Blow That Dough! - 2019

Got my painter working again, 3 grand for the exterior house!

My latest Blow that Dough!.... a iRobot Braava 240 robot mop. Been playing with it this afternoon. Dry swept the master bedroom while I took a nap... our cleaning lady had mopped that room just Monday and it looked clean... but the dry pad (works like a Swiffer) picked up an impressive amount of dirt and dust and furballs... it also picked up a pin that DW had left behind so at least my bare foot didn't pick it up! In fairness to our cleaning lady this little robot gets under the bed and bureaus and nightstands better than she does so that may be why it picked up so much.

Now it is wet mopping the kitchen and seems to be doing a nice job.

Pretty impressive little robot for $150.

How effective is it in more cluttered rooms? Like around tables and other furniture, it can't get close enough so it leaves a margin around the footprint of chairs and tables like it does around walls?

Can it get right up to the edge of the walls?

How much are the consumables?

As it happens, the CEO was on CNBC this morning, a former NASA engineer. They introduced a new product, a pair of robots, one does wet and one does dry and they use the same maps to know which part of the room the other has already gone over.

He said 25% of the vacuum market is now robot vacuums.

We blew $1,000 on an i7+ Roomba. Love it. The mapping and auto empty features are what make it worth the money.

We blew $1,000 on an i7+ Roomba. Love it. The mapping and auto empty features are what make it worth the money.

Does the i7 Roomba require Alexa or is it just optional? Amazon indicates it required.

https://www.amazon.com/iRobot-Roomba...gateway&sr=8-6

Also, does it require a smart phone interface?
I do not want an Alexa, I'm paranoid of a hot mic in the house on 24/7, and I do not have a smart phone, only a simple cell phone to make calls and texts. No data plan for apps and such.

Last edited:
We just booked flight to Vietnam in August and spend one month over there - Planning phase is starting now, we plan to visit a few places that my DW had never been there before.
It is not as expensive as the April Europe trip. We will see.

Got a watch winder. This is a blow that dough item for many blew that dough items.

61r-p8LuGnL._UL1000_.jpg

Powerbeats Pro true wireless running headphones. Also they discontinued my favorite running shoe, so I bought 4 pairs of them on sale. Should last me the next 5 years.

Business class fare sale

La Compagnie airlines is having a business class fare sale. Apparently they are a business class only airline. The seats lay flat. Newark to Paris is the sale route. The round trip fare is $1,000. A quick check showed the sale fares were good beginning Sept/2019 and ending April/2020. At that price, it may not even qualify for "Blow that dough".

I looked at the fares on Google flights and have not tried the linked airline site.

Waiting at airport to fly to Prague followed by Danube River Cruise for our 35th anniversary. When we get back, I have 6 more days of w*rk before retirement!!

two tickets to the Eagles in Vegas this October. $1300 total. Can't take it with you!

+1
Saw the Eagles for ~1200 in NYC a few years back. Too bad Glenn Frey is not there now.
Tremendous concert. They played all their hits.

$600 a ticket?

Are those like prime seats or something?

Check out Rolling Stones tickets - :)

two tickets to the Eagles in Vegas this October. $1300 total. Can't take it with you!

Me TOO !!!!!! It’s the hotel California tour.....I think we are seeing the first show sept 27 th ? Tickets were pricy..... heck not sure what I paid in 78’ to see them in Houston I had great seats lower section near Joe Walsh side.

$300 for NetGear's Orbi WIFI system to improve internet performance for all my WIFI devices .... Money well spent.

Decided I wanted to get away for a bit and booked 4 trips - one per month from July - October. Deciding on a destination for November before booking number 5. Splurged on a new Rolex and an Omega a few months ago too. Oh, and paying for my wedding in 4 months as well. Good year for blowing dough!

$600 a ticket?

Are those like prime seats or something?

IIRC, similar to Prime seats. We could see their faces clearly. This was back in the day of more spending for us. Not willing to do more than 200 a ticket in retirement mode.

Took advantage of the free shipping for fathers day sale and got a couple pounds of fresh Maine lobster claw meat coming for lobster rolls - :)

I have an opportunity to attend all the NBA Finals games. My son works for the Golden State Warriors and they fire up the jet for the trips to Toronto for employees. If not full, family is allowed to accompany. We have to fly back, no hotel overnight, but hey! I'm retired and can make up the sleep time later. Got back from Toronto this morning and game 6 tomorrow.

Here's a photo of Game 4 in Oakland with my son, his son/my grandson on his knee, and my other son's son/my grandson on my right. He gets 2 free tickets and got extras from other employees who weren't gonna go to the game.

I know it's technically not blowing the dough, freeloading off The Boy, but I feel rich anyways. Ha!

62445046_10100288277751514_2289173609777725440_n.jpg

Oh what the heck, one more photo!
62557256_10100288277811394_2183695135747866624_n.jpg

And one or two from Toronto;
61359367_10100286289600784_7303512077765705728_n.jpg

Evidently this is the bomb in Canada; brown gravy and cheese curd on top of french fries?! The Raptors were great hosts and treated us to this stuff.
61705253_10100286289680624_8007841660102770688_n.jpg

Last edited:
I'm accompanying my daughter from Maui to Waco to attend Baylor college Orientation, which includes parents. She's staying a few days more for a "Line Camp(?)", and my plan was to go to Vegas for a couple days, and then surprise meet up with her at LAX for the final leg home.

But I got an invite from MGM for comp tickets/room to attend Khalid (a singer). She's not huge on him, but is excited to go to Vegas for a couple days. I never would have gone thru the bother and cost of changing air tickets in my former, nonFIRE life, but hey, blow that dough and make some memories! It feels really good to spend doing special things with the special people in your life.

Back
Top Bottom