Anyone on the forum also living in Switzerland?

Bryan Barnfellow

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I haven't asked this question before, but are there any FIRE folks living here in Switzerland? My wife and I have been here for 9 years and plan to stay.

Thanks

-BB

Last edited:
We have a home near Lausanne Switzerland that my in-laws gave us. We have been going to Switzerland every year for the past 27 years. It's a nice place to visit and we have made a lot of friends over the last 27 years, but I personally would not want to live there due to the cost of living. Plus the food is not that great. When McDonald's is one of your better dining options, that says a lot about the state of restaurants in that country. There are some fine dining establishments, but they are expensive and few in number. We have a car there also so we can travel to France and Northern Italy. However, if for some reason we had to sell everything here and move to Europe, I would live in Nice France or in the Amalfi Coast in Italy. We were shopping for a second home in Nice back in 1998 but did not pull the trigger.

Lausanne is a beautiful spot. I have found the food in Switzerland to be quite good and enjoy eating out, when I can afford to. It is expensive here, as you note; but as we live just over the border from northern Italy, it's easy to find cheaper meals elsewhere. Personally, I wouldn't live on the Amalfi coast; way too touristy. Nice, on the other hand, I love!

-BB

Are you in Ticino? The food there is Northern Italian and very different from Vaud. It's nice there. We were in Locarno and Lugano many years ago. Our home is in a town called Ecublens. It has a nice panoramic view of Lac Leman and the French Alps as well the University of Lausanne. In my opinion, the nicest place in Switzerland is the Montreux Riviera.

I have a close friend from my Megacorp days living in Lugano. We last visited him living in Paris.

I retired 9 years ago at age 58. He remains working @ over 35 years in the job. And I am certain it is not because he loves his job.

Bryan, out of curiosity, what are the aspects of living in Switzerland that you like the most? It's a strong endorsement that you moved there and decided to stay. It looks like a beautiful country; would be interesting to have your first-hand perspective on what it's like to live there.

Bryan, out of curiosity, what are the aspects of living in Switzerland that you like the most? It's a strong endorsement that you moved there and decided to stay. It looks like a beautiful country; would be interesting to have your first-hand perspective on what it's like to live there.

If I could live my life over I would have purchased a condo in Switzerland. I have been going there for the last 20 years mainly to the mountain village of Wengen that over looks the Lauterbrunnen Valley. The country is drop dead gorgeous. We like to hike/walk. There are yellow signs everywhere pointing to paths and how long it takes to get to the next destination. They allow you to walk thru farms without feeling like you are intruding on someone's private property. Can't do that in America. I agree with others, lunch is usually good but dinners are extremely pricey.

r9hkbn.jpg

2mr86it.jpg

Some more scenic shots of Switzerland.

Attachments

• IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4070.jpg
    IMG_4070.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4202.jpg
    IMG_4202.jpg
    765.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4384.jpg
    IMG_4384.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4407.jpg
    IMG_4407.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 62
Beautiful place, but from what everyone tells me, Switzerland is just so expensive, esp if you want to go skiiing or pay for other winter sports.

Some more scenic shots of Switzerland.

Freedom, it appears your last photo was taken from the lakeside restaurant at Hotel Belleveu, Iseltwald on Briensersee. We have eaten there several times. Beautiful setting in the early evenings and away from the crowds in Interlaken.

Freedom, it appears your last photo was taken from the lakeside restaurant at Hotel Belleveu, Iseltwald on Briensersee. We have eaten there several times. Beautiful setting in the early evenings and away from the crowds in Interlaken.

The photo of the building was taken in Iseltwald from the walking path on the other side of the lake. There is another vantage point in the attached photo. In the early 80's it was a private boarding school where my wife went to learn German. She took me there in the early 90's after we met. The school was closed and the building was turned into a cafe/restaurant. She was disappointed. When we returned in 2008 the place was an institute for troubled teens. The view from the restaurant (If we are talking about the same one) was the small marina (see attached photos). Yes it is a very peaceful place compared to Interlaken. We have eaten there several times and all I remember is mediocre food and lunch for two at about $120. It is expensive. I won't get into what our wedding in Switzerland cost us back in 1993, but it put a dent into our savings.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
My family (Fathers side) is from Thun (other side of the lake from Interlaken). I have visited several times as my family operates a well known business in town. After my last visit they sent me a large poster tracing my family back to the 1600's or so. Lovely place,country, I could eat Rosti everyday!

If you click the link it will show a photo of the restaurant. I could not cut and past it.

I don't recall it being anywhere that expensive.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/c...fcf6713ff829afa6!8m2!3d46.7126785!4d7.9692071

The restaurant we went to was further down the road in the village. I took the picture from the path off the road towards the village and the other pictures from the restaurant terrace. Google did a nice job of recording the route on the road.

Just a tourist here.
I always wanted to go to Switzerland ever since I studied it in grade 3. I finally got my chance in 2005. Loved the rosti and raclette. Haven't gone back since as it is kind of out of the way and a bit pricey. But looking forward to another visit once we RE.

Are you in Ticino? The food there is Northern Italian and very different from Vaud. It's nice there. We were in Locarno and Lugano many years ago. Our home is in a town called Ecublens. It has a nice panoramic view of Lac Leman and the French Alps as well the University of Lausanne. In my opinion, the nicest place in Switzerland is the Montreux Riviera.

Yes, we live in Lugano, a lovely little city on a glacier fed lake. We haven't spent enough time in Romandie, but agree that it is quite beautiful!

-BB

I have a close friend from my Megacorp days living in Lugano. We last visited him living in Paris.

I retired 9 years ago at age 58. He remains working @ over 35 years in the job. And I am certain it is not because he loves his job.

Wow! We live in Lugano as well. Loving it here.

-BB

We moved here for a j*b, then upon FIRE we stayed. It feels like home now, after nine years here. I like Switzerland for its physical beauty, it's diversity of languages (4 of them: German, French, Italian, and Romansh) and cultures that somehow seems to hang together quite well. I like its federated political organization: most power lies with the constituent cantons, with a small federal government. The major parties get along and the country isn't polarized by culture wars.

I like its approach to health care -- everyone must participate, pay your own way all your life, but if you cannot then the government can step in and fill the gaps so that you aren't left without proper care. This means you can retire and keep your (very good) portable health insurance and not stay in soul sucking j*bs just to keep your family insured. Also, prescription medications are included and there are no donut holes and push back from insurers. The doctors still hold the power and the insurance companies pay. And they are all nonprofits -- like the old blue cross/blue shield in the US.

I like its sane political climate...no nasty ads on TV, no one can remember who the President is (the job rotates among 7 highest ranking elected parliament officials annually). Last year our President was a former concert pianist. Switzerland doesn't play any role on the world's stage, I like that a lot. But it does serve other countries as a neutral facilitator; for example for the US and Iran.

I like that it has a lot of important nonprofit organizations headquartered here that were founded here: International Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, for example. It has a vibrant economy based on highly skilled labor and innovation and it provides a very sane and stable system for all workers to retire comfortably with a pension plus social security. Decisions made about this system are made without a lot of political posturing and tend to build upon the past, not undo it. Financial planning is a lot easier here.

I like the transportation system. Extensive train network, local buses, trams, funiculars to get you up steep hills in some cities and towns (old adage: "everything in Switzerland is either on a hill or on its way to a hill). Everything runs on time here. And you see where your taxes are being spent on the quality of your life and the services provided.

I like that the dozen or so national universities charge a minimal tuition; but I don't like that they force students to specialize very early (upon entrance, actually). I especially like that they don't expect everyone to go to university. Instead a large swath of the population go to technical or trade schools or sign on as apprentices and all make a decent living.

I like that the wait staff in restaurants are all professionals who pursue this work as a career (and it shows). I like that there are Swiss in the back rooms and kitchen, not people whose legal status in the country is such that they can be taken advantage of.

On a very personal level I like that the Swiss value privacy and would never think to ask you an embarrassing question about how much you make or how much something cost you. I like that they don't flash their wealth, except maybe through an expensive watch or German car. They are hard to make friends with -- it can take a long time -- but then they are friends for life.

I like that they don't allow stores, in general, to be open on Sundays (so that most people can have the day off) and communities often prohibit noisy activities like lawn mowing, vacuuming, or car washing on Sundays (so that everyone can rest). It can be inconvenient, but I have accepted it as part of life. I like also that there are still lots of markets and small food stores and fewer supermarkets. People generally shop every day or so. I like that an electrician can do work in your flat (70% of us live in apartment buildings) and then send you a bill, in a month or so. And that if you run out of a medicine your pharmacist, who knows you, will simply refill it and tell you to have the doctor send the Rx later.

I love that people wait at crosswalks until they get the green light, even if there is no traffic. It's a country that respects rules. Although they can go overboard. I don't like that they don't seem to smile as much as I'm used to, and wonder if they are really happy, despite those international polls that often place Switzerland in the top 5 or even first place some years.

I like that Switzerland is about 25% foreign born -- mostly expats working for large tech, pharma, or financial companies. So, it is more cosmopolitan than it would be otherwise.

Finally, I love that I can leave easily. Given its central European location, it's easy to get to many places we like to visit -- fly to Rome, London or Amsterdam in an hour and twenty minutes. Milan by train in 50 minutes.

So much to love. But also some things not to love. The right wing party is gaining ground -- very anti-Islam. The Swiss can be closed minded about change and new ideas sometimes -- women didn't get the vote until 1972 I think and you still see ads asking for attractive women for reception j*bs. No gay marriage yet. Also, its still fairly male dominated. It bothers me that in Lugano, the Italian-speaking canton where I live, women still seem to dress to please men. You don't see that much in the German parts, like Zurich.

Lastly, the flag is a plus. What could be better than that? :)

Hope this helps. I can answer questions about any or all of this, including other not so nice stuff -- e.g., the very high cost of living that everyone knows about. My wife's and my plans for FIRE were never predicated on living in one of the most expensive countries on the planet; but somehow we manage and hope to continue to.

-BB

Last edited:
Beautiful place, but from what everyone tells me, Switzerland is just so expensive, esp if you want to go skiiing or pay for other winter sports.

No question about it. Switzerland is about 30% more expensive on most things, like housing and food. But wine and electronics are reasonably priced. You learn to wait for sales and buy things when they offer 3 in a bundle, that sort of thing. We rent our flat because we could never afford to buy it or anything like it (on the local lake). But that's okay at this point in our lives. We can always downsize over time to cheaper flats if our income fails to match our expenses. Lucky for us, inflation has been just less than zero for a few years until this one. But in general inflation is very low and the Swiss franc is very stable.

I don't ski but do a lot of hiking, which is free.

-BB

Just a tourist here.
I always wanted to go to Switzerland ever since I studied it in grade 3. I finally got my chance in 2005. Loved the rosti and raclette. Haven't gone back since as it is kind of out of the way and a bit pricey. But looking forward to another visit once we RE.

Try the south next time -- italian switzerland. The canton of Ticino, the only italian speaking canton, is voted regularly by other Swiss as the most beautiful and most stylish. Lunch is always more affordable than dinner. Lots of outdoor activities.

-BB

One last thing to add to my overly long list of reasons why I like Switzerland and plan to stay here:

The climate in the Lugano area is classified as sub-tropical. Believe it or not. We have virtually snow free, frost free winters and lots of sun and blue sky. I was surprised to see palm trees all over this region, even with snow capped mountains in the distance. Having also lived most recently in Maine, in the US, I can say that weather-wise, this move was a distinct improvement.

-BB

Yes, we live in Lugano, a lovely little city on a glacier fed lake. We haven't spent enough time in Romandie, but agree that it is quite beautiful!

-BB

Yes lugano is a very nice city. We haven't been back since 1991. It's a bit of a difficult drive from where we are. We have been going to Stresa and the Borromean Islands in Italy for some change or into France. Stresa is one of the most beautiful places in Italy. We spend about 2 months per year in Switzerland with short trips to other countries. My wife is very close to her family and we have been managing their care for the last 12 years. They are in their 80's and still living in their home. My wife is turning 50 this August so I have been planning a big party for her with family and friends.

Barnfellow, thanks for posting those pictures of Switzerland. It brought back some wonderful memories of a beautiful country......

The young wife and I went to Lugano in 2007. I thought it very beautiful and pleasant. I could easily see us living there. Sadly, while I can speak Italian, she cannot, so that idea is not likely.

One last thing to add to my overly long list of reasons why I like Switzerland and plan to stay here:

The climate in the Lugano area is classified as sub-tropical. Believe it or not. We have virtually snow free, frost free winters and lots of sun and blue sky. I was surprised to see palm trees all over this region, even with snow capped mountains in the distance. Having also lived most recently in Maine, in the US, I can say that weather-wise, this move was a distinct improvement.

-BB

There are even palm trees in Montreux and Lausanne. However, the winters can be drepressing with a lot of freezing rain. We used to visit during Christmas, but the weather was pretty horrible compared to Southern California or South Florida. They normally visit us during the winter months.

Back
Top Bottom