Blow that Dough 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk about property taxes makes me happy that I live in the state of low taxes and paid 400/year for mine.

Bought a guitar. The last time I owned one was in college, and that was in the late 70’s.

Hopefully with u tube I can give it a whirl.

Attachments

• IMG_0846.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 8
Makes me feel better about paying $4200 after our new valuations. I used to pay about half that on our former (crummy) home up north.

:facepalm: Ours also went from four something to over five grand this year. Ouch. I hate to research what it cost to build a 1922 'Craftsman Bungalow' in the day.

Heh heh heh - It's just ducky to be 'historic.' :D :greetings10:

I had a few follow ups after my cataract surgery. My eyes were very dry.

So are you traveling long distance to get the procedure done?

I have been wintering in Palm Springs for the last four or five years. This year I will be there from February - April. Since the appointment is in early February I should be able to get both eyes done and do the follow up appointments.

I really like the Dr. in LA. I've watched his YouTube videos and he was ranked #3 in the country in 2021 by Newsweek; other eye doctors did the ranking. I want to see what he recommends for the lenses. However, I would like the surgeon in Rancho Mirage, who is ranked high for the area, to do the surgery because I don't want to keep driving to the appointments in LA.

What lenses did you get and are you happy with the outcome?

I have been wintering in Palm Springs for the last four or five years. This year I will be there from February - April. Since the appointment is in early February I should be able to get both eyes done and do the follow up appointments.

I really like the Dr. in LA. I've watched his YouTube videos and he was ranked #3 in the country in 2021 by Newsweek; other eye doctors did the ranking. I want to see what he recommends for the lenses. However, I would like the surgeon in Rancho Mirage, who is ranked high for the area, to do the surgery because I don't want to keep driving to the appointments in LA.

What lenses did you get and are you happy with the outcome?

Fixed lens only on right eye.

So I need glasses for distance with more correction on the left eye.

Taken me several years to adjust but I can’t read screens with glasses so I use them to drive or watch TV. I can do either without glasses but use them when I can.

I wonder about having the adjustable lenses so that I don’t have to wear glasses at all.

But it’s been over 5 years and maybe at some point I need the left eye done.

I've been busily BingTD.
* Last year I got a Tesla Model Y Long Range (after driving my Saab for 20 years)
* Several toys and improvements for the Tesla
* Several multi-thousand-mile road trips, with 3 more planned this winter/spring
* This week the workers are installing solar on my house (which will save me almost $2000 a year in electric bills, so maybe that's cheating)
* Next week my new ebike gets delivered (Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0)

I need to slow down. My accounts won't sustain this level of largesse forever. :D

Last edited:
DH has been going crazy with online ordering this month. Admittedly things had piled up in his wishlist while we’ve been traveling the past many months.

He ordered an iPhone 15
He ordered the new MacBook Pro 14”
He ordered a new Canon expensive camera body
He ordered the latest Canon macro lens

Plus a bunch of smaller items that we’ve needed for a while.

That may be his personal toys for a while. My job is to manage the cashflow. :D

Pushed the buy button on my Amazon list today for Christmas, $450.
Still need to buy the DGKs bike and trike.
Grandma went a little crazy this year.
But they are worth every penny to see the smiles and enjoyment.

4 tickets to the Reliaquest Bowl.

My son had 2 of his buddies over yesterday for football and they were giving him a hard time about joining them for the bowl game in Tampa over NYE/NYD weekend. They were all screwing around on their phones looking at tickets but very indecisive. I logged onto seatgeek, picked 4 on the 50 yard line, and done. Boom! "Here you go guys, 4 ticks, done, on me...go have fun." They were shocked.

They want me to go with them but I don't know that I want to crash my son's party. I've known these guys forever and it's nice to seem them now as adults.

My son had 2 of his buddies over yesterday for football and they were giving him a hard time about joining them for the bowl game in Tampa over NYE/NYD weekend. They were all screwing around on their phones looking at tickets but very indecisive. I logged onto seatgeek, picked 4 on the 50 yard line, and done. Boom! "Here you go guys, 4 ticks, done, on me...go have fun." They were shocked.

They want me to go with them but I don't know that I want to crash my son's party. I've known these guys forever and it's nice to seem them now as adults.

Very nice Dad!:cool:

What a special treat!

It is fun to do things like this for our kids. We could never afford something like that when we were early career and raising the kids. But love being able to do random special things like this now. Feel so blessed.

You ROCK!:dance:

It is fun to do things like this for our kids. We could never afford something like that when we were early career and raising the kids. But love being able to do random special things like this now. Feel so blessed.

I agree. DS and DDIL are very good with money and DS' job provides well for the family- but I like to provide the occasional "frills"- not enough to take away their independence or their pride in the life they've built together, but occasional travel, restaurant meals, etc. Last week we celebrated my granddaughter's 7th birthday. She chose a place that does expensive comfort food (Iowa Machine Shed). Two adults, 3 kids, $120 with tip and that included only one glass of wine (me; DS and DDIL are teetotalers and generally order tap water). I doubt they would have done that with their own funds and it was wonderful to celebrate with them. I also took all 3 kids to the local hotel for one night-the first time we included the youngest, who's 4- so they could enjoy the pool, riding the elevators, ice cream treats at night, etc. I sure hope DS and DDIL took advantage of a night to themselves.;)

DW just bought $90 of honey. Since it never goes bad, I'll call it her inflation hedge.

Bought a new mattress yesterday, will be delivered tomorrow. $6098.99, including delivery and removal of old mattress. :eek:

But, boy was it comfy. DH got a quick 20 minute nap while testing.
Tempur-Luxebreeze soft King.
Price included $300 off, plus $200 extra free "stuff"(pillows, bedding, your choice)--we choose new pillows, which actually cost almost $400, but the salesman included them for free.

Our old tempupedic is 14 years old and has had indents for a couple years, not enough for the warranty, so we have been wanting a new mattress for a bit.

We went to three mattress stores and tried several brands--sleep number, purple, sterns and foster, sealy, serta, and tempurpedic.

I also took all 3 kids to the local hotel for one night-the first time we included the youngest, who's 4- so they could enjoy the pool, riding the elevators, ice cream treats at night, etc. I sure hope DS and DDIL took advantage of a night to themselves.;)
Sounds wonderful.

We're no where close to grand kids yet, but I can't wait to do stuff like this. Or teaching them to cook.

I agree. DS and DDIL are very good with money and DS' job provides well for the family- but I like to provide the occasional "frills"- not enough to take away their independence or their pride in the life they've built together, but occasional travel, restaurant meals, etc. Last week we celebrated my granddaughter's 7th birthday. She chose a place that does expensive comfort food (Iowa Machine Shed). Two adults, 3 kids, $120 with tip and that included only one glass of wine (me; DS and DDIL are teetotalers and generally order tap water). I doubt they would have done that with their own funds and it was wonderful to celebrate with them. I also took all 3 kids to the local hotel for one night-the first time we included the youngest, who's 4- so they could enjoy the pool, riding the elevators, ice cream treats at night, etc. I sure hope DS and DDIL took advantage of a night to themselves.;)

Heh, heh, hoping for yet MORE grand kids?? :angel::blush:

A couple of months ago I began building a list of "unnecessary technology refresh" items. "Unnecessary" meaning the current items work fine, I just feel like buying newer/better. My first purchase is a new 10" travel tablet, on sale during Cyber Monday week for $100 - 8GB memory, 128GB storage. Included a stylus, case case, wireless mouse, and wireless keyboard.

Once my Christmas/Hanukkah/Holiday "obligations" are finished (hopefully by Monday), I will spend more time focusing on my list, as a gift to myself :LOL:.

3.2K for personal training and group fitness classes at a small studio in the neighborhood.

3.2K for personal training and group fitness classes at a small studio in the neighborhood.

I pay that annually for my gym membership at the nicest gym in town, 1-2 training sessions a week and 2 Pilates classes a week. Money better spent than on health insurance I feel. Less blow that dough, more “save your life “!

Broke down and ordered my new Dji Mini 4 Pro with ND Filters, it will be here tomorrow.

Why the smaller drone?

Cost or thinking that there will be fewer restrictions on where you can fly it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom