I just got offered a job...

You are right...

I don't know where you live, but where I lived a well and a septic was a very large expense! I totally understand the take it while it is there sentiment.

Ha

It was, and continues to be until it’s finished (the well, currently) a very large expense. The only things that haven’t gone yet are the pumps for each...but the way my luck is going, who knows?😃
A gal in the area just lost her well...that would simply be a disaster!
Thank you for the empathy! :)

Congrats!!! That is a great decision and I am fairly certain that your grief will be very, VERY short lived! :dance:

I have to learn to enjoy it :)
And I’m sure I will, once I’ve actually lived through the next year or so, so I know for sure by experience we can make it on the income that will be available. All the figuring on paper in the world doesn’t equal the actual experience! :)

It was, and continues to be until it’s finished (the well, currently) a very large expense. The only things that haven’t gone yet are the pumps for each...but the way my luck is going, who knows?😃
A gal in the area just lost her well...that would simply be a disaster!
Thank you for the empathy! :)

We have friends that live outside of San Antonio, TX and spent a whole messload of money on dealing with a dry well. A few years ago there was a pretty bad drought and many wells went dry. There is a nice aquifer, but they weren't allowed to tap that one...they had to go past it. I don't recall the depth of the new well, but I know they spent about $20,000 digging a new one.

We too have a well but thankfully we are only about 35 feet to water and it's at a dug depth of almost 100 feet, *hopefully* we won't have to worry about it drying up.

We have friends that live outside of San Antonio, TX and spent a whole messload of money on dealing with a dry well. A few years ago there was a pretty bad drought and many wells went dry. There is a nice aquifer, but they weren't allowed to tap that one...they had to go past it. I don't recall the depth of the new well, but I know they spent about $20,000 digging a new one.

They are probably our neighbors - and they got by cheap if they only spent $20K. We know folks who had to drill a new well at a cost of $30+K, and that was after having water trucked in for months while they waited for a driller to get to them on his list.

Oh, and the depth to that aquifer was 500 feet - until the drought, when the water table dropped to under 600'.

We were fortunate that our well is 800' deep so when the water level dropped all we had to do was lower our pump.

They are probably our neighbors - and they got by cheap if they only spent $20K. We know folks who had to drill a new well at a cost of $30+K, and that was after having water trucked in for months while they waited for a driller to get to them on his list.

Oh, and the depth to that aquifer was 500 feet - until the drought, when the water table dropped to under 600'.

We were fortunate that our well is 800' deep so when the water level dropped all we had to do was lower our pump.

Yep, they lived out in the Bear Spring Ranch subdivision in Mico. They have since moved from there to Windcrest (San Antonio) and are on city water. We *almost* bought in that same neighborhood but didn't...thank goodness. I miss some things about San Antonio, but not seeing Steve Browne talk about the aquifer level and how low it was isn't one of them.

OP, I probably have had a dozen or more job offers. But, how would I know? I am retired. I don't answer phone numbers I do not recognize. :)

Here is a different take; I don't look at retirement to begin living my life; that should have already been happening. To think it is about trying to squeeze in a couple of years before you get too sick and die is quite morbid.

Take the job if you want the challenge, want something to do and because you can. Being retirement is about options; this one happens to pay so you can take it on your terms (not that anyone seemed interested in that).

Most people really don't enjoy retirement as much as they could because of the lack mentality; sitting around doing nothing is not productive or worthwhile at any age. Being old doesn't make it better.

I retired from one job and then took another because it was completely differently than what I was doing and they moved me to a part of the country we wanted to be. It would have been stupid to say no since it was on my terms and while it was a win-win for all, it would have been a missed opportunity if I looked at the situation with a closed mind. Consider all options and sometimes that includes work. If meeting new people is an obstacle, what are you going to do all day but sit around the house?

We ALWAYS leave money on the table when we choose to retire.
That's my OMY syndrome problem. In addition to saving $65k/year, my investments are growing an average of $200K per year. Really tough to quit when the snowball just started rolling. Except I'm 53. I was bit shocked yesterday, seeing my name and age on a blood vial at what will likely be my last company physical. 53...years...old!!!!

So, what were the first few months of the OP's retirement like? Ready for more? Or bored, and looking for something to do?

CindyBlue,

The alternative is, of course, a home-based business that you could work either together with your husband, or not.

The 21st century solution is selecting a business where, pretty much, all you need is a Smartphone and a willingness to learn.

As I say, if your Smartphone is a monthly bill and not developed as an asset, you’re doing something wrong.

The Smartphone is the greatest ASSET everyone who has one owns!

When utilized properly, the income generated should EXCEED what any job can offer you. In addition, the tax benefits makes it so that you can keep more of your money than you can do as an employee.

QUESTION: Say your employer tells you that you will be paid $20/hour. That means in 10 hours you may NET $100 depending on where you live and the cumulative taxes and other deductions taken out of your check. When you add travel time and associated expenses, it could be even less. If you don’t even make $20/hour gross, what would the net look like?

Is being away from home and your husband and the drive to earn your $net worth it?

There’s so many great Smartphone-based businesses out there, you’d just find one that fits your personality. I can assist you as needed.

Think about where you’ll receive the most lifestyle value.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Does it *have* to be full time? Can you set your own deal and be a maverick - like two days a week, or four days from 8 till noon?

No one on their deathbed has ever said, "I should have spent more time in the office".

I am pretty much in agreement with what most of the posters are saying....I retired 8 years ago at age 58, and it has always been tempting to look at job postings and wonder about should I go back into the labor force....but then reality hits me -- no bs, no commute, no hassles, no stress etc. You've already developed a good plan and seem to have the wherewithal to endure minor hardships like a sump pump -- don't mess with it, and continue to execute your plan...your life will be simpler, happier, and you will not regret it....

May I add just one little thing? Does this new role give you the chance to do something you always wanted to do, but never had the chance?

I will use myself as an example. In April Four months after I retired, a headhunter came knocking, but they were very non-specific about the job, what it entailed, etc. I brushed them off, 2-3 times. By August, the chairman of their client company was getting a bit incensed that I wasn’t showing any interest, and called me directly, saying he wanted to meet. I knew him personally and had met with him a few times previously when I was still on the job. So, he flew out to California, from Florida, to meet with me. He explained that he was looking for a new CEO for his company, and that my role would be to increase the efficiency and profit of the company (been there, done that, damn good at it), and take the company public, within 3 years. For me this was the eye opener...something I’d always wanted to do, but never had the chance. I had been the CEO of a multi billion subsidiary of a global company before, quadrupled sales, and more than quadrupled the margin %. But, I’d never taken a company public. I wanted to do it...badly. And I would have done it...but...the chairman wanted me to start immediately...but due to a non-compete I had with my former company when I retired (which they paid dearly for), I could not. The chairman offered to pay the monetary price of that non compete for me if they found out (they would have) and that I could start “behind the scenes” as a consultant. But, my integrity wouldn’t let me do it. I told him I’d be happy to start on January 1st, four months later. Doing this job, for 3 years, likely would have tripled or quadrupled my stash (doing an IPO is usually very rewarding), and it would have been my crowning achievement career wise. But, I’d have to sacrifice something of great worth to me...something I was unwilling to sacrifice. I should add that I was more than a bit leery of joining a company that would ask me to trespass my integrity.

Moral of the story...do it if it gives you an experience you always dreamed of having in your career, that somehow passed you by...but, if doing so would compromise your integrity, or would not be supported by your family, those you love the most, don’t do it.

Best of luck in your decision.

Last edited:
I have been approached with three job offers in the three years since I retired ranging from $200k to $1.2 million a year. The big one was three times my last year's pay. But it would have been going right back into the world I left 3 years ago, a world I've never missed a single time. I could double, probably triple my net worth if I had taken it for five more years, but why? We've got more than enough.

...at the same or more money than I was making when I retired June 15. Arrrgggghhhh! Going through the OMY problem. My hubby retired when I did...do I work another year and leave him at home alone? (I worry about that - he's 9 years older than I am, and the type that needs something to do and that's one reason I retired with him, so we could do things together.) Two major household expenses came up this year (the well and the septic...ahhh, county life!) and while we can afford to pay for them (gulp!) another year of working would certainly help me feel better.
I never thought anyone would be asking me, especially at my age. I've never been "headhunted." It's very flattering :) But another year of working... And at a new place where I'd have to start over with a whole new group of people... And it would definitely be a more difficult situation...
I have about two weeks to decide, I think...
Sigh...

I am in the same situation, although still working. Struggling on how early to retire and having to weigh less income or less time with hubby. You only live once and time is short. Spend it with hubby. I am going as soon as I possibly can and still have enough to live on. I can always change plans later.

Take the job if you want the challenge, want something to do and because you can. Being retirement is about options; this one happens to pay so you can take it on your terms (not that anyone seemed interested in that).

CindyBlue,

Is being away from home and your husband and the drive to earn your $net worth it?

Does it *have* to be full time? Can you set your own deal and be a maverick - like two days a week, or four days from 8 till noon?

May I add just one little thing? Does this new role give you the chance to do something you always wanted to do, but never had the chance?

<snip>

Moral of the story...do it if it gives you an experience you always dreamed of having in your career, that somehow passed you by...but, if doing so would compromise your integrity, or would not be supported by your family, those you love the most, don’t do it.

Best of luck in your decision.

OP has already said in post #71 that she's declined the job offer. The people who haven't bothered to read through the whole thread probably won't read this either. :facepalm:

Maybe the OP could be updated to reflect that the decision to not take the job has been made?

I tried to update my original post, but it won't let me...
I am really enjoying reading the additional comments, though. Lots of reasons to take the (too late!) and lots of reasons not to. Other peoples' experiences make me feel "not alone" (smile!) I really appreciate them!
The job would certainly not be paying anything near what so many people here are saying that they would have made for their OMY situation but it would be more that I'd made in my last year of working.
And yesterday, one car just quit (it's an old VW van that I love and want to keep running, but this is only about four months after it had been in for a new muffler and service. I'll have to have it towed in next week) and the washing machine died (only two years old.) Maybe I should have taken the job (wry smile!)

I tried to update my original post, but it won't let me...
I am really enjoying reading the additional comments, though. Lots of reasons to take the (too late!) and lots of reasons not to. Other peoples' experiences make me feel "not alone" (smile!) I really appreciate them!
The job would certainly not be paying anything near what so many people here are saying that they would have made for their OMY situation but it would be more that I'd made in my last year of working.
And yesterday, one car just quit (it's an old VW van that I love and want to keep running, but this is only about four months after it had been in for a new muffler and service. I'll have to have it towed in next week) and the washing machine died (only two years old.) Maybe I should have taken the job (wry smile!)

There's your post-retirement hobby -- learn to DiY the van.

I have only read the first page but I am going to respond while my thoughts are fresh. I am about to turn 50 and have been thinking about retirement time quite a bit, although I don't want to leave as soon as I can, but probably around 62 or so and maybe even longer.

My thoughts are... one more year of work isn't that bad and you are in the drivers seat. It could very well be that you could negotiate a really sweet deal that is a win - win for all. Could you maybe work only part-time, like 3 full days a week? That almost cuts your commutes in half and gives you freedom and flexibility to enjoy retirement with your husband. I love the idea of a part time gig, where I only need to do the stuff I like to do and enjoy doing. If it is a hastle, and not enjoyable then I would not work. It is very likely that you are a very good opportunity for the company that is hiring you. They do not have a long term commitment, maybe you are filling a temporary void for them, or helping them grow a new division or take on new work without having to worry about keeping long term employees busy, etc. I think you are in a very sweet position and if it doesn't work for you, stay retired. I hope you get both!

I'm late to this thread and see that the issue has already been resolved, but when you are on a trip and relaxing (and not checking your phone to see if some urgent email has come in), or when you are getting ready to celebrate the holidays (and not wondering if that urgent project is going to require you to take a few calls over the holiday weekend), please remember to smile and enjoy your decision!

My parents had a number of years after they retired when they were able to travel and explore lots of places they never had seen before. My Dad was visibly more relaxed without his one hour each way commute (assuming best travel circumstances). They also had a number of years when they were healthy and providing part time childcare for my nieces. They loved taking their grandkids to places around the city and creating memories those kids hold dear decades later. Eventually they started to have health issues and they're now passed, but I am so glad they had those years together to do so many things they enjoyed. I'm sure the OP will also treasure this time with her husband.

Here's another thing that might make you feel better about turning down the job....since this is the middle of the year, any additional income will be taxed at your highest bracket. If you or your hubby was offered a monetary incentive to retire, taxes on anything else you earn this year may be obscene. On top of that, if your new job will be contract work, you'll have to pay about 15% of your income to social security and medicare. So you have to look at how much money you'd really get to keep if you accepted a job this year.
That said, I don't know your situation or personalities but I retired at 51 and have been retired 14 years. I love it! It was a little scary at first since we also had some unexpected expenses right off the bat. The biggest surprise of all was medical expenses. We were fortunate to have health insurance and since we've always been healthy, we didn't plan for the various minor things that happened to us that required deductibles/copays for several years. Ugh! Then after the medical stuff was under control, our dentist retired and the new dentist wanted to cap all my back teeth!!

Don't, just don't

I am 65 and currently retired for five years. Had someone contact me the other day about a management position at a large firm. It was very nice to be thought of but why go back if you do not absolutely need the money. At least my wife and I are the same age; with a husband that is nine years older than you how many more "good" years do you have together to explore the world? As other have said, flattery can be an insidious thing to focus on. My advice? Stay out and enjoy your years together.

These were my thoughts too...

I have only read the first page but I am going to respond while my thoughts are fresh. I am about to turn 50 and have been thinking about retirement time quite a bit, although I don't want to leave as soon as I can, but probably around 62 or so and maybe even longer.

My thoughts are... one more year of work isn't that bad and you are in the drivers seat. It could very well be that you could negotiate a really sweet deal that is a win - win for all. Could you maybe work only part-time, like 3 full days a week? That almost cuts your commutes in half and gives you freedom and flexibility to enjoy retirement with your husband. I love the idea of a part time gig, where I only need to do the stuff I like to do and enjoy doing. If it is a hastle, and not enjoyable then I would not work. It is very likely that you are a very good opportunity for the company that is hiring you. They do not have a long term commitment, maybe you are filling a temporary void for them, or helping them grow a new division or take on new work without having to worry about keeping long term employees busy, etc. I think you are in a very sweet position and if it doesn't work for you, stay retired. I hope you get both!

If I could have gotten part time I'd have probably decided to do it, for the reasons you said so well. But unfortunately, that wasn't an option at the time. The job is still open and apparently still mine if I want it...maybe they will get desperate enough to offer part time (grin!)

Back
Top Bottom