Bought a mountain bike today

dm

Full time employment: Posting here.
I havn't ridden a bike that didn't have a motor since I was in junior high. But the wife has mentioned I should buy one so I could go on rides with her and we could take them camping. I no nothing about bikes but I did a little research and looked through craigslist and ended up with this one. Its a 2001 model and it truly looks brand new.

Hopefully a few years from now I wont end up selling it and the next guy say's the same thing.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 8
Nice bike - where is the helmet?

Enjoy! My bike looks similar but its got a comfy gel seat for those of us with tender tails :blush:

I got my last Specialized Hardrock free with Discovercard give backs.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cycling. If you are 50 or over, join the 50+ group at bikeforums.net with T-Al and me.

MTB is a blast. Remember your bike maintenance.

I suggest you pay attention to getting a saddle that is comfortable for you. My DH hated cycling until I convinced him to buy a comfy saddle (costs less than $35) and get the saddle and seat post positioned properly. Men tend to have trouble with their "man-parts" if you skip this step. If you have any doubt (or any pain), a good bike shop will help you with this.

Thanks everyone. I plan today to make a trip to a bike shop and get a helmet and probably a new seat.

Nice bike. I took up mountain biking in April this year. Loving it and it is helping with fitness and weight loss.

Your profile doesn't mention your age but a word to the wise. The tendency (with fools like me anyway) is to enjoy the rush at the beginning and go a little to fast... as with investing, slow speed growth is optimal to overall health and to avoid a crash !

That works for me too, except mine currently has a cover and heater.

Mine is in my cart shed waiting on a break in the weather. Only got to 39 today and had a few snow flurries. Our greens are covered, but might be warm enough Friday to play. Cold weather got here early.:(

I suggest you pay attention to getting a saddle that is comfortable for you. My DH hated cycling until I convinced him to buy a comfy saddle (costs less than $35) and get the saddle and seat post positioned properly. Men tend to have trouble with their "man-parts" if you skip this step. If you have any doubt (or any pain), a good bike shop will help you with this.

for years and years i had heard people rave about brooks' seats. i have been nervous to pull the trigger on one and my uncle handed an extra over. man...is it the best thing ever!! not sure how it would work on intense mountain biking, but all my bikes are getting a brooks b17!

congrats dm on the new steed!!

Isn't that a Klein hanging on the wall in the background on the old Seinfeld series?

btw: Went on a bike ride with the grandkids this afternoon. Somehow I bent the back rim :(

for years and years i had heard people rave about brooks' seats. i have been nervous to pull the trigger on one and my uncle handed an extra over. man...is it the best thing ever!! not sure how it would work on intense mountain biking, but all my bikes are getting a brooks b17!

congrats dm on the new steed!!

That doesn't look good for your prostrate.

Take a look at these with the indent in the middle.
Bike Saddles at REI.com

That doesn't look good for your prostrate.

Take a look at these with the indent in the middle.
Bike Saddles at REI.com

been down that road. ridden all kinds of saddles. only put in a little over 3000 miles this year. all my bikes will get brooks. if i had a mountain bike i was only going to ride on dual track, it would get a brooks.

we have been trying to have a kid for the last 6 months....:whistle:

Congrats on the new bike. I have a Bianchi road bike that I bought in 2004 and and love it. I've had lots of fun and just ordered a Surly LHT (touring bike) for some bikecamping. I am going with a Brooks saddle since it will be long days in the saddle. Enjoy your bike. It's an addiction!

Looks nice!! I stopped riding mine when the crank came loose and I wasn't able to keep it tight. The old seat doesn't feel real good either. I keep meaning to take it to a shop and have it gone over and buy a new gel seat. I used to have all kinds of fun on it and now I live in the country so I have lots of places to ride. Sounds like something I need to take care of after the holidays.

Hope you enjoy your new toy!

Looks very nice. I bought a nice road bike a few years ago as I'd always preferred that style. However, I wish I had bought a mountain bike, commuter or something more upright now. But I'd take such a hit on selling the road bike, that I just stick with it.

Enjoy the new ride!

I went to the local bike shop today and got a helmet. Sadly they are going out of buisness, but everything was half off. After reading the above article I figure it would be better to put in some seat time before changing out the seat. But I do like the looks of those Brooks saddles. The problem is the weather is lousy, so it may be awhile.

Back
Top Bottom