I Quit.

I retired at 60 three years ago. I love it. I do still do some side gigs, maybe a day or two a week, for fun. I don't need more money either, but they add to my life. You might consider that, I also do a lot of volunteer work. Congrats!

I gave my notice today. 60 days. I've had a lot of back-and-forth changes of mind about pulling the plug over the past few years, but last Friday, it became very clear to me that it was time to go.

I have 7 or 8 pages of reasons why, and I won't burden you with all of them. Here are some of the main ones:

• I have more than enough money to retire completely.
  • I told myself a long time ago that I would continue to work as long as I still enjoyed it. I'm not enjoying it.
  • I am being drawn spiritually or emotionally in one direction, and work is pulling me in another, almost the opposite. Work is an impediment to where my heart wants to go.
  • Intellectually, socially, physically, and spiritually, it's the right decision.
  • The universe has conspired in several different ways to give me a clear message: It is time to go. People say that you'll know when it's time, and I feel that now; I know it's time.
  • I'm not happy with the direction my company is moving in. Morale is sinking, people are leaving, and work load is increasing.
  • Work lately has felt like a real drain, no fun at all. Tiring.
  • My best friend, a dog, died last week. Her death, along with the changes that followed, was a catalyst for this decision. In ways I can't explain here, it would feel like a betrayal of her if I did not stop working.
  • I'm coming up on 58. I don't know how long I will live. Time > $.
  • There are a lot of things I'd like to do that continuing to work makes more difficult.

I gave my boss an official resignation letter and told most of my main colleagues. I'm a little sad, because I like many of the people I work with, and I'm a little anxious about cutting free of work completely. But mostly I feel right about the decision and relieved that I've announced it. My boss asked me if there was anything he could do to get me to stay, and I basically said no. The things I'm unhappy about aren't within his control, and I didn't want to complain about the workplace anyhow; I don't want to end on a sour note.

So that's it. After years of compiling pro/con lists and changing my mind a dozen times, I've finally pulled the cord. My time at work is coming to an end.

Take it from someone 10 months in, it doesn’t take long to adjust.

Soon, it will be just a job. Something you had to do to make money to live and retire. Its easy for some to get caught up in it. And keep looking back.
Folks that leave the work force either wake up feeling unimportant, like they are not making a difference in the world. Small and humble....
Or like me. Wake up and every day is a Saturday.
Most end up in one of the two camps.
But some just cant see it. lol lol

Hope you make it into the Saturday camp. :D

Sorry about your fur friend. I lost my second of 2 Shelties in 2017. Still mourn him and them every day a bit.

Thanks, Elliot. I've been gratified by how many people "get" it. I've stopped expecting everyone to, though. Some haven't had the experience of getting really close to an animal, so I occasionally get the "it's just a dog" type attitude. I was shopping for t-shirts this morning and laughed at one that said, "Tell me it's 'just a dog' and I'll tell you you're 'just an idiot,'" but it was a little too hostile/provocative for me to buy.

Congratulations on your decision! At this point you have about 52 days left. I'm still a working drone but eyeing ER Feb 2021 so a tad bit jealous lol. ;)

Thank you! I cheated a little when I said I gave 60 day notice. Technically, it was 66 or thereabouts. June 28th will be my last day. At this point, it's 58 days. Tick tock.

Good luck on your own countdown. I imagine Feb. 2021 feels like a long ways off. Hopefully the work is not too much drudgery for you.

So sorry about your pup. My dog is my best friend, too, and it will be difficult when he goes. And I agree that an immediate replacement is not the thing to do.

Thank you. Part of what I'd like to experiment with when I retire is volunteering at animal shelters. I'm going to investigate whether I'd be a good foster parent and whether I'd want to do that. I'm sure I'll end up adopting again.

I've seen some posts about Memphis and also cities in eastern Tennessee. I lived in Memphis from 2006 - 2011. I moved to it hoping that it could be an up and coming future Atlanta or Charlotte, but nope...that city has too much baggage on many issues, and the opposing views can't seem to come together. The day I left was a great day for me.

Eastern Tennessee is absolutely gorgeous. And you'll be close to Atlanta for a large city fix, and also close to Asheville, NC for an occasional change of scenery.

Enjoy your new direction and path!

Thank you. :)

Well thought out and rationalized. I applaud you for getting to that point. Took me two years longer along with a surgery due to old sports injuries to convince me to do the same.

I did a lot of pro/con lists and went back and forth about my decisions many times, over the past few years. It was nice how everything suddenly slid into place and it became crystal clear that it was time to go.

It's exciting, but it's also a little anxiety-provoking at times. I guess that's natural when you're making big changes like this.

I retired at 60 three years ago. I love it. I do still do some side gigs, maybe a day or two a week, for fun. I don't need more money either, but they add to my life. You might consider that, I also do a lot of volunteer work. Congrats!

Yes, I may think about something like that in a couple of years. My plan right now is to spend at least a year or two completely retired and see how that feels. Then, if I can't find enough to do with myself, I may poke around looking for work. I've always (well almost always) enjoyed some form of productive work. I'm not sure whether that will be paid work, volunteer work, inner work, garden work, or what...

Take it from someone 10 months in, it doesn’t take long to adjust.

Sounds good. I hope to make a smooth transition. I've certainly spent a lot of time reading, thinking, and preparing for it, so I think I'm in pretty good shape. There are still plenty of unknowns, but that's okay. I like the image of having a flashlight shining a beam a few feet ahead of you, and that much of your path being illuminated -- just enough to know where to step next -- but the rest remains a mystery. A tapestry unfolding (I'm mixing my metaphors, sorry.)

I hope to recapture some of that sense of mystery, freedom, and adventure that I used to feel in my younger days.

Thanks, everybody. :)

Last edited:
h yeah

Congratulations! I retired at 58 and my only regret is not doing it sooner. I really thought I'd miss something about work but I miss nothing. Freedom to choose how to live my day means everything.

Congratulations.

Let's hear from you in the next phase....where you were called.....

Congrats... I echo your thoughts, but for me above everything else... it was the dog.

Wife and kids are a bonus... but they know where they stand ;)

Congratulations! I retired at 58 and my only regret is not doing it sooner. I really thought I'd miss something about work but I miss nothing. Freedom to choose how to live my day means everything.

Ah, well said.

Congratulations.

Let's hear from you in the next phase....where you were called.....

That might get a little too woo-woo for this forum, but I'll try. :)

Congrats... I echo your thoughts, but for me above everything else... it was the dog.

Wife and kids are a bonus... but they know where they stand ;)

lol.

Speaking of that, I read this yesterday. It's by a veterinarian, Karen Stange, in The Spiritual Nature of Animals:

"Although most scientists deny there is any evidence that animals feel love, there is a test to determine who loves you more -- your dog or your spouse. Lock each one in the trunk of a car for an hour and find out which one is happy to see you when you let them out."

Wow, I feel like your post could have been written by me, if I were more literate. :) I'm having all the same feelings. It's funny but the dog resonates most with me. I started thinking of FIRE ten or more years ago, and have delayed until now. At the garage door, I said, "Goodbye Boy" to my dog for ten years, thinking one day I wouldn't have to leave him. He's gone now and his successor is two years old. It's time for me too. Something happened - long boring story - that made me feel certain it's the right time to go. I've said 12/31/19 at the latest. Sooner if I can clean out my office and sell my stock.

Oh, sad. I'd forgotten that the dog who's now gone is my avatar.

Congrats, man. Your bullet points look almost like mine. You won't regret your decision other than that you'll probablylook back and say that '60 days' notice should have been more like 2 weeks. [emoji106]

Ah, well said.

That might get a little too woo-woo for this forum, but I'll try. :)

lol.

Speaking of that, I read this yesterday. It's by a veterinarian, Karen Stange, in The Spiritual Nature of Animals:

"Although most scientists deny there is any evidence that animals feel love, there is a test to determine who loves you more -- your dog or your spouse. Lock each one in the trunk of a car for an hour and find out which one is happy to see you when you let them out."

[emoji23]

When we were both working, we didn’t think twice about leaving our two fur kids home alone all day. Four years into retirement, they go with me, DH works from home or they are with another work from home relative; when we travel together and can’t bring them along.

Thanks, ivinsfan. My top candidate is east TN. It has the mountains/hiking, southern friendliness, and about the right-sized cities (Chattanooga, Knoxville) I'm looking for, and it's not too far from family. I started a thread on east TN about a year ago, and it got plenty of really good responses. I have yet to make a trip out there and do first-hand scouting, but I plan to do that soon.

There may be other states in the mix, too. Colorado, maybe. I know this is a great place to ask questions, so I'll be sure to do that. Cheers.

Congrats on pulling the plug. I am also thinking about giving notice in the next couple of weeks for reasons that are eerily similar to yours.

More importantly, I live in East TN, about 15 minutes north of Knoxville and absolutely love it. I have lived in So Cal and CO, but I have found my home in TN. Lots of outdoor activities, great quality of life, low cost of living, low taxes, friendly people, good health care and even a bit of culture when I venture to Knoxville. I agree about Memphis....it is horrible. I travel to Memphis for 3 days per month for business and I would rather have a pencil jabbed in my ear.

Congrats on pulling the plug. I am also thinking about giving notice in the next couple of weeks for reasons that are eerily similar to yours.

More importantly, I live in East TN, about 15 minutes north of Knoxville and absolutely love it. I have lived in So Cal and CO, but I have found my home in TN. Lots of outdoor activities, great quality of life, low cost of living, low taxes, friendly people, good health care and even a bit of culture when I venture to Knoxville.

That sounds great. Thanks for the input.

I love the way you broke down your reasoning. I share some of the same reasons.
Congratulations! Enjoy!

You won't regret your decision other than that you'll probably look back and say that '60 days' notice should have been more like 2 weeks. [emoji106]

I agree. I gave 4 months notice and was very sorry that I did so.

Update. Last day was today. Whew. I'm tired. Emotionally exhausted. Well-fed. Sad. Grateful for the people I worked with.

I asked them not to throw a retirement party, which would normally happen. I'm introverted (I know most of you are, too), and so a big gathering of people is uncomfortable for me -- especially when I'm the center of attention. I can do that in a speaking situation, like a lecture, but if it's something like this, where it's all about me ... no thanks. Instead, me and 5 of the people I work closest with went out for lunch. That was nice. Lots of good conversation, a gift card, and a couple of greeting cards.

I'm emotionally worn out because I've been having a lot of really personal conversations with people I've been working with. I did a lot of that one-on-one in the past couple of days, and it's been draining for an introvert like me.

Well, it's over. Walking out the door that last time was weird, but not as weird as I expected. I've been anticipating this day for years.

Last edited:
Update. Last day was today. Whew. I'm tired. Emotionally exhausted. Well fed. Sad. Grateful for the people I worked with. So many good people.

I asked them not to throw a retirement party, which would normally happen. I'm introverted (I know most of you are, too), and so a big gathering of people is uncomfortable for me -- especially when I'm the center of attention. I can do that in a speaking situation, like a lecture, but if it's something like this, where it's all about me ... no thanks. Instead, me and 5 of the people I work closest with went out for lunch. That was nice, although I broke my low-carb diet.

I'm emotionally worn out because I've been having a lot of really personal conversations with people I've been working with, saying my goodbyes and talking about my retirement plans.

Well, it's over. Walking out the door that last time was weird, but not as weird as I expected. I've been anticipating this day for years.

It's still weird, though. The end.

(or is it?)

I rejected a retirement luncheon, too, Eddie. I had stopped attending last-day luncheons years earlier except for a man who left after a 37-year career. They gave me, in cash, the money they were going to spend on a luncheon, at least whatever they had raised for one (about $160). Instead, my best friend/coworker took me out to lunch at our favorite diner.

I rejected a retirement luncheon, too, Eddie. I had stopped attending last-day luncheons years earlier except for a man who left after a 37-year career. They gave me, in cash, the money they were going to spend on a luncheon, at least whatever they had raised for one (about $160). Instead, my best friend/coworker took me out to lunch at our favorite diner.

Yeah, that sounds great. :)

Back
Top Bottom