"Affordable" town in warm climate for single old babe

I second the motion to check out Sedona. Liberal town. Beautiful. Many cultural activities and a generally well-educated, retired professional populace. Housing is pricy -- expect to pay at least $450,000 for a decent small house. There are nice condos for less but you're still looking at the $300-$400K range. Still, with the real estate slowdown there may be a bargain or two out there.

Good thing is that the overall cost of living even in Sedona is considerably less (we've found) than in other parts of the country. Property tax and most other utilities are markedly lower than what we paid in California (duh). Car insurance is about 35-40% lower.

It's colder this winter than in the previous two we've spent here. But it's absolutely beautiful because it's usually sunny and dry. And the people are nice and friendly. Not closed to newcomers. Like it much better than Santa Fe which we had checked out before we made the move in early 2005.

Thanks to all who posted. I'm now even more confused than before!
The sun came out this week and the temperature rose above freezing. I think I'll stay put for a while. ::)

Laurence said:
I would humbly submit that Fallbrook, CA. should be checked out. It's in north San Diego county, has a wonderful climate, lots of open spaces, horse ranches, a little village, and really is the greenest part of San Diego.

Laurence - I checked out Fallbrook on the internet. It looks like a great place (just as you described) - I'd be interested in the drawbacks (being a "glass half empty" kind of guy!)- is it just location? (ie distance from high paying employment areas) - Because, without taking into account any traffic issues, it seems like a pretty good location - close to Carlsbad, San Diego, etc

We'd love to find a place with San Diego type weather but with less people, traffic and lower prices......

My aunt and uncle have been retired in Fallbrook for more than ten years. It is as you say. It's a really nice place and I would even like that area (currently live in Ventura Co., CA).

Fallbrook may be somewhat protected from growth, but in general all of SD county is sprouting homes like weeds. It's kind of sad.

Drawbacks? You can still push $400k for a regular home there. Schools aren't great because building has been so mish-mosh, but as a retiree, that may not be an issue. It appeals to the off road vehicle monster truck type, so my friends report the occasional window rattling from chopped mufflers cruising down the road. If a neighbor paints their house purple, ain't a dang thing you can do since there is no homeowners*. Not a lot of Home Depots, Wal Marts, Targets, Applebee's, etc. My daughter does horse riding in Fallbrook every week, don't have a great pic, but this is somewhat representative, lots of horses and trees:

img_468268_0_dd2a4704aff17ac3a1b7221ead3cf69e.jpg

*Note: There are some developments going in with cookie cutter homes and all that goes with it, but I don't think you are interested in that, nor want to spend the extra money (usually bigger, pushing $1 million price tag McMansions on big spreads).

Of note, Tom Metzger used to live there. He is of white supremacist fame. Just a loud mouth jerk who grabbed some headlines. He moved out to Idaho or some such a while back. :)

I have some good friends who live in Fallbrook so I spend a fair amount of time there. I don't envy their commute to work or everyday shopping places but I do envy the sense of space and the beautiful views of the hills and trees. I would not want to have to drive to a j*b from there but it could be a pretty comfortable spot for a retiree.

It's kind of quirky. Lots of ex-rock-and-roll musicians, I've heard. Famous for ranchettes and marijuana farming. Some meth lab types. One famous retiree: Duke Snider, former Dodger great.

As an OldBabe myself I would prefer a town with well developed arts and social activities (and I was active in the competitive scene, rode jumpers in my youth).

It's definitely semi-rural living, but Escondido is near (less than 30 minutes) and it has a pretty good center for the performing arts. Without traffic ( which does happen, really) Downtown San Diego is about an hour and obviously there is everything there. So if you need your fix more than once a week, not the right choice. Ah, there is also Moonlight theatre in Vista, that's pretty much the closest (25 minutes?) and Carlsbad Village has a lot of fun stuff. Oh, and LegoLand for the Grandkids.

The more I think about relocating, the more issues come up. I'm concerned about having excellent medical care within an hour's drive without having to drive into a city. That's one thing I like about my current residence in the deep freeze. I have experienced bad medical care in the past because of a rural location and want to avoid that as I grow older.

Natchitoches, Louisiana - hot, humid, artsy fartsy - sort of been discovered by Kiplingers - so not that cheap anymore. And you don't need a passport to hop in your car and drive into America - like Arkansas, Mississippi or ah dare I say - Texas.

heh heh heh heh

unclemick2 said:
Natchitoches, Louisiana - hot, humid, artsy fartsy - sort of been discovered by Kiplingers - so not that cheap anymore. And you don't need a passport to hop in your car and drive into America - like Arkansas, Mississippi or ah dare I say - Texas.

heh heh heh heh
I had forgotten about this area, but you're right. This is a neat college town about half-way between Shreveport and Alexandria. La. 6 is the exit off I-49, if I remember correctly. We used to spend the nite there when leaving here for our annual visit to New Orleans. Not a bad recommendation, IMHO.

Well I'm split on Vancouver, Puerto Vallarta and Puerto Viejo in the caribbean of Costa Rica.

I know them both well that's why I've been playing with building maps for both of them!

PuertoVallartaSatellite.com

PuertoViejoSatellite.com

Check them out if you want to explore the area or if you already know it and want to add your own points.

Since vancouver was mentioned. it's also probabaly worth mentioning
Victoria B.C. A very large percentage of the population are retiree's
so there are a lot of facilities there oriented towards that reality like good health
facilities, etc.. and it's really a very nice place to live with very good weather.

And both seattle and vancouver are not far away either. you do have to do the ferry
thing though. I have considered getting a condo in the downtown victoria area.

you wouldn't even need a car really since you can walk to most places you need to go
in downtown. a vespa or bike would do you quite well.

Non-Canadians can't retire in Canada. Once upon a time, but no more. (Not since Tommy Douglas.) Ya gotta be a Permanent Resident ("Landed Immigrant"), at least. You can spend a few months here, but after that, you must go home. No low-cost health care for you foriegn devils!

Canada only wants workers. Until about two years ago, there was a special work permit for workers in the sex trades. Photographs were required. Rumanians admitted under this rule were determined to make better Canadians than folks from other countries. I haver no idea how this was determined. Aren't Liberal (registered trademark) governments wonderful?

(I did not make any of this up. :D I am thinking about becoming the Dave Barry of Canada.)

Oldbabe said:
The more I think about relocating, the more issues come up. I'm concerned about having excellent medical care within an hour's drive without having to drive into a city. That's one thing I like about my current residence in the deep freeze. I have experienced bad medical care in the past because of a rural location and want to avoid that as I grow older.

Maybe you just need a week or two trip to somewhere warm and sunny?

If you have enough money you can retire in Canada as an immigrant investor. Means sticking enough cash into a business venture that creates a few jobs. I can't remember the numbers -- a million bucks C$ comes to mind but I think there's a lower amount available too for certain sectors/if you create enough jobs. Google the canadian consulate in the US if you're interested.

brewer12345 said:
Maybe you just need a week or two trip to somewhere warm and sunny?

Yes, I think you are very right. Cabin fever had its grip on me for a while. Two weeks on Lanikai beach or hiking around Costa Rica sounds pretty good.

Today the temp has reached 38 degrees and feels positively balmy! ::)

Hey ole babe;

Gotta visit Bisbee, AZ an ole mining town nestled in the Mule Mountains in SE AZ. Left leaning, fun, quaint and quirkey. Perfect year round weather. Once the biggest town between St. Louis and San Francisco.

I ER'd out here from MI a year ago and am lovin' it.

Renting 4 acres up in the Hauchuca mountains, 5 minutes from town of Sierra Vista (military town) great cobblestone cottage type house with views to die for! just like living in Yosemite...(bordering the Coronado National Forest with visiting wildlife for neighbors) All for what I use to pay in Taxes & HOA fees!!! ($800/ mo with just a modest electric bill (well water and natural wood in abundance for occassional chilly nights for the wood stove!) NO MORE HEAT BILL, yeah! (another $200/mo savings)

Check it out...but don't tell anybody!!!

All the best...

acg said:
Hey ole babe;

Gotta visit Bisbee, AZ an ole mining town nestled in the Mule Mountains in SE AZ. Left leaning, fun, quaint and quirkey. Perfect year round weather. Once the biggest town between St. Louis and San Francisco.

I ER'd out here from MI a year ago and am lovin' it.

Renting 4 acres up in the Hauchuca mountains, 5 minutes from town of Sierra Vista (military town) great cobblestone cottage type house with views to die for! just like living in Yosemite...(bordering the Coronado National Forest with visiting wildlife for neighbors) All for what I use to pay in Taxes & HOA fees!!! ($800/ mo with just a modest electric bill (well water and natural wood in abundance for occassional chilly nights for the wood stove!) NO MORE HEAT BILL, yeah! (another $200/mo savings)

Check it out...but don't tell anybody!!!

All the best...

What about the cost of housing, food, gas, etc?

dougdo said:
If you have enough money you can retire in Canada as an immigrant investor. Means sticking enough cash into a business venture that creates a few jobs. I can't remember the numbers -- a million bucks C$ comes to mind but I think there's a lower amount available too for certain sectors/if you create enough jobs. Google the canadian consulate in the US if you're interested.

I also looks like if you are a "skilled worker" you can get in too.
this seems to mean if you:
1) know english or french as a first language
2) have a B.A. Degree
3) not of std retirement age.
4) have enough money to you can live off of for 6 months.
5) have been employed at your trade for a good stretch of time

Read a couple of editions of Arizona Highways and I expect you might find a few small towns worth checking out. 8)

dougdo said:

There was a thread on moving to Canada a while back and I looked up requirements at that time. If I recall correctly, you can loan, to their equivalent of the US SBA, $400K for six years (at zero interest) and that meets the requirement. You don't actually have to start or operate a business yourself.

I like their immigration laws. Well thought out and something we should use as an example of wise management.

acg said:
Perfect year round weather.

I was pretty intrigued until I saw this photo, from realtor.com...what the hell is that white stuff on the ground?!?

Attachments

• bisbee.jpg
    bisbee.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 31
  • bisbee.jpg_thumb
    29 KB · Views: 3
Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I was pretty intrigued until I saw this photo, from realtor.com...what the hell is that white stuff on the ground?!?

Looks like Frosty the Snowman took a sh1t all over that place.

Seems a lot of towns in az and nm bordering texas are well regarded. I suppose you get to skip the high property taxes, but still get to enjoy the show across the border.

Back
Top Bottom