Is anyone worried about the state of this country?

i didn't realise there was an our Side, i thought we were discussing Bush' handling of Iraq.

A major differance between Canadian and Americans, the bumper stickers I saw on US cars attacking Bush, no one in Canada would dare voice such vocal opposition.

I saw one car, I was tempted to ask him to put on my Canadian license plates, drive the car to Walmart, then videotape for CNN what happened.

I CHICKENED OUT. :-X

Serbia was UN, all nations were involved, including Canada.
Afghanistan is UN, Canada is heading up that mission.
Korea was UN, Vietnam, you went alone, we all know what happened there.

Your Stalinistic revision of history is amusing.
The NATO bombing of Serbia was US led, all the way.
The Taliban in Afghanistan were defeated by the US special forces and local anti-Taliban Muslims. NATO, not the UN , is trying to head up the effort now in Afghanistan. Serious concern exists about their abilities there.
Korea was mostly US forces- and casualites. USA KIA- 33,000 Canada KIA- 291

500, your Pat Buchanan take on history is amusing, the UN is in Afganistan, the mission is under the lead of the Canadian Forces.

The fact that the US played a principal role in the Korean War is probably the main reason we lost it, as you did in Vietnam, as you did in 1812, and had the Allies listened to Montgomery instead of Eisenhower, there would have been no divided Germany.

The Communist Chinese beat the Kuomingtang under Chiang, a Canadian, Dr Norman Bethune played a large role in that victory, statues to him are almost as numerous as those to Mao and explain why Canadians are well accepted in China.

Americans do not make particularly good soldiers, but they are very well armed, that is what makes them a force to reckon with.

The Australians have castigated your troops in Afghanistan and in Iraq for behaving like a bunch of cowboys, discipline is not their forte.

Green Berest were originally the Devils Brigade, trained by Canadian Commandos using then principles of the Royal Marines, the True Red Berets.

In Korea the saying was, If you are going down a river, take a Canadian with you.

You brag about casualties, maybe your guys made easy targets:confused:

A major failing of the US Education System is its' lack of focus on International History. :cool:

Maximillion said:
i didn't realise there was an our Side, i thought we were discussing Bush' handling of Iraq.

A major differance between Canadian and Americans, the bumper stickers I saw on US cars attacking Bush, no one in Canada would dare voice such vocal opposition.

I saw one car, I was tempted to ask him to put on my Canadian license plates, drive the car to Walmart, then videotape for CNN what happened.

I CHICKENED OUT. :-X

I suppose this goes a long way toward explaining why you and some (not all) of your other Canadian friends do so much US bashing on the forum. You aren't afraid to let your true colors come out when you can be anonymous are you? Makes the readers here have lots of respect for you standing up and speaking out for what you believe in...as long as you can hide behind a pseudonym.

Or does even that make you nervous and change your name occasionally Howard Maximillion? ;)

Your opinions are inflammatory. That is what is good about America. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Even America haters.

Canada will always be in the shadow of America. It is not really a country, just a business arrangement.

NATO is leading the multinational force in Afghanistan.
Canada's military is underfunded, like the health care system. Canada has a pittance of about 2000 soldiers deployed in Afghanistan. US still does the bulk of the work with over 15,000 troops there.
A surge in violence has rattled Canada's troops in Afghanistan, and raises new  questions about the Canadian military's mission.
There is hope.
Canada's military is talking tough. "We're going to start kicking them, said Canadian Brigadier General Fraser" Those were unfamiliar messages for Canadians accustomed to seeing themselves in the post-cold war world as benign peacekeepers.
A lot of Canadians don't want to be in Afghanistan. They apparently would rather bask in their government pensions and and stick their heads is the sand...perhaps until the day an Iman requires Canadian women to wear burkahs.

http://www.time.com/time/canada/article/0,8599,1172424,00.html

REWahoo! said:
I suppose this goes a long way toward explaining why you and some (not all) of your other Canadian friends do so much US bashing on the forum.  You aren't afraid to let your true colors come out when you can be anonymous are you?  Makes the readers here have lots of respect for you standing up and speaking out for what you believe in...as long as you can hide behind a pseudonym.

Or does even that make you nervous and change your name occasionally Howard Maximillion? ;)

ReWahoo:  Gosh, big guy, are you having a problem with his "Arrogance with no accountablilty" style? ;)

Personally, I'd rather spend my time posting,
Jarhead, who agrees with ReWahoo that Texas is the best college team in the country, then respond to any of the crap that he dishes out. :D

Canada had no business getting involved in Afghanistan. Eventually people will get tired and political realities will force their return. It may take a while though.

Unfortunately the Yanks, and to a lesser extent the Brits, are still stuck in Iraq. How dumb!

Many in the Canadian nation persist in trying to define itself by insulting Americans. Canadian nationalists continue to announce how they are not like “those Americans" because they have absolutely no idea who they are themselves.

It must be excruciating to be a Canadian and look upon a neighbor that is the most successful country in the world – and that has nurtured a profound respect for a flag that actually possesses serious and meaningful themes.

And it is simply hilarious, in the most tragic sense, how these individuals pride themselves on their “tolerance” and "multiculturalism," when they simultaneously engage in anti-Americanism.

In the end, it is clear where anti-American Canadian nationalists belong: in the company of Noam Chomsky, Susan Sontag, and all others that swim in the putrid swamp of hate.

Jamie Glazov

mark500 said:
Your opinions are inflammatory.
Max/Howard, you seem to be going out of your way to make your chauvinistic Canadian anti-U.S. statements.  It goes beyond humor.  I think it's rude, and here's my take on the motivations behind the "Rude Canadian" phenomenon:

Two bulls were sitting in a pasture one day, chewing some grass and watching the nearby herd of cows while contemplating their next adventure in that area.  

Suddenly a truck & trailer pulled up to the gate, and out stolled the biggest, most muscular, most intimidating, and most fearsome bull they'd ever seen.  The new bull started looking around at the scenery, noticed the herd of cows, and then looked over at the two bulls.

The first one of the other two bulls looked at the newcomer, broke eye contact, and said "Ya know, if he wants to have his way with the cows then that's OK with me.  I think I'm gonna find something to do on the other side of the pasture for a while."

The second bull thought for a minute, glared at the newcomer, jumped to his feet, and started snorting & pawing the ground as if he was preparing to charge the monster.  

Horrified, the first bull asked "What the heck are you doing?!?"  

The second bull replied "I want to make sure that he knows I'm a bull!"

Please understand that I'm not applying this parable to all Canadians-- only those who seem to spend an inordinate amount of their time stirring up anti-American controversy on this board.  

mark, nords jarhead, that is what makes you guys the laughing stock of the world, you actually believe that crap.

You forget about Americans buying Canadian Passport Jackets for their own as they were afraid to travel,or putting the Maple Leaf on their back packs to get rides in Europe and maybe some of you could please define an American?

Is that an Immigrant who arrived before the last Immigrant, or are you like the French where only certain Immigrants can be defined as French??

Obnoxious and Inflammatory, I suggest you guys read your own posts, and I am mindful of the Moderator, who may or may not have a particular bias??

Even funnier, my Anglo-Irish accent causes most Americans to guess my accent as being from Boston(my favourite US city).

I would suggest before this gets nasty, we change the subject matter although as much as the Australians define themselves by not being English, nothing wrong with defining yourself by not being American. :smitten:

Maximillion said:
mark, nords jarhead, that is what makes you guys the laughing stock of the world, you actually believe that crap.
It's like reading Hyperborea all over again. Gosh, Max, when I get to be your age I hope I'm not as old as you are.

Good talking with ya, you have a nice life now.

Quite simply howard (I refuse to use your pseudonyms, and doesnt this board have a policy against users with multiple login accounts?), your little country wouldnt exist (or at best would be a wasteland of fishermen and drunks) if you didnt live in the shadow of the united states military. We'd rather not have had the soviets living in our back yard during the cold war. Canada has had the benefit of using their money socially, rather than maintaining a real military presence to protect their own soil. But we do let them polish our tanks when we all go to war...

Furthermore, almost everything you've said is either wrong, or irrelevant. While I'm less than pleased with some of the things my country does, and I'm aware that our leader is a frickin moron, I dont have to listen to some fake haired blowhard like you about it.

With that in mind...

Now, my story begins in 19-dickety-two. We had to say "dickety" 'cause that Kaiser had stolen our word "twenty". I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles...What're you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem! I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet. Stop your snickerin'! I spent three years on that terlet! So, we sealed up the paintings knowing only one of us would ever look upon them again. Ox was the first to go; he got a hernia carrying the crate out of the castle. Five more men died in the Veteran's Day float disaster of '79. Now, with Asa gone, it's down to me and Burns. But three wars back we called Sauerkraut "liberty cabbage" and we called liberty cabbage "super slaw" and back then a suitcase was known as a "Swedish lunch box." Of course, nobody knew that but me. Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling...

My, my. Max and I really stirred the pot, eh? ;) No worries, Nords. This tempest is actually pretty tame compared to flames on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forums.

Now, back to the flames! :D I have my misgivings and criticisms of the US government. There have been many sins that give me anguish, but I don't have to resort to revisionist history to do so. The facts are hard enough. I also have criticisms of the Canadian government, by the way. As a resident and taxpayer, it is my right, but I mostly keep it to myself. (Not polite, y'know?)

Regardless, I am proud to be a stakeholder in both countries and I appreciate things about each that the natives sometimes miss. That's the great thing about travel. You get new eyes.

Normally, I don't get into political disputes in any country and I really don't think this forum is a good place for them.

Dang. CFB got into the Merlot a little early today, didn't he?

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
My, my.  Max and I really stirred the pot, eh?   ;)  No worries, Nords.
You're cool, Ed. You actually discuss topics other than pro-Canadian & anti-U.S. (I'm going to presume those are two different categories) without feeling the need to delete posts or change identities!

Hey howie...did you know theres a headshot of you available on the internet?

baghdad-bob.jpg

:LOL:

Sorry Ed, just on coffee right now. And dont mind the rhetoric, i'm half candian myself...the half that isnt like our stuffed shirt troll.

Later on, when I break out the merlot (and how did you know what the box in my kitchen says? :laugh) there'll be some better stuff.

I just bought a full bag of onions. The nice white ones.

Nords,

Jes' following your lead, big guy. :D

Sometimes I get tired of trying to behave like an adult when everybody else doesn't have to. Then I hear my dad's voice telling me not to do something stupid. Sometimes I listen. :-[

CFB wrote,
Later on, when I break out the merlot (and how did you know what the box in my kitchen says? :laugh) there'll be some better stuff.

I hope it's better than the stuff I poured into the sink last night. Back to the cab for me.

I'm on to the guiness I bought on sale in bulk the day after st pattys day...starting to get too warm around here during the evenings for wine.

Combined with those white onions, should be a heck of a time.

For the life of me, why are some of you people so bloody ultra sensitive of any criticism, even put in the mildest of terms, about the Americans. From what I have read above nobody is taking potshots at Americans per se but more so being critical of their administration. So what's the problem?

Thank the lawd, I see that sort of commentary everyday on some US TV channels.

I am a Briton but don't care for Tony Blair. Does that make me anti-British?

Get real folks!

Because we're guests here. Mike and Howard are doing the same thing that got them banned from "The Wealthy Boomer" and "The Financial Webring".

Zipper said:
Because we're guests here Mike and Howard is doing the same thing that got him banned from "The Wealthy Boomer" and "The Financial Webring".

Zipper .. you are half right. I was only declared 'persona non grata' at one site. Not both.

I now post at both, under my name 'mike'.

As for being 'guests', well that could be said of any poster, at any site, in any country.

Back
Top Bottom