Blow that Dough 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must have been there the same week as us! After reading about all the terrible weather it was a huge relief to have amazing weather while we were there. Had a great time too, even if was only for five days! We'd already been to Scotland and London, so I couldn't convince my DW to spend any more time than that.

Just curious where did you stay? We were at the Berjaya Marina - very convenient to museums, restaurants, and shopping.

Just curious where did you stay? We were at the Berjaya Marina - very convenient to museums, restaurants, and shopping.

We booked our stay through Iceland Tours and they chose our hotels. In Vic we stayed at the Hotel Katla and in Reykjavik at the Hotel Fron. The tour offers three levels of accommodations and these were the mid-range selection. All were comfortable and offered huge free breakfasts in the morning.

I'm back from two weeks in Korea. The airfare ($1,400) was a real BTD, but otherwise prices were very reasonable. Total for the trip was around $3k, which is more or less in line with what I'm currently budgeting for a two week trip.

Next up is Costa Rica over Christmas which may well be a real BTD...

I don't think I have ever posted on a BTD thread because we are NOT good at it. But this oughta help...:D

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 6.54.52 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 6.54.52 PM.jpg
    730.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 6.55.10 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 6.55.10 PM.jpg
    806.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
We booked our stay through Iceland Tours and they chose our hotels. In Vic we stayed at the Hotel Katla and in Reykjavik at the Hotel Fron. The tour offers three levels of accommodations and these were the mid-range selection. All were comfortable and offered huge free breakfasts in the morning.

Iceland Tours was the BEST! They did everything (except air flight which were on miles). All the arrangements and excursions went off with out a hitch. Would definitely recommend them to anyone thinking about going there.

Just forked out $5,440.78 for our house RE Taxes!!!!!!!!!!
Oh!!! :eek: That sounds hard to handle.

You are making me feel much better about the shock of having to pay $2,178.43 for my property taxes last week. Up $56.95 from last year.

Felt like a sucker punch in the gut and it wasn't even half of what you had to pay. :(

Wrote a check today (remember those?) for a new HVAC system - $11,600. Should get $2,000 back in the form of a heat pump tax credit when I file my 2023 return.

Wrote a check today (remember those?) for a new HVAC system - $11,600. Should get $2,000 back in the form of a heat pump tax credit when I file my 2023 return.

Ouch!!! I guess I'm lucky that my HVAC system died in 2016. I paid $7,277, which seemed like a lot at the time (before much of the recent inflation). But, my new Trane system has worked flawlessly ever since (with lower bills!) and has greatly improved my quality of life during the past 7 years.

In Louisiana and Texas, having a good HVAC system is GOLD. :D :dance: Also I think the older I get, the more I value creature comforts such as good HVAC. So, I'd say that your $11,600 is money well spent!

Is that 6 months worth? Mine just went up 25% from last year. Now paying $6000/year. Town was reassessed and our value went up 70% which is more inline with today's market. Tax rate went down but not enough to end up at the same yearly approx $4800.

So a $1200 annual increase.:(

Makes me feel better about paying $4200 after our new valuations. I used to pay about half that on our former (crummy) home up north.

Makes me feel better about paying $4200 after our new valuations. I used to pay about half that on our former (crummy) home up north.

I have to admit, that the great value I hold for my "Dream Home" softens the blow of real estate taxes every year (and homeowner's insurance, and flood insurance, and wind'n'hail insurance, and routine maintenance....) :LOL:

Sort of BTD: Now that we're in heating season, I set up my furnace humidifier. I turned the water saddle needle....or should I say tried to turn it. It wouldn't budge. This was my second one on that pipe; there technically was room for a 3rd. But the thought of going to Home Depot, adding new feeder tube, etc turned me off. I took one finger, put it on my cell phone, and called a plumber.
He replaced that entire section of pipe, and put in a "normal" valve. I was beyond-happy to write that check (got a discount, only $250).

Yeah, I paid mine by credit card. They were about that much. Many people's assessed values doubled even though assessments are done every 2 years. In an effort to give people an incentive to pay early (apparently paying means you drop your right to appeal) they waived credit card fees. I had no issue with mine so I did. Well, there goes my FICO score for one month I've paid the credit card bill in full already, of course.

Last edited:
We are leaving a week from today for two months in Phoenix and three months in Palm Springs, Phoenix will be via VRBO and Palm Springs in the same condo we've rented for five years.

While I'm in Palm Springs I will have cataract surgery. I have an appointment in LA on February 6th and an appointment in Rancho Mirage on February 8th. Since it's my eyes, I want to have two different opinions. I am really looking forward to talking to the surgeon in LA, I've been watching his informative YouTube videos and like how well he explains things. He also really likes the standard lens so I feel like he won't recommend lenses to make a higher profit, I feel like I can trust him.

I never thought of Property taxes being BTD but I just paid mine, $6312.96. The value of my home has doubled in the 20 years I have lived in it, so that helps.

We are leaving a week from today for two months in Phoenix and three months in Palm Springs, Phoenix will be via VRBO and Palm Springs in the same condo we've rented for five years.

While I'm in Palm Springs I will have cataract surgery. I have an appointment in LA on February 6th and an appointment in Rancho Mirage on February 8th. Since it's my eyes, I want to have two different opinions. I am really looking forward to talking to the surgeon in LA, I've been watching his informative YouTube videos and like how well he explains things. He also really likes the standard lens so I feel like he won't recommend lenses to make a higher profit, I feel like I can trust him.

I had a few follow ups after my cataract surgery. My eyes were very dry.

So are you traveling long distance to get the procedure done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom