Is anyone worried about the state of this country?

unclemick said:
Hmmm

Is it just me or does this forum have a history of razzing Canadians

Nope, just obnoxious trolls.

MasterBlaster said:
I think I saw that movie wher they go canoeing.

Is your canoe partner Burt Reynolds ?

Well, nooooo....... no Burt Reynolds.  But......  DW and I have canoe'd the Buffalo National River in northern Arkansas where "Deliverance" was filmed.  Absolutely beautiful beyond description.  LOTS of white water, bluffs and woodlands. The Buffalo River was the first river to be preserved as natural and free flowing under federal control.

We camp on gravel bars and fish for smallies on the Buffalo.  After the Buffalo ends at its confluence with the White River, we fish for Rainbow, Brown and Brook Trout on the White.  It makes a nice week.

Speaking of "Deliverance," last weekend DW and I attended a concert by acoustic singer-songwriter Ronnie Cox.  He was in the movie and played the guitar part of the song "Dueling Banjos."  He's really good.  See him if he comes to your town.

Thanks for asking!

Nords

I was thinking of Harpers Ferry, Waco, Ruby Ridge, etc, etc.

If you are on the win - you're not a terriorist - er ah?? right?

John Brown was too early.

heh heh heh heh - Of course Tom Paine was a failed British publicist and those dumb Texans at the Alamo where military dufusses.

I remenber getting really ticked at Encyclopedia Britainica after reading their version while watching Disney's Fess Parker go down noblely on B/W tv while wearing my coon skin hat.

Thanks for reminding me of that site TA! Hadn't been there in a long, long time. Reading some of the stories puts me in a better frame of mind regarding the end of a career and the state of the country(ies).

As long as I'm not sitting in my cube today, guess I'll head out to the garage and tinker with camping/canoeing gear instead of sitting here in front of the tube! ::)
youbet

Canoed the Buffalo some years back; rented from some folks who could've been in the movie... Had a bumper sticker on their truck:

You'll have so much fun, you'll squeal like a pig... :LOL:

Filled out the paperwork at a telephone cable spool "table", while sitting on an old commode...

Youbet, I spent a lot of time canoeing the BWCA and Quetico when I was in my teens and 20s. At that point in time it wasn't considered much of a big deal to venture back and forth in and out of US and Canada waters. You were supposed to "check in" at a particular point, but usually no one was there to do the check in so you went anyway. So I guess I am a confessed former illegal alien. :)

I remember the first canoe trip my sister, cousin and I took in the BWCA for a week. We actually brought potatoes. We learned quickly that portaging 10 pounds of potatoes was not fun.

I guess we will live with needing a passport, but frankly it feels stranger to me traveling to the southern US than it does traveling to Ontario.

Franklin Washington, Jefferson, etc were Traitors who should have been shot, they would have but for the weakness of the German occupying the British Throne.

Tax evaders, Elliott Spitzer would have jailed them, along with Kozlowski.

Benedict Arnold stayed true to his lawful monarch.

Custer murdered Children and Women, he was Hero, Geronimo fought for his people, he was jailed and reviled.

American History is one big . fairy story, manipulated to the point it is one big lie.

Lincoln, reputed to be Homosexual, broke all the laws, to grab the wealth of the South, the story about freeing the Negro was made up, a hundred years later, a Black Minister did what hundreds of thousands of dead could not.

Rockefeller, J.P. Morgan, Kennedy etc , all crooks , but they have the right spin doctors.

Poor Nixon, he didn't have Kennedy's good looks.

brewer, speaking of trolls, Beowulf and Grundel is now playing.

The British were never defeated, what was defeated were German Mercenaries

Do any of you see the parrallels between the US action and the Iraqui situation, nice uniforms versus hit and run guerillas, a differant King George.

Americans are not taught about the War of 1812, because they lost, Washington was burned to the ground.

For primary/secondary school's version of history, you are correct. Any university level history course will dispel many of these myths...

Funny how the Iraqis never rose up against Saddam...

Freedom fighters, my ass eye...

MasterBlaster said:
I think I saw that movie wher they go canoeing.

Is your canoe partner Burt Reynolds ?
Gee Masterblaster, no offense, but were YOU in Deliverance?
Was your partner Ned Beatty?

Ha - rumph!

I was posting fast and mis-spelling in a hurry cause the contractor was coming over.

I've been stiffed for somebody else's deck - "before the rain gets here."

Channel surfing last night - Cramer was going on about some 'Chavez land' gold stock.

Yahoo says futures 'tapped $600/oz' today.

And we're going on about the rise and fall of nations!

heh heh heh - worry worry - heh heh heh

Maximillion said:
Franklin Washington, Jefferson, etc were Traitors who should have been shot, they would have but for the weakness of the German occupying the British Throne.

Custer murdered Children and Women, he was Hero, Geronimo fought for his people, he was jailed and reviled.

American History is one big . fairy story, manipulated to the point it is one big lie.

Lincoln, reputed to be Homosexual, broke all the laws, to grab the wealth of the South, the story about freeing the Negro was made up, a hundred years later, a Black Minister did what hundreds of thousands of dead could not.

Rockefeller, J.P. Morgan, Kennedy etc , all crooks , but they have the right spin doctors.

The British were never defeated, what was defeated were German Mercenaries

Do any of you see the parrallels between the US action and the Iraqui situation, nice uniforms versus hit and run guerillas, a differant King George.

Americans are not taught about the War of 1812, because they lost, Washington was burned to the ground.

Envy, Resentment and Bitterness don't become you Max. ;)

Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

The one that always worked for me: " So tell me again why you are going to give up your green card and become an American citizen."

Gee Masterblaster, no offense, but were YOU in Deliverance?
Was your partner Ned Beatty?

- No offense to anybody... I was just trying to be funny... Maybe it didn't work so well

Maximillion said:
Lincoln, reputed to be Homosexual,  broke all the laws, to grab the wealth of the South, the story about freeing the Negro was made up, a hundred years later, a Black Minister did what hundreds of thousands of dead could not.
Rockefeller, J.P. Morgan, Kennedy etc blah blah blah...
Gosh, Max, I was joking. It was meant to be funny. Lighten up!

Sometimes I wonder what you'd have to talk about if it didn't involve patronizing comments or snide American jabs. I guess you'd have no reason for the chip on your shoulder and the envy in your posts, eh? I don't even think of Canada until you rev up your rhetoric. Ironically, when you do, the image that pops into my mind is the Muppet character of Sam the Eagle.

Tomorrow I'll still be smiling, enjoying the company of my fellow posters, and joking. Kindly try to remember that before you spew forth with your retribution. And good luck with whatever approach you have to life...

MasterBlaster said:
- No offense to anybody... I was just trying to be funny... Maybe it didn't work so well
:D
eh....Have you checked your avatar lately...I've got a good answer to all three of your replies...

Maximillion said:

Lincoln, reputed to be Homosexual,  broke all the laws, to grab the wealth of the South, the story about freeing the Negro was made up, a hundred years later, a Black Minister did what hundreds of thousands of dead could not.

The British  were never defeated, what was defeated were German Mercenaries

Do any of you see the parrallels between the US action and the Iraqui situation, nice  uniforms versus hit and run guerillas, a differant King George.

Whoa! I imagine you had to wipe the screen off when you were done with this one! German Mercenaries (Known as "Hessians") made up about 1/3 of British troop strength. While some of the more famous battles involved Hessians, like the dawn raid after Washington crossed the Delaware, there was majority Limey a** beating going on. ;)

While the White house was set on fire during the war of 1812, the fire was put out well before it burned to the ground, an interesting side note, during the refurbishing in the late 1980's, those scraping the old paint off found scorch marks from that firing nearly 200 years earlier. That war ended with England suing for peace, capitulating to our demands, but that letter from the King did not reach his Generals until the Brits got one more beat down up in the New Orleans area-that battle propelled Andrew Jackson to stardom and his eventual Presidency. The British Navy left stung with the knowledge the American ships won most of the single ship duels, some of them by a "humiliating margin".

Now Canadians actually came out looking quite good, repelling the U.S. invaders who thought they would be looked upon as liberators, and gained a sense of national identity, I think that's when Quebec/French Canada decided to more fully associate itself with it's English speaking neighbors...

eh....Have you checked your avatar lately...I've got a good answer to all three of your replies...

That avatar picture is just me on a windy day...

Here's a better picture of me

Attachments

• sophisticated.jpg
    sophisticated.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 77
  • sophisticated.jpg_thumb
    28.1 KB · Views: 3
Picture of the real Dan Tien

Attachments

• Nerdguy.jpg
    Nerdguy.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Nerdguy.jpg_thumb
    24.8 KB · Views: 2
MasterBlaster said:
That avatar picture is just me on a windy day...

Here's a better picture of me
Wow...its amazing what a shave haircut a tux and keeping your mouth closed can do...

MasterBlaster said:
Picture of the real Dan Tien
Hey...god....I wish I looked that good :D
I think the Buddy Holley look is coming back by the way...going to get me some of those glasses...

Are there any members that used a pocket protector or carried a slide rule...??

MasterBlaster said:
- Just ribbing you Dan... All in fun
Stop doing that! Stop telling me you're ribbing me or I'm going to get really miffed at you....and I'm not ribbing you! :mad:

On the original topic, is anyone else excited about the state of the country, and dying to live there, and thankful that at least one country has taken on the responsibility of leading the civilized world in all domains of human endeavor? It gives one hope for the future of and admiration of humanity.

Cool Dood said:
On the original topic, is anyone else excited about the state of the country, and dying to live there, and thankful that at least one country has taken on the responsibility of leading the civilized world in all domains of human endeavor? It gives one hope for the future of and admiration of humanity.

Alas but I am not the least excited and I am not 'dying to live here'. I could have done so quite easily some 30 years ago but chose not to.

As to having taken on the responsibility of leading the civilized world in all domains of human endevour I would say you are very much 'gung ho' about the good ole USA. However, others outside its borders (and I suspect many within its borders) do not exactly share your enthusiasm.

As we say in these parts 'chacun son gout'.

PS .. the USA has many good things going for it but no need to put it on a pedestal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom