Amazon delivery on Sunday

Ready

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I ordered some kitchen gadgets from Amazon yesterday afternoon, thinking they would get here on Tuesday or Wednesday based on my second day free shipping from being a Prime member. But today my US Post Office person dropped off the gadgets in my mailbox. Amazing! Who would have expected to order something from Amazon on Saturday and receive it on Sunday, and not pay anything for shipping (beyond the $79 annual Prime membership).

I think Amazon is a game changer. I can't imagine buying anything in brick and mortar stores if Amazon makes it that easy. I don't get excited that easily, but this was just awesome!

Next stop, 24/365 delivery. :dance:

How cool! I have Amazon Prime too, so I guess I can hope for some occasional Sunday deliveries, too. I agree about Amazon Prime - - I love it and use it a lot. I don't really use the streaming video or much else except for the two day delivery, but it is worth it to me just for that.

If that's what it takes for USPS to become solvent again, why not? Win-win-win for Amazon, USPS and customers! USPS has to do something to offset snail mail losses, they'll only continue.

Nope, they're going to skip that and just outfit everybody with 3D printers for immediate delivery. At least until they get the Star Trek-ish replicator going. Or maybe the transporter. Either would work.

:LOL:
Watched to 60 min show... Was imagining little Mary riding her trike at the landing spot.

1OVaAQ0.jpg

I ordered a large toy from Amazon on Thanksgiving. It arrived Friday and I do not have Amazon prime.

The little "delivery drones" mentioned in the 60 Minutes piece may be a few years away, but they are another reminder that we are increasingly entering an era when labor is becoming more and more irrelevant, which poses its own set of social and economic challenges (and opportunities).

I'm used Amazon a lot over the years and have been very please with their prices and service but it does seem lately (last year or so) that their prices are becoming less and less competitive. I can often find the items I'm looking for cheaper somewhere else and the fact that they now charge me state (AZ) sales tax doesn't help.

I'm used Amazon a lot over the years and have been very please with their prices and service but it does seem lately (last year or so) that their prices are becoming less and less competitive. I can often find the items I'm looking for cheaper somewhere else and the fact that they now charge me state (AZ) sales tax doesn't help.

Same with us. Now that they charge sales tax in Texas and pricing is competitive elsewhere, I am ordering things from other vendors. Plus, free shipping went to only after $35 in orders (and not all goods).

I'm surprised the technology is there to support Prime Air. So, these drones know where my front door is as compared to another door or my roof or my pool, and know not to get stuck in trees, or drop down upon a person? They can also somehow avoid being shredded by a protective dog, as well as colliding with any other drones?

I find it hard to beat Amazon on many household items, especially when I factor in my time and gas. They are great for sending Christmas gifts, gift wrapped and delivered, without needing to go to the post office.

But I'd be pi$$ed if the FedEx guy/gal rang my doorbell in the middle of the night...

What the heck is so critical, aside from meds, that I need it on Sunday rather than Monday?

Those drones are cool though.

:LOL:
Watched to 60 min show... Was imagining little Mary riding her trike at the landing spot.

I'm surprised the technology is there to support Prime Air. So, these drones know where my front door is as compared to another door or my roof or my pool, and know not to get stuck in trees, or drop down upon a person? They can also somehow avoid being shredded by a protective dog, as well as colliding with any other drones?
GPS is very accurate, you've seen the military strikes where they were sending missiles through doors and windows 10-20 years ago.

In the 60 Minutes segment, Jeff Bezos acknowledged same saying "The hard part here is putting in all the redundancy, all the reliability, all the systems you need to say, 'Look, this thing can't land on somebody's head while they're walking around their neighborhood.'"

But there are somewhat autonomous drones in existence already, and there's no doubt they'll develop further - sooner if commercial applications seem viable.

Google, Audi, Tesla, Nissan, Mercedes and others have already put hundreds of thousands of miles on (mostly supervised) autonomous cars. Google has approval in CA to operate theirs on public roads now with supervision (for now), so they're coming closer and closer to truly autonomous vehicles. Beyond other cars, people, animals, imagine the variation in terrain, permanent and impermanent obstacles, stationary and moving that an autonomous car has to deal with - it's mind boggling. I'd think perfecting a 2-ton driverless car traveling at 60 mph would be orders of magnitude more difficult than autonomous drones traveling 10 miles with a 5 pound package.

Last edited:
On Christmas Eve they fly down your chimney, drink your milk and eat your cookies.
:LOL: So put a 5.1 pound glass lid over your milk and cookies, problem solved. Amazon will sell you the lid, but it can't be delivered by drone...

I can't wait for the drones. It's probably too rural where I'm at. I can imagine the conversation when the first 'good ole boy' shoots one down, cause it was upsetting his cows.

MRG

I am waiting for the Amazon drone to fly over my house at 2:30 in the morning to deliver a package to my neighbor. I intend to get in some good target practice.

Back
Top Bottom