the weather will turn soon.

Very wise and well said, Walt.

I'm just over a year into ER and it's been wonderful, but on days when I don't have anything planned, I still get that voice in the head that nags You've Got To Do Something Productive Today!. It's a bit better after 13 months, but still there. It's amazing what 50+ years of that kind of conditioning/brainwashing has done to us.

I had that for a while too, as so many others have, then "The light dawned over Marblehead".

I don't have to be doing anything. I'm not supposed to be doing anything. Why should I? Who says so and by what criteria? Nords hit it so well in his The fog of work post.

All our lives we've been indoctrinated that we "have" to do this, we're "supposed" to be doing that to "get ahead" (of what?) that we lose sight of "just being" of just being able to enjoy the day, even if it is snowing a foot and a half.

I have the freedom to do, or not do, whatever I want that day. Pretty neat.

Two years, two months into retirement. Life is wonderful! I don't see where I found the time to work. I have not yet found time to do all of the things I'd put off until retirement. I had imagined I'd be the perfect housewife; everything spotless; that I would be in the kitchen trying new recipes (my husband probably thought that too-Ha! Did he get fooled) I also thought that by now I'll have read many of the hundreds of books I have instead of the two or three.

I think my problem is having too many things that I enjoy and some I don't. Like doing things at other people's whim because I have retired. Where does the time go? It seems like from the moment I get up, it is time to go to bed again (which is about 3 a.m.) Sometimes I'm convinced that time has sped up in some way. It feels scary--like I'm enjoying my life away. I really wonder will it ever settle down after I've been retired awhile. (I do work very very part time on line if the mood strikes me.)

Anyway, so glad you can appreciate retirement.

Six weeks into retirement and loving it, but still having some guilty feelings when people find out I retired early at 60! From some of the active FIRED participants on this site, 60 isn't a big deal or a very early retired date. Well, I still live it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom