I just got offered a job...

The "time on the table" point is the best. Killer commute? No way. Roughly the same pay. Just what is the incentive to take this? I mean, you could've just stayed in your old job, right? I may have missed why you retired but it sounds like you left on your terms. I don't see any good reason not to turn this down without giving it another thought.

I think the ego point was spot on. It's nice to know you're still wanted. But you got your well-deserved ego boost without having to take the job--don't ruin it!

'Time on the table' led me to make that decision at age 59. I have never regretted it.

I did have second thoughts after month 3. Same story, I was contacted in regard to an open position. I was thankful for the opportunity and the consideration but said no. I second guessed myself for a day. Maybe two.

Then I forgot all about it and moved on to the things that we wanted to do. Looking back I cannot imagine why I second guessed my decision but I did. I think that it is a natural reaction.

I suspect that deep down you know what is the right answer for you and your spouse. Think carefully, this is not one decision that you want to end up regretting at some point in the futue.

CB - These two jumped out at me. Just saying.....

"another year of working... And at a new place where I'd have to start over with a whole new group of people... And it would definitely be a more difficult situation..."

"The commute will be bad, too..."

I hate to leave money on the table. What if something happens in the future when I'll really need money and because of my age and retirement status, can't get a job to earn it? How much will I regret the decision to not take this job then?
Anybody got a crystal ball?

You can never make enough money to prevent something from happening. You could make an extra million and a two million problem could happen. You could make a million and add it to your nest egg and if the market crashed, you could still be screwed. Face it, if you planned your retirement half way reasonable, you’ve already accounted for the most likely possible things that could happen. Beyond that, I take some comfort that if it all falls apart, I should still be better off than most of the population. If it collapses, we’re all in trouble and it won’t make any difference that you made a few more bucks.

I return you now to the concept that it’s better to leave money on the table than time.

Same thing happened to me last week.

I am 3 weeks out from my "retirement" date and then I was approached out of the blue to do a 12 month contract. I was very flattered to be asked and I put certain conditions which I thought would not be acceptable but they were.

I had booked a couple of trips in August and September and the new employer was happy to agree to me having that time off.

As I was looking so closely at retirement, I came to realise that all of my friends would still be working for at least one more year (another one has just started a new job after a couple of years "retired") and my wife is currently receiving regular treatment for cancer so she is not able to do any extensive travel for the next year, so I decided, why not do one more year.

I "retire" from my existing job on 18 July and start in the new job on 29 July!

DH and I ERed 6 years ago at 55/61.
DH has some health challenges and we could not travel as much as anticipated.
Anyhow, we have not been bored yet.We have enjoyed so much spending time together.

No money in the world could bring back a day, a week or a year spent at the job.

The offer is nice for the ego, but will you really be able to do the things that you planned with DH later in life?

I would have a very hard time putting up with any BS at the new job because in the back of my mind would be that little voice saying, "I don't have to be here and put up with this!"

When I was asked to name my price and conditions to extend my retirement date at my former employer, I felt momentarily guilty and like perhaps I should do it. Then I thought about missing out on time with DH and quickly realized what my priorities were. No regrets!

If you retired feeling financially secure, I can’t imagine why you’d give up time with DH to take on a bad commute and a difficult work situation. How will you feel if you take the job and then DH develops health issues?

he's 9 years older than I am........ and that's one reason I retired with him, so we could do things together.) .

Right here is your answer. Clock is ticking.

He says it's my decision, and is being very helpful as I work through the conversations with the prospective employer and with reasons to work again, pro and con. I think he'd honestly prefer me not to take the job, though. But he will probably be working part time on an occasional basis starting September, and we don't know how often, maybe four or five times a month, then a two-three month full time (substituting for a friend who needs that time off.)
The commute will be bad, too...
So there are reasons not to take it, and only a few reasons to take it - the money, I like challenges, and I'm young enough to still work...sigh...
It's my upbringing, too...I hate to leave money on the table. What if something happens in the future when I'll really need money and because of my age and retirement status, can't get a job to earn it? How much will I regret the decision to not take this job then?
Anybody got a crystal ball?
Absolute age is something. For example, 45 (him) and 37 (you). I don't know your ages, but wanted to point this out.

Well @CindyBlue, you see where all the answers are pointing.......

CindyBlue,

You may see the advantages and want OMY, but you cannot ever have OML(ifetime)...Ever. Spend it wisely.

-BB

FWIW, DW kept working for a few years when I RE'd. We didn't need the money but I told her that I was fine with it.

I really wasn't. I resented the time she was 'wasting' when we could've been doing stuff together.

Don't get me wrong, it didn't strain our marriage by any means --just one of those things you roll with--but I do wish that we had those few years extra when she was in an office, working away, making money we didn't need when there was so much we could've been doing.

Now with a live-with-mom recently disabled brother and mom now at 90 years old, our travel is somewhat limited and those two months on the Almafi Coast that we had planned back then isn't in the cards right now --if ever (ok, we went out and bought 2 luxury cars instead) but we now both wish we had taken better advantage of the time.

Last edited:
Roughly 2 weeks after I ER'd a headhunter called me with an opportunity that ordinarily I would have been excited about. My initial reaction was that same excitement, but then I remembered why I ER'd in the first place. Plus, I realized I wouldn't just be able to take the salary, they likely would expect me to w*rk for it :( That made the decision beyond-easy for me. If you chose to retire, and are financially secure, this job offer really should not affect that original decision. There's always more money available if one continues to w*rk than retire. At some point, recognize you earned this and enjoy the good life.

We are financially secure, but it's not a lot, not like a lot of people here seem to have. We each have a small pension and will have SS (for me, both when I get old enough - I'm living on my savings until then!) and between those it should be enough to pay bills. If things change drastically in expenses or the market, though, we'll have to really rein it in. We sure didn't expect both the well and septic to go in the same year, and in the year we retired (sigh...)

Well @CindyBlue, you see where all the answers are pointing.......
Yep, I do...and I am SO grateful for all the thoughts that everyone has take the time and care to wrote here for me to consider. I agree with everything that everyone has said - the difference in our ages, the (probably) not needing the extra money, the horrible commute, the difficult job and the "ego boost" fallacy.
And especially the time...I can't ever get the time back. And there isn't as much time on this end as there was on the back end...I'm guessing that I won't live to be 106 (smile!)
I have an appointment to meet with them on Monday, and will press for part time and on my terms. If I can't get it that way, since I don't need (and probably, to be absolutely bluntly honest with myself, don't want) the job, and will respectfully decline.
You folks are SO wonderful! Thank you for giving me so much to think about!!

The beauty of retirement is you can choose what you want to spend your time on. Given that your DH is also retired and is older, it emphasizes the time factor.
However, I understand the money issue and having the means to pay for those extra recent house expenses. You have to decide which is more important, the time with DH vs the extra financial peace of mind.
How does the new potential employer feel about you only working for 1 year? Is that their idea or are they aware of the limited timeframe you want to work?

Yep, I do...and I am SO grateful for all the thoughts that everyone has take the time and care to wrote here for me to consider. I agree with everything that everyone has said - the difference in our ages, the (probably) not needing the extra money, the horrible commute, the difficult job and the "ego boost" fallacy.
And especially the time...I can't ever get the time back. And there isn't as much time on this end as there was on the back end...I'm guessing that I won't live to be 106 (smile!)
I have an appointment to meet with them on Monday, and will press for part time and on my terms. If I can't get it that way, since I don't need (and probably, to be absolutely bluntly honest with myself, don't want) the job, and will respectfully decline.
You folks are SO wonderful! Thank you for giving me so much to think about!!

And yet, you're going to waste (IMO) more time on Monday to negotiate working less at a job you really don't want or need? :confused: :facepalm:

I still do a little editorial work from home for a magazine, amounting to about one day a month. This week another editor approached me about an editing gig on a section about scenic drives. Looks like a day's work, maybe two. It sounded like a fun project, so I said yes ... but in reality, the ego boost was what sucked me in as much as the extra cash. "I've still got that old magic ... they really really like me."

The strokes are nice, but they aren't nice enough to adapt your whole life around them. People tend to forget about the drudge work, the difficult personalities, THE COMMUTE.

OTH, the interview is a chance to enjoy a few more strokes without commitment. So, why not?

And yet, you're going to waste (IMO) more time on Monday to negotiate working less at a job you really don't want or need? :confused: :facepalm:
Ah well, it's her life. I sometimes get frustrated when what I think is great advice is not taken, but then I realize it has zero effect on me, and I probably either misread the premise of the issue or there were factors not disclosed.

I never got an offer after retiring, but I did get some feelers as I was winding down my last job. My thought was always that if they paid me what it would take to be worth it to me, they would be expecting way more from me than I was willing to work.

Ah well, it's her life. I sometimes get frustrated when what I think is great advice is not taken, but then I realize it has zero effect on me, and I probably either misread the premise of the issue or there were factors not disclosed.

But we DO need as many people paying into (our) SS as long as possible, so that's a plus.

I never got an offer after retiring, but I did get some feelers as I was winding down my last job. My thought was always that if they paid me what it would take to be worth it to me, they would be expecting way more from me than I was willing to work.

It may be that your advice will yet be taken. (There may be a curiosity/ entertainment factor in going for an interview.)

Oh, yes.

Beware of the full job responsibilites in half the time for half the salary... + commute as extra bonus.

This happens more often than you think it would. Get your interview, feel good then probably move on back to retirement.:greetings10:

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

Michael Corleone , The Godfather part III

Back
Top Bottom