Is anyone worried about the state of this country?

You gotta wonder when a Member of Home Land Security is on TV, charged with soliciting sex with a 14 year old:confused:??

I always thought a Minute Man was someone who double parked in front of a Whore House, but I guess they are keeping the Mexican Border under watch:confused:?

If Mexico owned Texas,and the Gringos stole Texas, how can the Mexicans be Illegal:confused:

Isn't there someway our fine legislators can include Canadian tourists along with illegals in upcoming legislation?

I'm not sure how to read that youbet?

Are you linking me with illegal Mexican migrants.

I've been across the border hundreds of times and spend money freely in the USA.

I have a passport and Mrs. Zipper does. Never had to use them at Pt. Huron, Detroit or Buffalo.

If you are telling me that my son, daughter-in-law, and 3 grandchildren have to get passports ($500) then I can see a problem. We'll go to Canada's Wonderland instead of Disneyworld.

This is going to be a big screwup. Your Northern border is not the problem.

Ask anyone in Michigan, New York, Minnesota or Washington.

CNBC was discussing today, how to play the Chinese economic phenomena.

A suggestion was to invest in commodities, the fuel for their economic expansion, as well as India's.

Guess what Politically stable, defecit free country is the source for all the commodities that are so much in demand, what will be affect on their currency all the money flowing into that country ?

I would suggest that maybe Arrogance south of the border may need to be tempered in the future, we can buy condos in Spain, Mexico, or Florida?

I have no problem with the Passport Issue, i think any country has legitimate rights to ensure its' security, but you reap what you sow.r

Zipper said:
I've been across the border hundreds of times and spend money freely in the USA.

I have a passport and Mrs. Zipper does. Never had to use them at Pt. Huron, Detroit or Buffalo.

If you are telling me that my son, daughter-in-law, and 3 grandchildren have to get passports ($500) then I can see a problem. We'll go to Canada's Wonderland instead of Disneyworld.

This is going to be a big screwup. Your Northern border is not the problem.

Ask anyone in Michigan, New York, Minnesota or Washington.

We travel to Thunder Bay, Ontario fairly frequently. Have to eat at the Hoito once in a while. :) No passport required, no problems.

Both US citizens and Canadians are going to need a passport soon to go back and forth. The latest from the state department:

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

December 31, 2006 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
December 31, 2007 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.
This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

Waste of resources.

I completely support any State enacting any policy it deems fit to protect its' borders, but 911 illustrated, the enemy are already within, the cells are already within, they are just waiting for their next strike.

The guys that boarded the planes had all the right paperwork.

Zipper said:
Are you linking me with illegal Mexican migrant

No, I'm not linking you with illegal Mexican immigrants.  How could you possibly get that out of my post?  People are people.  I never put folks into ethnic boxes.  You did that.

I have a passport too.  Everyone should.

Don't care if your son, DIL and grandkids get passports or not Zipper.  How did you ever think to bring your children and grandchildren into this discussion?  :-\  That's up to them.

However, since you did bring kids and grandkids up, my son and DIL also gave me three wonder grandchildren: Jimmy 5, Catie 3.5 and Michael 4 months. :)

When I canoe the BWCAW and Quetico Provincial Park, I obtain Remote Border Crossing  permits from Canada, carry my passport and follow the rules.  Why are you so upset about doing the same.  It's simple, quick and automatic. 

Maximillion said:
we can buy condos in Spain, Mexico, or Florida?

Strongly suggest when visiting your condo in Spain or Mexico, you bring your passport. You'll never get across the border or out of the airport without one. ;)

youbet said:
I have a passport too. Everyone should.

I was always amazed, even 40, 30, 20 years ago, that I was able to travel south and merely show either my provincial drivers license or medicare card or both and not bother with a passport. I have always had a valid passport.

Two actually.

Last time I went south was in 1990 and if I am ever required to do so again I will not think it unusual to carry a passport.

Passports are relatively cheap. My UK passport is good for ten years.

youbet, I do, I have two, like Limey, Red and Canadian.

England has ensured many years of bombings by Irish Terrorists, bombs that were aimed at Monuments, Subways, Political gatherings etc.

The Bombers, Irish and their sympathisers had been in England for years, had all the right paperwork, and their primary source of money was from Irish Ex Pats living in the US, primarily in the Boston area.

Why would the US think it is immune from attacks from within, from people already living here, from people who are working and able to send funds overseas:confused:

Imagine, you see on CNN, that your Brother and his family were just killed by US troops, what emotion do you think that would stir:confused:

Security in the US must be maintained and, IMO, increased, but until the next attack takes place, people will still see it as happening over there.

Security is hampered by the very freedoms that Terrorists want denied, the necessary tools to effective surveillance are forbidden.

youbet said:
Isn't there someway our fine legislators can include Canadian tourists along with illegals in upcoming legislation?
Why are you including Canadian tourists with illegals?

About 23% of Americans and 40% of Canadians have passports.

Maximillion said:
England has ensured many years of bombings by Irish Terrorists
Indeed they have.......  It's a sad, sad story.  :-[

their primary source of money was from Irish Ex Pats living in the US
I've heard that too except rather than Ex Pats, I thought the source was US citizens of Irish heritage or Irish-friendly US citizens of any heritage, legal Irish-friendly aliens on various visas, illegal Irish-friendly aliens and anti-UK folks of any ethnicity.

Why would the US think it is immune from attacks from within
Good question.  Clearly, the current administration thinks there are huge issues regarding the possibility of attacks from within and has taken steps to be able to gather intelligence.  Because the steps taken can be interpreted as threatening privacy rights of citizens, they are very unpopular with many.  It's a tough situation. 

Security is hampered by the very freedoms that Terrorists want denied, the necessary tools to effective surveillance are forbidden.

On that point we agree.

But, having said all that, I can't see any issue with showing passports at the Canadian border.  It can't hurt and it might help. 

Duh

The good ole USA has a long and storied history of creating home grown terrorists - not just foreign ones.

But I think our highest unexpected loss is still getting in the car and driving.

Oh well - it's always something. Don't ya just love to worry?

Heh heh heh

Zipper said:
Why are you including Canadian tourists with illegals?

Zipper, here in the States we've developed rules that call for no "racial profiling."  I'm not an expert and I'm not a civil rights lawyer.  But, I think that means that we don't focus on folks of any particular ethnicity for investigation.  Therefore, in our culture, which is trying to be ethnic neutral, we would require identification from everyone coming and going, not just from folks who happen to look "Mexican" or "Arab" or "Whatever."

I know you folks have a little different attitude about these sort of things up there, and so be it.  That's why, for example, when I'm zig-zagging back and forth across the USA/Canadian border in remote areas on canoe trips, I'm sure to obey all Canadian rules and carry a Canadian Remote Border Crossing Permit and my USA passport.  

Don't give me that condescending b*llshit.

Canada is THE most racially diverse country on the planet.

How come Canadians always wear those plaid ear-muff hats ?? Is that a nationalistic thing ?

Zipper said:
Don't give me that condescending b*ll****.

Canada is THE most racially diverse country on the planet.

Zipper, why are you so concerned about showing identification when entering the USA?  It just doesn't seem like it should be a big deal.

I certainly am not trying to be condescending.  I just don't know where you're coming from when you ask why I'm grouping Canadians with Mexicans for purposes of requiring identification.  My answer is sincere.  I don't believe in racial profiling and therefore if identification is going to be required, it should be required of ALL.

MB, No, it is to hide the Aluminum Helmet so we don't get all those signals being beamed to us by all those Satellites. :D

Youbet, you have travelled some interesting country, not many Canadians even get there.

Many US Citizens own property in my area, they have for generations, they are more protective of the environment than many of the locals.

Canadians, Americans, Australians , similar, are NOT a Race, they are Immigrants, albeit, some are Saxon, Hun, Celt, Iberian, etc.

Hmmm

Is it just me or does this forum have a history of razzing Canadians - glad to see a few overcome their inate 'politness and razzing back.

Sometimes I miss some my old Brit/Commonweath types from the old plant and retiree lunches - haven't been a 'myopic, provincial Colonial' in a while. Plus we had a Scot or two - to keep the Brits honest.

Bill, Euan, Roger, Coop, Billymac.

Oh well!

Maximillion said:
Youbet, you have travelled some interesting country, not many Canadians even get there.

Many US Citizens own property in my area, they have for generations, they are more protective of the environment than many of the locals.

It's great country.  And I'm especially glad to hear that US property owners are being protective of the environment up there.

I'll soon be spending more time on the water exploring the Canadian northwoods.  Megacorp, where I've been toiling for 27 years, is asking me to retire since I'm "old" and has eliminated my position.  I haven't been able to locate an alternate job, so I guess RE here I come.  DW and I are FI by the normal calculations, so this isn't really bad news.

I did get one job offer.  My canoeing partner, a college instructor from northern Wisconsin, called and offered me a job paddling my end of the canoe!  I've accepted!  With time no longer an issue, we're planning on adding a trip to  Woodland Caribou Park to our normal BWCAW and Quetico Provincial Park agenda.  I'll also be joining a group of MBA school buddies fishing on Gull Lake, just south of Red Lake, Ontario, in June.

Sometimes it seems a little strange needing camping permits (for Crown Land or Provincial parks), Remote Border Crossing Permits, fishing licenses, picture identification (I use my USA passport) and all that to spend time alone in the Canadian wilderness.  But I respect the rules and comply.

I think I saw that movie wher they go canoeing.

Is your canoe partner Burt Reynolds ?

unclemick said:
The good ole USA has a long and storied history of creating home grown terrorists - not just foreign ones.
Yeah, like the rabble-rousing Tom Paine & Ben Franklin. And what about those wild-eyed Sons of Liberty?

Back
Top Bottom