Join Early Retirement Today

Car Mileage after FIRE
Old 09-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Car Mileage after FIRE

For my car only:
Before - about 15,600 a year
After - about 5,300 a year
Reduction - about 10,300 miles a year

This is based on records I have on my purr-mobile. DH hasn't been retired a full year yet, but I would guess his mileage will go down about 5,150 a year based on his much shorter former commute.

Using the current IRS mileage rate of 55.5 cents per mile, our combined reduced mileage equates to $8,575 per year. Not sure if this reflects anywhere near the true savings.

I am sure giving up the commute to work is priceless

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Before retirement ~16,000 miles a year
After retirement ~8,000 miles a year

Old 09-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Our numbers were a little mixed because of (1) sea duty and (2) I rode my bicycle a lot.

But overall spouse went from 6000+ miles/year (on a 30x40 island) to under 3000.

Sometimes when I do a six-month oil change it hasn't even turned brown yet.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Before - about 26,000 a year
After - about 7,500 a year

Don't miss the daily commute at all...
Old 09-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
But overall spouse went from 6000+ miles/year (on a 30x40 island) to under 3000.
Wow, Nords, that's a SMALL island!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. My old round trip commute to work was over 50 miles!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Administrator

Before retirement - - - 3500 miles/year.
After retirement - - - - 1400 miles/year.

BUT, we haven't had a hurricane evacuation so far since I retired (keeping my fingers crossed) and have not gone on a road trip yet, either. Either one would easily double the yearly miles driven.

I only live a mile and a half from my former workplace, so that's 3 miles per workday or (assuming 9 workdays every two weeks, times 26 two week periods)only about 700 miles/year directly saved due to not driving to and from work.

Today I drove for about an hour or so around town after lunch. I have started doing that more frequently, to "exercise" my Venza (so to speak) as well as for pleasure.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Before retirement I was about 24,000 and after I am about 18,000 miles.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I was getting 33 mpg when I w*rked, but now with more short trips, my mileage is down to 31.5 mpg.

Distance driven per year went from about 15,000 down to 10,500 mpy.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I told my Allstate auto insurance agent that I now drive less than 5000 miles per year... and it was worth a discount on my premium.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post
I told my Allstate auto insurance agent that I now drive less than 5000 miles per year... and it was worth a discount on my premium.
That reminds me...haven't called our agent since DH retired last April. Might be worth a good discount!

Don't have Progressive Insurance but sure do love their spokeslady
Attached Images
File Type: jpg progressive.jpg (18.4 KB, 225 views)
Old 09-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Was low before retirement (owned '89 Ford Festiva for 18 years - 72000 miles).
Since retirement: less than 2000 miles/year.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. My old round trip commute to work was over 50 miles!
At our first house the road/bicycle trail was 11 miles each way to Pearl Harbor. I could usually beat the rush-hour traffic going downhill to the Harbor and sometimes I could even beat it pedaling uphill going home. It was a great way to work off the day's stress before I got home. I'd track the car vs bicycle mileage and for nearly three years I was putting in more miles on the bike.

We moved a few miles up the road and my bicycle commute turned into 13 miles each way, but unfortunately it added one of Oahu's most wicked hills and its most dangerous bridge. It nearly doubled the bicycle commute time. I did the ride a few times and decided I'd been green enough.

These days, among surfing and taekwondo and spouse's weights workout, I haven't ridden for years.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't had the time (i.e., to lazy ) to calculate the actual milage comparisons. But I know that since FIRE, I've driven a lot more. The major reason is I used to travel to w*rk on via commuter train, so no daily traffic round trips. Also, since FIRE'ing had the time to drive around more. The nice thing is since everyday is a Saturday I can freely pick and choose what time I wish to drive.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
That reminds me...haven't called our agent since DH retired last April. Might be worth a good discount!

Don't have Progressive Insurance but sure do love their spokeslady
If you have not done so tell the agent you no longer drive to work or school. That means a significant cut in the premium, since you are no longer exposed to rush hour. That actually may make a bigger difference than the mileage, since long travel does not expose as much as rush hour.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

My mileage doubled the last six years of employment due to a transfer. I'm back to about 10,000 miles per year now (projecting that figure on how much I've driven the last six months).
Old 09-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #17

Before retiring 18,000
After retiring 6-7,000
Old 09-16-2011, 12:10 AM   #18

I am going to buck the trend here.

Before retiring - 3,100 miles.
After retiring - 3,300 miles.

I did not use my car to go to and from work. I walked to the train then took the train(s) to work. I now drive around more during the day and at night on some of the days I used to work, all local driving so it ain't far.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Yeah, it's even worse than 30 X 40 miles would suggest (as the island isn't rectangular). The approx. area (sq. mi.) of Oahu is 596. That IS small. About the size of a typical midwestern county.

Having said that, my mileage has stayed about the same since retirement and moving to Paradise. I no longer commute, but almost every place I go on Oahu (shopping, church, restaurants, friends, other businesses) are further away than they were when I lived in a "square" town on the mainland. Old "typical" trips were 3 or 4 miles. Now, they are 8 to 12 for the same things. Here there is always a mountain or bay that gets in the way of a straight point-to-point trip. But, I'm not complaining! Now, getting there is half the fun.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:44 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yeah, it's even worse than 30 X 40 miles would suggest (as the island isn't rectangular). The approx. area (sq. mi.) of Oahu is 596. That IS small. About the size of a typical midwestern county.

Having said that, my mileage has stayed about the same since retirement and moving to Paradise. I no longer commute, but almost every place I go on Oahu (shopping, church, restaurants, friends, other businesses) are further away than they were when I lived in a "square" town on the mainland. Old "typical" trips were 3 or 4 miles. Now, they are 8 to 12 for the same things. Here there is always a mountain or bay that gets in the way of a straight point-to-point trip. But, I'm not complaining! Now, getting there is half the fun.
Actually, I thought Nords was saying 30X40 FEET!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote