I just got offered a job...

I agree with you...

Here's another thing that might make you feel better about turning down the job....since this is the middle of the year, any additional income will be taxed at your highest bracket. If you or your hubby was offered a monetary incentive to retire, taxes on anything else you earn this year may be obscene. On top of that, if your new job will be contract work, you'll have to pay about 15% of your income to social security and medicare. So you have to look at how much money you'd really get to keep if you accepted a job this year.
That said, I don't know your situation or personalities but I retired at 51 and have been retired 14 years. I love it! It was a little scary at first since we also had some unexpected expenses right off the bat. The biggest surprise of all was medical expenses. We were fortunate to have health insurance and since we've always been healthy, we didn't plan for the various minor things that happened to us that required deductibles/copays for several years. Ugh! Then after the medical stuff was under control, our dentist retired and the new dentist wanted to cap all my back teeth!!

I think medical will be our biggest expense. We are both, as my mom used to say, "sickeningly healthy" so never have had much in the way of medical expenses. But we are getting older - ok, getting old! - so that will probably change. My teeth are another matter - I have terrible teeth (thanks, mom and dad , it's inherited on both sides the family) and my dental bills have always been astronomical. I see no reason they won't continue to be...sigh...

Here is a different take; I don't look at retirement to begin living my life; that should have already been happening. To think it is about trying to squeeze in a couple of years before you get too sick and die is quite morbid.

Take the job if you want the challenge, want something to do and because you can. Being retirement is about options; this one happens to pay so you can take it on your terms (not that anyone seemed interested in that).

Most people really don't enjoy retirement as much as they could because of the lack mentality; sitting around doing nothing is not productive or worthwhile at any age. Being old doesn't make it better.

I retired from one job and then took another because it was completely differently than what I was doing and they moved me to a part of the country we wanted to be. It would have been stupid to say no since it was on my terms and while it was a win-win for all, it would have been a missed opportunity if I looked at the situation with a closed mind. Consider all options and sometimes that includes work. If meeting new people is an obstacle, what are you going to do all day but sit around the house?

Wow, there is so much truth in what you say, especially "...sitting around doing nothing is not productive or worthwhile at any age. Being old doesn't make it better."
I don't want to sit around and do nothing, and neither does my hubby - we've been going at 100 MPH all our lives, and right now it's like hitting a brick wall - full stop. We loved our jobs, too. I especially worry about him, not as much about me - I've got hobbies and lots of interests that could conceivably soak up my time and keep me busy, even if I didn't work. But... the other day we were reading in the evening on the back deck with a glass of wine in hand, and he looked up at me and said "I think I could get used to this retirement business." Definitely progress :)

...at the same or more money than I was making when I retired June 15.
Sigh...

I didn't hear any hint of a reason in there that would make me say yes.
Is there something about the job that would fill a void and make you happier? Is there some passion project that went unfinished?

Otherwise, no.

Best thing I ever did (after we RE'd) was commit to her that i'd never again take a job/project for money...

Back
Top Bottom