How many TV sets do you have in your house? POLL

How Many Active TV's in Your Home?

• Total voters

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
A close retired friend of mine and I were recently talking about the most recent Comcast outage (yeah, we know they suck - but not many choices here). The conversation went to equipment we have in our homes and what we watch (or DW watches). My friend, a retired exec from Anadarko, with no kids at home, told me they have seen (7) TV sets throughout their house. I was flabbergasted.:eek:

We have three TV's and only two are used. One is on many hours of the day and the other about 2 hours per day. The third one is about "shot" (bad color) and resides in the master bedroom and never gets watched since I can't sleep without total silence. DW, on the other hand, is connected by an invisible cable to the TV in the family room that would be left on 24 hours a day unless I turn it off when she is not in the room.

My friend was not sure which of his 7 TV's is used the most but said that his DW needs to have one in on every room she is in at that time. I know he has a 4 bedroom, 3,500 square foot house and presume the TV's are located in bedrooms, the kitchen and family gathering areas. He did say one TV was in a bathroom. :confused:

I thought that having 7 TV's was an excess until I casually asked my retired Shell Exec BIL who lives nearby (two people, no kids at home, 4,500 sq. ft. house) how many TV's they had since he just switched to Comcast and dumped their long association with TIVO. I was shocked when he told me they had 10 (ten), yes, TEN TV's! His reasoning for 10 was that they kind of grew out of needs when grand-kids were visiting and needed TV's to watch in remote bedrooms. I also believe they have a kitchen TV, at least two bathroom TV's and one in the laundry room.

Am I believing this may be the norm with well-to-do retired (or not retired) folks these days? Post in the poll and give an explanation for that number if you want.

Active: connected to a TV feed (cable, antenna) and ready to use by turning it on.

Inactive: Sitting there not able to display content without connecting it to a source.

Last edited:
Just one - 65in in the living room. More than enough

BTW: you didn't allow for "zero". I would be amazed if there aren't people on the board who have no TV!

Just one - 65in in the living room. More than enough

BTW: you didn't allow for "zero". I would be amazed if there aren't people on the board who have no TV!

Ah, nice catch! Maybe one of the Mods can add that to the table.:)

Didn't respond yet since I'm not sure what you want by "active" TVs.

We have 4 TVs in our home... all flat screens... in order of use.... a 48" Vizio in our great room, a 32" Samsung in DW's sewing loft, a 32" Vizio in our downstairs family room and a 19" generic brand in the guest bedroom.

In our Florida condo we have a 68" 4K LG in the great room and a 30" generic brand in the master bedroom that came with the condo and rarely gets used.

So 6 in total but only 4 in our main home.

TV? Sure, I've got them. Quite a few.

Active? Ummm... This is tougher.

Active as in "plugged into the wall", or as in "being turned on in the last month or year"?

Man, I now have to think hard.

Two.

One in the family room and one in the master bedroom.

We used to have one in the guest room, but no guest ever watched it, so it went away.

DW and I *may* watch more "TV" on our iPads than on the TVs these days. It varies though.

Active: connected to a TV feed (cable, antenna) and ready to use by turning it on.

Inactive: Sitting there not able to display content without connecting it to a source.

I've got 3 in one room for watching college football on Saturdays.

I also have a small TV in the kitchen which makes cooking and dish washing more enjoyable.

We have 3 by the OP's definition, but only 2 are active in practice. I'd be fine with 1 DW wouldn't...

How about no antenna or cable, but connected to a power outlet and also to a DVD, but that DVD has not been turned on for some forgotten time?

Two. One is in the downstairs family room and is used daily by DW. The other is in the guest room and while it is plugged in and connected to cable, can go six months or longer without being turned on.

I rarely watch TV anymore, I see more of that at the gym than I do at home.

Two. One is in the downstairs family room and is used daily by DW. The other is in the guest room and while it is plugged in and connected to cable, can go six months or longer without being turned on.

I rarely watch TV anymore, I see more of that at the gym than I do at home.

Same here. I have two plasma TVs. The older 60" Samsung is plugged in and connected to an OTA antenna but can go six months or longer without being turned on.

The 55" (newer, 2013) Panasonic is connected to an OTA antenna, and is used now and then by F who sometimes wants to show me something he likes on his Netflix account. Other than that, I watched Hurricane Harvey coverage on it, but nothing else so far in 2017.

I just haven't been interested in TV lately.

Last edited:
We have only one. A 42" in the living room. Haven't had cable since 2010, just OTA.

DW and I have already decided that when this one goes we aren't getting another one.
Only use it to watch a little news in the morning when eating breakfast.

Otherwise, we are on tablets or my laptop. The internet serves all our TV and movie needs.

We have 1 used occasionally for DVDs and some OTA sports. We have never had cable.

I answered 2 because there are 2 of us, one main and one for football!

Now that we can watch broadcast TV on our iPads, should I include those (even though we don't)?

I voted none, so thank you for adding that option to the poll.

My last TV was a 1997 Panasonic Gaio, a big hulking thing. When it died in 2012, I already had an iPad and didn't see any need to replace it. I have saved thousands of dollars on cable since then!

Last edited:
3: family room, kitchen, bedroom.

We have six in the house we are living in now. When we bought it, there must have been at least 10 TVs in the place (holes where wall-mounts were removed). The only bedrooms with TV's are master and one guest. Three others do not and never will while we are here. Kids' bedrooms have never had TVs.

The place we live in during the winter only has three.

They all get used to varying degrees, but none heavily.

I have two TVs - one is active and connected to DirecTV, the second is connected to a VHS and DVD player. I watch shows on the active TV and use the video tv to exercise to at home.

Hmmm...it looks like my two data points with 7 & 10 TV's are way out on the end of the statistical distribution that is forming.

While being well off folks as two retired oil company exec's, they appear to be not LBYM people. Of course, I see that in other ways they spend their Million$. Neither one is a member here, either.

4 flat screen TVs

46" living room

46" master bedroom

42" second bedroom (my room for a late football, baseball, tennis, hockey, basketball games, that's almost every night)

55" man cave in the basement for Sunday afternoon and evening Football with friends.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom