Do you dread weekends?

SamHouston

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm finally getting settled in with the RE mindset and a strange realization hit me yesterday morning: I really don't like weekends anymore.

The coffee shop is crowded, bookstores are crammed with customers who practically trash the stores, lines are longer everywhere, it takes longer to get anywhere I want to be. My neighborhood streets are filled with enough traffic to make me nervous on my bike rides. Worst of all, the local park is packed and all the cool, shady spots are taken so there's not a good place to cool down after my walks.

What's with all these weekend-retirees? >:D

I'm with you - I much prefer to visit area parks, shopping, etc during the week. I am not totally retired but work from home with a flexible enouogh schedule that I have the luxury of timing my outings. I live nearby several state parks that I try to avoid on weekends. I always try to vacation in the off season - when possible.

I really don't like weekends anymore.
It's even worse when your school-age children are home!

We spend the weekends in our hermit cave. Sure, we have father-daughter surfing and our kid spends most of her time doing homework or hanging with her friends, but it's no fun having to drive somewhere or visit a store.

We tend to save up all the really nasty chores for the weekend-- laundry, dishwasher, housecleaning, and yardwork. Then after a couple days of hard work we can kick back and say "Thank goodness it's Monday!!"

It's nice to have a 5-day weekend now instead of the traditional one, isn't it?

I really don't like weekends anymore.

>:D

Glad someone else said it first. I was afraid I was becoming a curmudgeon. Here on beautiful Colorado weekends the trail heads are packed with environmentally conscious SUV drivers. The roads are overrun with packs of road racers, some who ride two abreast on two lane roads. The dog parks are crowded with unruly canines. Also, the coffee houses are hectic, the restaurants are overbooked, and, now that it's summer, the tourists are in town.

Still, it's better than Ohio, my former home. :D

For a retired golfer, weekends truly suck. I can get up at my leisure during the week and go play anytime I desire. If I want to play on a weekend, I better be ready to tee it up by 8:00am to beat the crowd. :rant:

Yep, stores are too crowded, the beach is overflowing...

Weekends are times to stay home and relax.

Allegedly.

Very much.

It's been so hot here I didn't make my usual Friday AM grocery run. I went today. Very stressful for a hermit.

Mondays are the new Fridays!

I look forward to Monday. Friday is a day that I need to run around and get anything I need for the interim, so I don't have to deal with the traffic and people mess of the weekend.

Schools been out enough now, it's time for all of them to go back! And all of their working parents to resume their usual school-year schedules.

The pain of it all, having to associate with the likes of the working class. Hopefully they're out spending and stimulating the economy.

Maybe we should demand restitution from the government for loss of use. Maybe a tax cut, even better, unemployment benefits for the retired. :D

We live in an area where a lot of people come to get away from the city and enjoy the mountains. Weekends are the pits. As an example the lake near us was wall to wall people on Sunday. We went there on Tuesday and had the lake to ourselves. It is so nice on Sunday to see the weekenders go home.

Now our weekends start on Monday and last until Friday.

Two weeks into ER and I can't wait for Monday!

School was out for many of the schools and the High Schools had graduation this weekend so there was no place to have a nice sit-down dinner.

Traffic sucks on Saturday (Sundays are never all that bad for obvious reasons). But, we make a point to avoid lunch places from 11-2 and traffic at 8-9am and 4-6pm.

We have also discovered that camping Friday-Sunday (after Memorial Day) is the pits. Zero spots within a days drive.

We are leaving for a 6 day trip on Monday and will come back on Saturday. We should be OK except for the tourists in the National Parks we will be near (3 of them).

We are adjusting to every day being Saturday (well Monday now). :D

Yep, stores are too crowded, the beach is overflowing...

Weekends are times to stay home and relax.

Allegedly.

Yep! I normally don't do any shopping on weekends. Even during the week, if I need to shop, I usually go early in the morning.....around 6am....haven't had to stand in line yet! On weekends I usually hang out around home and relax.

And like Sam said.....T.G.I.M. :)

Wow, I totally agree! Going to any shopping area is the pits on the weekends, but take me to Wal-Mart on Monday! Ditto for Home Depot, and places like that especially. We love Bob Evans for a late breakfast, but there's usually a 30-60 minute wait on the weekend. Not so on weekdays, where not only can you get a table anytime, the prices are better!!

Love the expression, "Mondays are the new Fridays".

It's Monday, gotta get my errands done! :D

CJ

Takes a bit of adjusting ... went to the Depot at 10 am one Saturday and said "never again". Then took the clan out to breakfast one Sunday morning ... 30 minute wait to the get seated ... "never again". I am catching on.

This is a problem I look forward to having one day. :D

Not so fast, C-I-F!!!

You will be giving a lot up:

No more paid holidays.
No paid sick time... you get sick on your own time!
No more paid vacation time. You pay for it.
No more paid Personal Days if you have them now.
No more "the weather is so lousy today that I'm actually glad I'm at work".
No more getting paid while thinking about home projects, doing doctor/dentist visits, calling up people, surfing the internet, etc.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm thinking about it on my own time!

Love the expression, "Mondays are the new Fridays".

Thanks! If that expression later appears in somebody's retirement book, I'm gonna want compensation! :D

Yeah its kind of a bummer when theres a big holiday event and everyone seems to be having a good time and for you...its just another day

;)

I'm finally getting settled in with the RE mindset and a strange realization hit me yesterday morning: I really don't like weekends anymore.
Bingo!

I absolutely DREAD long holiday weekends. As an RVer, those are the worst!

We usually figure out where to "hide" on the weekends.

Weekdays we often have State Parks or large RV Parks all to ourselves (mostly).

Audrey

Well, I'm still working, but I get around the "too crowded " problem by working on Saturday. Restaurants are much less crowded Sunday nights and Mondays! Sunday mornings .. eh, not so good.

It didn't take too long after I retired to discover that the traffic was much worse on the weekends and the stores are much more crowded. Did grocery shopping today and it was wonderfully uncrowded.

I'm not retired yet, I have another 113 trips to make to the office...but who's counting?

I like boating and fishing as a hobby and it's really going to be nice to go to the lake on Monday morning, camp out and make it back home by Thursday nite so I don't have to deal with the weekend crowd. :)

Back
Top Bottom