Blow That Dough! - 2019

Getting daughter settled for freshman year at college.

Flew 1st class from Hawaii to Texas (but look at the savings on the 4 checked bags!), buying her stuff for room is already close to $2k. But she got'a bunch of free running gear for being on the XC team!

Good thing I'm stopping in Vegas on the way back so I can recoup these costs.

I just signed a contract to have the carpet in out home replaced with wood flooring. Set it up as 12 months same as cash:D

Heard the new shell lobsters were running in Maine so DGF and I drove up for a four day trip.
Yum!

I have two bodies but not the same model.

But no way can I pack both of them for international trips, much less hike around all day with both.
I got back into photography many years after my Nikon SLR and 4 lenses were stolen. The obvious choice was a micro four thirds system because I didn't want camera gear too heavy to travel with or to carry all day. My trinity of primes and their 35mm equivalent (in parentheses) weigh:
12 (24) mm f2.0 4.6 oz
20 (40) mm f1.7 3.1 oz
45 (90) mm f1.8 4.1 oz

Just upgraded most of the hotels on next months trip from two star to four and five star. Why not? But I still shopped for the best value within that group. Old habits die hard.

Picked up a few items at the NEX today. A 55" LG OLED retail for $1699. a BOSE 500 sound bar for $499 and a Scott Burke paddle board for $399. They had a % scatch off deal starting today. Rang them all up and scratched off only a 5% so put the tv and sound bar back. Second purchase was the tv and sound bar. This time I scatched off 25%. Turns out the tv was not $1699 but $1199 on sale. So basically I got $2600 worth of stuff for less $1655.

paddle board $380
tv and sound bar $1275

SCORE!

Picked up a few items at the NEX today. A 55" LG OLED retail for $1699. a BOSE 500 sound bar for $499 and a Scott Burke paddle board for $399. They had a % scatch off deal starting today. Rang them all up and scratched off only a 5% so put the tv and sound bar back. Second purchase was the tv and sound bar. This time I scatched off 25%. Turns out the tv was not $1699 but $1199 on sale. So basically I got $2600 worth of stuff for less $1655.

paddle board $380
tv and sound bar $1275

SCORE!

guess I haven't really blown that dough yet. Turns out I purchased that stuff with a new 0% for 12 months card. I will pay the min each month while the money sits in the MM making 2.3%

I tried to blow that dough.

I have been blowing plenty of dough on a full home renovation this year. I already upgraded the electrical system, installed hardwood floor throughout, built a laundry closet, and installed electric shutters. Over the next couple of months, I'll change the front door, get a new kitchen put in, a fresh paint job throughout, and a recessed ceiling installed.

I am also buying all new furniture. I left pretty much all my furniture behind during my last move. Out with the old, in with the new.

And I am stocking up on wine (several cases of Bordeaux were delivered last week).

Bid on and got an upgrade to Saga Premium for my IcelandAir flight later this week. We had paid extra for exit room and more legroom but this gives us more width as well (and perhaps less legroom, but enough for us). +$470 for the two of us for the outbound leg (5 hour flight).

My next dough-blowing decision is whether to go for daily parking in the garage for $25/day, or economy parking for $10. It's actually less walking with Economy parking since the shuttle takes you to the door. I just dislike waiting for the shuttle on the return, though I should be thru customs more quickly than my son with my Global Entry.

Travel

Bid on and got an upgrade to Saga Premium for my IcelandAir flight later this week. We had paid extra for exit room and more legroom but this gives us more width as well (and perhaps less legroom, but enough for us). +$470 for the two of us for the outbound leg (5 hour flight).

My next dough-blowing decision is whether to go for daily parking in the garage for $25/day, or economy parking for $10. It's actually less walking with Economy parking since the shuttle takes you to the door. I just dislike waiting for the shuttle on the return, though I should be thru customs more quickly than my son with my Global Entry.

Good on Ya. In the middle of an MCO-DXB-BKK-DXB-MCO trip. Guess this one qualifies as blowing a little. Primary purpose was to pick up a unique bronze ice bucket that we couldn’t get on the last trip. RT Emirates coach (have flown their business as well, just depends on the deal). Couple of weeks in nice Marriott suites and some good food. So, transportation and handling for three $50 ice buckets seems to qualify as blowing a little. Not to mention a couple of impulse buys along the way.

The real nice surprise was a complimentary and unrequested upgrade to Business Class for the DXB-BKK leg.

I’ll have to check out Iceland Air.

Safe Travels.

Neither. Get a car service to and from the airport! On long trips it makes more sense for me; the extra cost of a car service over what I'd pay for parking for anything over a week or so isn't that much. While I've used Uber, I still use a private service to go to and from the airport because I know exactly what I'm getting. SO nice to hand your luggage to the driver who's already waiting for you and head out the door.

Neither. Get a car service to and from the airport! On long trips it makes more sense for me; the extra cost of a car service over what I'd pay for parking for anything over a week or so isn't that much. While I've used Uber, I still use a private service to go to and from the airport because I know exactly what I'm getting. SO nice to hand your luggage to the driver who's already waiting for you and head out the door.
Not from 150 miles away, LOL!

HadEnuffs thread about the boat got me to pull the trigger on buying a used Miata. The test drive was to much fun, and the price couldn't be beat.
I'll pick it up tomorrow or next day.

HadEnuffs thread about the boat got me to pull the trigger on buying a used Miata. The test drive was to much fun, and the price couldn't be beat.
I'll pick it up tomorrow or next day.

Congrats. You will love it.
Still love my 2011 BMW Z4. Will keep it until I can't get into it, or the maintenance goes through the roof.

Congrats. You will love it.
Still love my 2011 BMW Z4. Will keep it until I can't get into it, or the maintenance goes through the roof.

Thanks.
I had an old Austin Healy Sprite when I was a kid. Funest car to drive to the mechanics and back. Hope the Miata is as reliable as touted.
Picked it up today and did a couple of rides. Smiling like a goon.

Ordered up 2 pounds of fresh lobster claw meat, gonna make some lobster rolls - :)

DW doesn't know about the thread but she's starting to contribute. We picked up her new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, just over 50k. This is the 5th Wrangler we've owned and it's not like the rest of them! Twice the price and twice the ride.

Our youngest DD is getting married next weekend. A church wedding followed by a sit-down dinner for 190 friends and relatives. Blow that dough!

DW and I had airline vouchers that are expiring at the end of this month. We decided not to waste them, looked for somewhere to fly to, and booked a trip to Las Vegas in October. Will do sightseeing - Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, and "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas". :)

The flight cost was very low with the vouchers, so perhaps not really "blowing that dough" for that expense. But we are mulling over staying at one of the more "luxurious" hotels on the Vegas strip instead of one in the hotel chains that we have points - so that may be a "blow that dough" option. :)

Last week spent a few nights in Nashville.
Last night we had 4 tickets to USWNT at the Linc.
As SIL remarked at dinner, we're done with the cheap sh*t!

Bought my first BMW, an R1200RT. Never would have thought it would be a motorcycle and not a car. I've gone through periods in my life where I would lust after a BMW 3-Series. Fortunately, my FIRE plans kept me from biting that bullet. Now I'm throwing caution to the wind and reliving the carefree motorcycle riding of my youth--before I can't!

We bought another boat this weekend. It's mostly for the kids to use and to have a boat at the camp when DH is fishing in Louisiana as he likes to do in the winter. DH says he got a great deal on it. It isn't new and will need a little work. Youngest son is thrilled and spent most of the day cleaning it, and stocking it, and grinning like it was Christmas morning. The smile on his face after the test drive was worth every penny.

Back
Top Bottom