"Affordable" town in warm climate for single old babe

Affordabe, progressive and warm, hum that is tough. Then you later add big city amenties like good hospitals.

I can think of plenty of places in CA, or HI that progessive and warm, but affordable... not really. I am not sure Austin is all that affordable anymore, and once you leave Austin city limits and don't it is progessive.

So oldbabe if you were going to pick attribute which two would be the most important?

Or as engineer manager use to say, You want it right, on time, and on budget, :LOL: pick two.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Joe,

Looks like Miami Beach to me.

You wanna be on the 99th floor when the next earthquake comes?

It is possible that their buildings are earthquake proof :-X. Obviously, there are not too many places not prone to natural disasters. However, the probability is nearly 50% that could happen at any time in Panama. I would think hard before moving.

Go search online there is no earthquakes in panama and for the location is 100% safe from hurricanes

panama doesnt have any earthquakes areas in all the country i check before moving

Go search online there is no earthquakes in panama and for the location is 100% safe from hurricanes

panama doesnt have any earthquakes areas in all the country i check before moving

Yes, Panama does not have hurricanes.

No, Panama DOES have earthquakes. I used to be a moderator for Viviendo_en_Panama. The locals would be all a-buzz when there were tremors.

You don't happen to sell real estate in Panama City, do you? ;)

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Yes, Panama does not have hurricanes.

No, Panama DOES have earthquakes. I used to be a moderator for Viviendo_en_Panama. The locals would be all a-buzz when there were tremors.

You don't happen to sell real estate in Panama City, do you? ;)

How cynical... :LOL:

Oldbabe said:
Please, not TEXAS. Remember the word "progressive." :D

Depends on whether you're more interested in progressive state or local politics.

Austin is an island of deep blue in a sea of red. But if you're more concerned with left-leaning state politics than left-leaning local politics, even it wouldn't be right for you no matter how lefty the city itself may be.

JOE_PANAMA said:

100 % hurricane safe?? really?? :confused: :LOL: :LOL:
Hurricane Mitch narrowly missed Panama in 1998, devestated Nicaragua and Honduras and caused 3 deaths in Panama.

clifp said:
Affordabe, progressive and warm, hum that is tough. Then you later add big city amenties like good hospitals.

I can think of plenty of places in CA, or HI that progessive and warm, but affordable... not really. I am not sure Austin is all that affordable anymore, and once you leave Austin city limits and don't it is progessive.

So oldbabe if you were going to pick attribute which two would be the most important?

Or as engineer manager use to say, You want it right, on time, and on budget, :LOL: pick two.

Sorry I can't just pick two. I guess I'm impossible to please. I really want to live in CA, my home state, but I can't afford to live where I would like. So I'm staying put in CO for the time being, probably forever. At least here I have progressive, big city amenities, sunshine if not warm all the time, and somewhat affordable. :D

Oldbabe said:
That wouldn't work for me at all. I want to be within a quick drive of a major international airport. I want my kids to be close by. I am a patriot (although a cranky one, right now) and would never make my home outside the good ole USA.

This has been a long running, and interesting thread. I went back to read it from the being and came across this comment. Confused me a little bit. Are you saying, Oldbabe that those of us who have chosen to live outside the US are less patriotic than those who have chosen to live within the borders? I wonder what the reasoning behind that is? I wasn't aware that exercising one's right of choice (which right I served 38 years to protect) did not include the right to live where we wished to without being demeaned.

And by the way, where are you in Colorado? As a former 20 plus year resident of that great state (Springs), I laughed like crazy when you juxtaposed "progressive" and "Colorado". But I guess there's hope, there is a new Democratic governor ... there might be hope yet, I suppose.

This is an interesting site for poking around, my RE agent turned me on to it.

The data is limited and somewhat suspect (for example, they "borrow" data for a town that they dont have info on from nearby towns...sometimes accurately and sometimes not). But in a zillow-like manner, its a decent set of generalized data points, especially for areas you dont know.

You get a map and can search on education levels, political leanings, cost of living, taxes, etc...all in nice neat color coded maps by city and state.

http://neighboroo.com/

RP said:
This has been a long running, and interesting thread. I went back to read it from the being and came across this comment. Confused me a little bit. Are you saying, Oldbabe that those of us who have chosen to live outside the US are less patriotic than those who have chosen to live within the borders? I wonder what the reasoning behind that is? I wasn't aware that exercising one's right of choice (which right I served 38 years to protect) did not include the right to live where we wished to without being demeaned.

And by the way, where are you in Colorado? As a former 20 plus year resident of that great state (Springs), I laughed like crazy when you juxtaposed "progressive" and "Colorado". But I guess there's hope, there is a new Democratic governor ... there might be hope yet, I suppose.

No offense intended to those living outside the USA. I only meant that I like living here too much to live in another country. Probably I said it badly. Sorry you were offended. Thank you for your service to our country.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
This is an interesting site for poking around, my RE agent turned me on to it.

The data is limited and somewhat suspect (for example, they "borrow" data for a town that they dont have info on from nearby towns...sometimes accurately and sometimes not). But in a zillow-like manner, its a decent set of generalized data points, especially for areas you dont know.

You get a map and can search on education levels, political leanings, cost of living, taxes, etc...all in nice neat color coded maps by city and state.

http://neighboroo.com/
CFB did you mean http://neighborhoodscout.com/ ?

you can use neighborhoodscout without a subscription. Some fields may be locked, nonetheless I was able to get good info from it.
that is where I'd go at first and choose an option neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/

I will check neighborhoo once it is back up.

Its very interesting, limitations mentioned above considered.

neighborhood scout did do a 'similar match' search which was very cool, but the school and crime stats search portions pop up a thing asking you to subscribe.

I went into neighboroo.
Very nice map feature.
I liked that there is a feqature on some maps to change colors for color blind people.
The explore fonction doesn't work but the information is very good and it becomes easy to see the geography of a specific area.
Thanks for the link.

Masterblaster said:
Check out the Lake Chapala Mexico area. Lots of US retirees there. Warm, cheap, and wholesome.

What more could you ask for ?

Do a search on this forum for a discussion of the area.

Ilived in Ajijic Mexioc next to Chapala for nine years, found it a bit boring, moved to a beach in Thailand lot more fun there, and much better food

Back
Top Bottom