How Old Were Your Parents?

Strangely, this is very interesting.

I was the first-born - Mom was 30 and dad 33. Growing up I always had the sense my parents were a lot older than other people's parents. Seems there is a wide variety here. Suprised also, by how many of the parents mentioned have a large age difference.

Both of my parents were the same age-they were 25 when I was born. I have a sister that is 4 years older than me and I had a brother that was 3 years younger than I, born in Jan and a sister that was born in Nov of the same year and another brother born in Nov of the next year.

I was 25 when my son was born and 35 when my daughter was born.

Both were 39. I'm the youngest, with my three siblings 12-16 years older than me. All of them were out of the house and on their own by the time I got to kindergarten. My oldest brother is fond of saying "My little brother was an only child", and for all practical purposes, I was.

Sheryl said:
Growing up I always had the sense my parents were a lot older than other people's parents.

Same here...because they were! My mom would sure get miffed when someone asked if I was her grandson...

My husband's parents were both 36 when he was born (it took them 5 years to conceive--and another 5 to conceive his sister). In their suburban community of young mothers, my husband's mother lied about her age--even to her children. She took a full 10 years off! Many years later, my husband was applying for some sort of security clearance, and it was only then that he learned the truth--plus he was in some hot water over lying :eek: ::) :LOL:

Dad:40
Mom:31

I am the oldest with a 5 year younger brother. My parents always seemed more settled and mature than my friends' parents. We grew up in New York City and my Dad took me on Sunday afternoons to museums, Lincoln Center, and various childrens plays around the city, always with a stop for dessert. They were not rich, they were very dedicated parents and I was very fortunate.

REWahoo! said:
Same here...because they were! My mom would sure get miffed when someone asked if I was her grandson...

Happened to me several times with my baby (I was 40 when she was
born). I didn't mind. Just glad we had her.

JG

Mom was 20 (just shy of being 21 by 3 weeks) and dad was 22. They had my sister when mom was 25 and dad was 27.

DH and I waited to the ripe old age ;) of 33 (me) and 36 (DH) before we had our daughter who is now 6 months.

Mom likes to remind me that I was already a teenager when she was 33 and I like to remind HER that times have changed. :)

My dad was 50 and mom was 30.

I have a friend whose father was 70 when she was born and 75 when her younger sister was born.

Merlin said:
My dad was 50 and mom was 30.

I have a friend whose father was 70 when she was born and 75 when her younger sister was born.

Apparently no ER wannabees in this energetic and virile group!

Ha

Wow--I just did a search for oldest woman to give birth. She had her baby daughter in January 2005. See http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AmericanFamily/story?id=1516880
At age 66, Adriana Iliescu became pregnant through in vitro fertilization with donor eggs...She said she planned to work well into her 80s.

My mom and my dad were respectively 39 and 41 when they adopted me.

They adopted my older brother when they were 26 and 28.

Older brother got married when he was 17. Like REWahoo, I always felt like an only child.

HaHa said:
Apparently no ER wannabees in this energetic and virile group!
Maybe they were ER'd and attempting to answer the "Waddya DO all day??! question...

My dad turned 39 four days before I was born. My mom turned 29 two months before I was born.

Doing the math, my dad was born 1929, my mom in 1938. Guess where I learned all my frugal habits?

My parents were both young.

I sometimes wonder how they had the certainty to have me, I mean Dad was within a hare's breath of going to Vietnam and they had practically no money and no health insurance. But, they had been married for over 2 years, so that is just what folks were doing I guess.

Mom + Dad both 25 when they had my older brother.
Mom + Dad both 27 when they had me.

I had my first child at age 24 and second kid at age 26 (with DW who was 27 and 29, respectively).

It's strange watching these older ladies I work with having kids at the same time as me. They are in their early 40's (old enough to be my mother - one even has a son who is 1-2 years younger than me).

Mom 21 and Dad 24 when they married.
Mom 23 and Dad 27 when they had me.
Mom was 30 and Dad 34 when they had the youngest.
One in between.

I'm 33 and DH is 36. No kids yet. When I was younger I dreamed of having 3 kids by the time I was 30, like my mom did.

Edited to add: Oh crap, I'm only 32! Still 10 months until I'm 33.

Back
Top Bottom