Intelligence is irrelevant to a happy old age

TromboneAl said:
"More Americans watch NBC news than any other news organization in the world."

What they mean is

"More Americans watch NBC news programs than watch news programs produced by any other news organization."

Their slogan says that more people watch NBC news than watch other news organizations.  People don't generally watch news organizations (that is, they don't sit outside the newsroom building with binoculars), so although their slogan is probably correct (and it's easier to say), it's not what they mean to say.

Or maybe their poorly written slogan means that there are more Americans watching NBC News than other news organizations watching NBC news.  It's just not a logically constructed sentence.  Even if you think the sentence is OK, it's awkward enough that it shouldn't be used as the main tag line for a supposedly intellectual organization.

Now, I don't want to come off as an anal retentive nitpicker here (talk about bad word choice!).   My point was that I wish I didn't notice things like that. 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

TromboneAl said:
"More Americans watch NBC news than any other news organization in the world."

What they mean is

"More Americans watch NBC news programs than watch news programs produced by any other news organization."

TB, I agree with you. These sorts of things annoy me a bit also. How about, "More Americans watch NBC News than any other news programs."

Otherwise, I think what you gain in precision, you lose to clumsiness.

BTW, were you an editor or something similar?

Ha

Otherwise, I think what you gain in precision, you lose to clumsiness.

Yes, you're right. Maybe it went like this:

Top Marketing Guy: Here's our new slogan: "More Americans watch NBC news than any other news organization in the world."

Tom Brokaw: Ah, just a second, that isn't right.

Top Marketing Guy: You're fired, Tom. Get Brian Williams in here.

BTW, were you an editor or something similar?

I probably got this disease from my advisor in grad school, who was very picky about writing.

TromboneAl said:
I probably got this disease from my advisor in grad school, who was very picky about writing.

No way. Can't blame your ARedness on anything but your genes.

Go ahead. Try to diagram these sentence fragments. :D

REW

""We have found that older people have better quality of life the healthier they are and the more financially independent they are, which supports the suggestion that intelligence is not a significant determinate.""

This contradicts studies ive seen in the past on the same thing.  Studies ive read in the past show positive coorelation between intelligence and happiness (at any age).

>I usually score about 140 on IQ tests.  I'd rather be, and like to think that i am, wiser than I am intelligent though.  I dont believe there's any correlation between wisdom and intelligence.

azanon said:
""We have found that older people have better quality of life the healthier they are and the more financially independent they are, which supports the suggestion that intelligence is not a significant determinate.""

This contradicts studies ive seen in the past on the same thing.  Studies ive read in the past show positive coorelation between intelligence and happiness (at any age).

>I usually score about 140 on IQ tests.  I'd rather be, and like to think that i am, wiser than I am intelligent though.  I dont believe there's any correlation between wisdom and intelligence.

I usually say "common sense and intelligence". Same thing.

JG

It's been my personal experience in dealing with elderly retireees, as limited as it may be, that having sufficient wealth to cover all possible expenses (including expensive LTC, nursing home, assisted living facility, etc...) gives them the peace of mind to enjoy the time they have left.  My grandmother, who recently passed away at the age of 95 (almost 96), would never have outlived her money.  She felt comfortable paying whatever was required for her daily existence and medical care, since doing so relieved her of the burden such realities.  She could enjoy playing bridge, and when she couldn't see the cards anymore, listening to books on tape, and when she couldn't hear the books on tape, she simply enjoyed sitting in the sun on a bench in her assisted living facility's fountain/garden park.

Perhaps that's what money buys you in your old age -- peace of mind -- regardless of how intelligent your mind may be.

I usually say "common sense and intelligence".  Same thing.

No.... its not.   Intelligence is very quantitative.   Intelligence is just raw brain processing power.  If you've ever taken an actual IQ test, you realize this.   

I am thinking, right now, of a friend who was Validictorian in 89 of my former high school (I was Val in 90'  ::) ) who was super intelligent;  I'm talking 33-34 act composite, went on to Med School (34 MCAT), and is now head of surgery in Fayetteville for a rather large private firm.  This guy....  had/has the common sense of a door knob.   I remember having to help him with girls cause he couldnt socially adapt to the situation at all, despite being a relatively attractive guy.   To this day, he still has no horse sense.

I also was roomates in college with a guy who also blew his standardized tests away.   He flunked out after the first year.   Intelligence allowed him to ace the standardized tests.  Lack of wisdom ensured he was quick to flunk out.    In kind, this happened to another friend of mine in Grad school at Baylor.  Clearly, the most intellgent guy in the program at that time, but still ended up failing his exit exam cause he was too lazy to do even a half-ass job on his research.   I hear, even 7 years later, he's (still)  a bar tender;  a job he took after flunking.    He's damn intelligent though, and bet he could still easily score over 150 on an IQ test!

It's been my personal experience in dealing with elderly retireees, as limited as it may be, that having sufficient wealth to cover all possible expenses (including expensive LTC, nursing home, assisted living facility, etc...) gives them the peace of mind to enjoy the time they have left.

I refuse to believe simpletons who live basic lives and did not have the opportunity (or take advantage of an opportunity) to experience higher education can have an equal quality of experience that I do, given what I know.   I believe to enjoy anything to its fullest, you have to understand it (as well as it can be understood, or get as close to understanding as possible).   I include life in that.

But that discussion is subjective.   This has been quantified in the past with questionairres and coorelation studies where people took IQ tests, and were later asked to rate their happiness level.   Positive correlation was found.   

No, i dont recall where i saw this study or who did it.

As an aside, i used to play the old ad&d pen and paper. I guess I sort of carry on this tradition today with PC games. Anyway, Wisdom and Intelligence are different attributes in this game, each treated as unrelated to the other. I believe some of the more in-depth manuals have some nice descriptions of both, and provide a good overview as to how they have nothing to do with each other.

MRGALT2U said:
I usually say "common sense and intelligence".  Same thing.

JG

I agree azanon, that common sense and intelligence are not the same thing.  Intelligence is in a great degree what you are born with, but also how the abilities you were born with, were trained, educated, etc.   Intelligence will help with mastering physical chemistry and quantum mechanics.  Common sense won't help squat.
Common sense is exactly that...common. A sense of what one should do.  
So the two would be almost oxymoronic.
Although not mutually exclusive, common sense and intelligence, in my observation, are definitely not always co-possessed.

On the other hand JG, can't think of anyone who feels compelled to announce his intelligence over and over who is sooo highly intelligent. Or at least anyone over the age of eight. :LOL:

azanon said:
This has been quantified in the past with questionairres and coorelation studies where people took IQ tests, and were later asked to rate their happiness level. Positive correlation was found.

No, i dont recall where i saw this study or who did it.

This is a well known correlation in the medical literature that has made it's way into the lay press. A quick lit search in pubmed (free) would turn 'em up.

azanon said:
As an aside, i used to play the old ad&d pen and paper. I guess I sort of carry on this tradition today with PC games. Anyway, Wisdom and Intelligence are different attributes in this game, each treated as unrelated to the other. I believe some of the more in-depth manuals have some nice descriptions of both, and provide a good overview as to how they have nothing to do with each other.

Dude, I hung with such a nerdy crowd, we use to say things like, "ha, you failed your dexterity roll!" when someone tripped. Loved that game, Shadowrun, GERPS, Rifts, Star Wars RPG etc.

That positive correlation between I.Q. and happiness, I would be interested in reading more about that, I'll do some research. I would think the correlation would taper off as you got more than 2 or three standard deviations from the norm. It seems extremely high I.Q. people are often misfit/outcasts

Over the years my personal definition of success has changed. I used to think it was about achievement, or money, or education. Most very intelligent people eventually manage to excell in one of these areas...yet many of them are still discontent. The ability to solve complex problems seems a little hollow if it doesn't also include the ability to enjoy life. Intelligence is a gift that is not earned. You either have it or you dont, so mere posession isn't much more admirable than winning the lottery. I guess the point of this ramble is that I admire those who are able to enjoy and appreciate the world around them, intelligent or no. :)

R_K said:
Over the years my personal definition of success has changed.  I used to think it was about achievement, or money, or education.  Most very intelligent people eventually manage to excell in one of these areas...yet many of them are still discontent.  The ability to solve complex problems seems a little hollow if it doesn't also include the ability to enjoy life.  Intelligence is a gift that is not earned. You either have it or you dont, so mere posession isn't much more admirable than winning the lottery.  I guess the point of this ramble is that I admire those who are able to enjoy and appreciate the world around them, intelligent or no.   :)

The same thing could be said for those born as one of the "beautiful people", except that beauty fades far more quickly than intelligence. In fact, if you're born beautiful, you often don't feel the need to use your brain, since people will treat you better based on your looks.

I don't see why intelligence *should* be correlated to happiness.   Intelligence is like good vision.   Sure, it's nice to be able to see clearly and to see distant objects.   But if you have poor vision, everybody looks good.   :)

TromboneAl said:
. . .I'd like to put all my money in a trust, and then become an ignorant dumba$$.
Reminds me of an old college philosophy paper assignment:  Write a paper answering the question, "Is it better to be Socrates dissatisfied or a pig satisfied?"

The problem is, by the time you are able to ask the question, it's too late to be the pig.   :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom