do you weigh your high school weight?

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Am I supposed to? I saw this being discussed elsewhere by someone who said their doctor had said it. It was possibly/probably nonsense but made me wonder how common it was.

I currently weigh 10 lbs over high school weight but I am not sure that good/bad/indifferent fwiw. I was just curious.

3 months ago I weighed 24 lbs more than high school - no doc has ever mentioned to me one way or the other but I have always fallen somewhere in "normal" bmi - just higher or lower so it isn't hugely different I guess. I'd like to lose another 7 lbs but not sure how realistic it is with my motivation and activity levels. Trying but it is at the point of being more difficult now.

Last edited:
I hadn't even reached my full height in high school and was too thin, so I weigh a lot more now, over 30 pounds more probably, but I'm not overweight.

I put on a fair amount of weight during my senior year of high school, so I weigh less than 10 pounds more than I did then.

During a stint of regular bicycling and some walking for transportation in my early 30s, I was about 35 pounds less than I am now.

I hadn't even reached my full height in high school and was too thin, so I weigh a lot more now, over 30 pounds more probably, but I'm not overweight.

Wow I stopped growing taller at age 12 no joke. I'm not significantly short or tall really - pretty avg.

I have maintained the same weight +/- 5lbs all of my adult life, I am currently about 5lbs lighter than my senior year in high school.
I would prefer to be ~ 10lbs heavier but am far too aerobically active for this to be practicable.

I am back at my high school weight after slowing gaining just a bit in my 50's. It feels great, and shopping for clothes is fun, but it takes daily re-committing, weighing in, and keeping track of calories. So it's far from easy, but still, I like the results more than I miss the food.

For the most part I practice a 16/8 fasting pattern, which lets me enjoy one 'normal' meal a day, a pattern that both my spouse and our social life circle much appreciates.

I am very close to my HS weight within a few pounds either way. I jump around with in the 4 lbs. or so up and down depending on the time of year. I weigh in at 161lds.

Well I guess the biggest difference in my life comparing HS weight to now, is I didn't own a car in HS, so had to bike or walk everywhere.

I'd consider it nothing to walk 2 miles to a store, or when downtown and I missed the bus, or wanted to save the $ , I'd walk the 5->6 miles home.

I also biked a lot to get to places.

I'm about 5 lbs. under but I have to work at it. So many people I've known for decades just let a few pounds creep on every year. It adds up by the time you get to this age.

When I graduated I was 6'5", 150 pounds. Now I am 6'6", 175 pounds. I'm ok with being heavier than my high school weight.

Before or after I discovered beer and/or obtained a driver's license in H.S.?

Either way I think the answer is a resounding No unfortunately.

-gauss
(overweight but not obese)

edit: Looks like Sunset beat me to the post on half of this (#10 above) so +1 to that.

Last edited:
A resounding no for me. I was very skinny and high school and graduated at 17 and had a growth spurt after high school. I use when I got married as a benchmark, but even then I am 23% heavier today than when we got married.

And beer, including the one in my hand, might have a little something to do with it.

I don't know what I weighed then but pretty close at 49. I can still wear some clothes from HS. Waist is probably an inch or so bigger but I'm coming off the holidays. I'd say I'm healthier. I didn't exercise and smoked in HS. Haven't smoked in decades and exercise daily. Diet is a bit better too now. Mentally much healthier.... especially appreciate having career behind me and not looming over me. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up but now I'm 100% ok with that.

When I left HS, I weighed 150 and was 5'11" tall. Skinny. Could run like the wind....:D

When I got out of the military several years later (age 24), I still weighed about 150.

After years of long distance running until I was ~40+, I weighed in at 150 again.

After a few more decades, and two hip replacements, I am now 5' 10" and about 180.

All good. Getting back to HS weight is not in the cards anymore.

A lot more than senior year in high school, but not unhappy with that. (I couldn't have touched my current squat/deadlift numbers in HS.) Less happy with being about 15 pounds over my final rugby playing weight in college.

Next few months will be on the road (so far less snacking), and a lot of hiking and scuba diving, followed by trying to get our butts and other body parts ready for our first long biking expedition. By mid-year, I'll be closer to college weight.

I'd just be happy to be back under 200 lb & stay there for the rest of my life.

At this point that will probably require one of the O/M/Z drugs.

Wife can still wear clothes she had in the 8th grade.

Glad all of the kids take after her body type, not mine.

I remember the weight I entered on the form for my driver's license application at the age of 16. I consistently weight 5 to 7 pounds LESS that that in my 6 years of retirement. During my working years and child raising years, I was often a good 10 pounds heavier than that 16-year-old weight. (Not counting 2 pregnancy weights !!)

I'm 45lbs over my HS weight, when I was a competitive cyclist, and around the same weight I was when I graduated college.

I remember the weight I entered on the form for my driver's license application at the age of 16. I consistently weight 5 to 7 pounds LESS that that in my 6 years of retirement. During my working years and child raising years, I was often a good 10 pounds heavier than that 16-year-old weight. (Not counting 2 pregnancy weights !!)

Hmm I wonder what my current DL says. In AZ you keep it like 20 years or whatever until 65 so it is old.

Last edited:
At last weigh in, I weighed 190 lbs, or 10 lbs over high school weight. I'm probably over that now.

Illinois winters take their toll on me. I can get close to my high school weight of 180 in the summer, but winter weight sometimes gets to 200 lbs.

About 60 to 80 lb less than maximum high school weight. About the same as minimum high school weight.

At this age, sometimes underweight can be bad. I've let myself gain a few (<5) lbs. because if you're underweight it can lead to osteoporosis (apparently not enough load on the weight-bearing bones) and you have a lower chance of surviving some serious illnesses because you don't have a lot of stored body fat. I do know that I get hypothermic easily if I get cold and wet.

No, and I don't want to be. I was skinny and stayed that way until I worked at Megacorp. I , like many there, gained a lot.

After I retired I started losing and got within 10 pounds. DW said I looked terrible and I should gain 10 pounds. I'm
an over achiever and gained 15. Feeling good.

One of my managers was larger like me. After working together for 15 years we discovered we had met each other 20 years prior. We'd both gained 75 pounds and didn't recognize one another.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom