Another FIRE Failure?

Surprised at Armstrong, or at the French?  Frankly, it's great  to read that Lance is tweaking the incredible French jingo-ego by threatening to return for Victoire VIII next year! :bat:

He probably doesn't see anyone out there that can beat him.

Although, I would think he would want to leave on a high note like Johnny Carson did when he retired from the Tonight Show.  It would be a shame to come back and to lose, or get seriously hurt or killed by some deranged Frenchy.

If I were him, I would stick to my "retirement" from le Tour de France.  There must be other (easier) bike races he can dominate and win for a few more years.  Kinda like being semi-retired.

I would think Lance would have a very hard time not being in the middle of it all after all he has done. He is a major competitor and that kind of drive along with the public gushing bestowed on popular ahtletes, I am sure he is on a kind of "high" from it all and would be lost in retirement.

Many people in "normal" life have the same kinds of retirement issues where they are in their prime and at the height of their careers and would not do well not being "deep in the s*it" every day. I know far too many people that way. They "are" what they do and to do anything less is seen as not being successful. These people will work until they drop. I count myself lucky to not be one of them.

SteveR said:
I would think Lance would have a very hard time not being in the middle of it all after all he has done.  He is a major competitor and that kind of drive along with the public gushing bestowed on popular ahtletes, I am sure he is on a kind of "high" from it all and would be lost in retirement. 

Many people in "normal" life have the same kinds of retirement issues where they are in their prime and at the height of their careers and would not do well not being "deep in the s*it" every day.  I know far too many people that way.  They "are" what they do and to do anything less is seen as not being successful.  These people will work until they drop.  I count myself lucky to not be one of them.
Hey, even Johnny Carson couldn't turn it off. He was feeding jokes to David Letterman for a decade.

Lance has been on Oprah a couple times (with & without Sheryl Crow). Oprah can get just about anyone to talk and he still comes across as a shallow one-trick pony. I don't know if he could entertain himself in FIRE (even WITH Sheryl Crow) for more than a racing season.

And then we'll have to endure multiple pitiful comeback attempts like Sugar Ray or even Michael Jordan. I wish Lance would just sign a multi-gazillion-dollar contract with a bike manufacturer, flog some Diet Coke, and open a summer biking camp for city kids. Maybe Sheryl will get him to settle down...

Nords said:
I wish Lance would just sign a multi-gazillion-dollar contract with a bike manufacturer, flog some Diet Coke, and open a summer biking camp for city kids. Maybe Sheryl will get him to settle down...

Talk is Lance is considering running for public office here in TX (governor maybe?). Guess the desire to win a race doesn't retire easily.

REW

A fairly rare extemporaneous criticism from me:

I am very impressed with Lance's victories in the Tour, and his battle against cancer and so forth. I read one of his books. On the other hand, I think it's absolutely rotten of him to have divorced his wife and the mother of his 3(?) kids.

malakito

malakito said:
A fairly rare extemporaneous criticism from me:

I am very impressed with Lance's victories in the Tour, and his battle against cancer and so forth.  I read one of his books.  On the other hand, I think it's absolutely rotten of him to have divorced his wife and the mother of his 3(?) kids.

malakito

No one really knows all of the dynamics and undercurrents going on in a marriage, sometimes not even the participants.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
No one really knows all of the dynamics and undercurrents going on in a marriage, sometimes not even the participants. JG
Yeah, right, and despite his worldwide celebrity lifestyle he just happened to bump into Sheryl Crow AFTER the divorce.

Nords said:
Yeah, right, and despite his worldwide celebrity lifestyle he just happened to bump into Sheryl Crow AFTER the divorce. 

Hey! I am the resident cynic here....... :)

JG

I'd like to bump into Sheryl Crowe. I can't cycle, but I can ride. :LOL:

MRGALT2U said:
No one really knows all of the dynamics and undercurrents going on in a marriage, sometimes not even the participants.

JG

Fair enough, I agree with you there. I'm in the "there's no real good excuse for a divorce" camp, but I've seen situations where I'd have to agree that divorce is the best option. Maybe Lance is one of the exceptions. Who am I to judge, anyway?

malakito

Back
Top Bottom