Manatees Anyone?

Senator

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just got back from Manatee State Park in FL. Cold weather brings the manatees to the power plant.

According to the park service at noon today, there were 137+ manatees in the water. They were everywhere. I would bet way more than the 137.

In this hard to see picture, there are at least 20, although many are too deep to see. Since a few come up for air every few seconds, you cannot get the real feel for how many are actually there in the picture.

It's a great time to see them in a concentrated place.

Attachments

• 20160119_114008.jpg
    20160119_114008.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 68
Just got back from Manatee State Park in FL. Cold weather brings the manatees to the power plant.

According to the park service at noon today, there were 137+ manatees in the water. They were everywhere. I would bet way more than the 137.

In this hard to see picture, there are at least 20, although many are too deep to see. Since a few come up for air every few seconds, you cannot get the real feel for how many are actually there in the picture.

It's a great time to see them in a concentrated place.

Cool! DW and I were there about a week ago. There were only a dozen or so there that day, which was much warmer. We were just saying earlier today that we bet there were tons of them there now, with as cold (relatively) as it's been recently.

Two years ago we had a Manatee family in our canal . It was a mother & a baby . The baby was so cute .

Here is a video from today. Lots of the manatees there.

[youtube]4_vsZGKNWCo[/youtube]

Last edited:
Very cool. A few years back I got to swim with a mother and calf while canoeing. There is a strict "no touch" rule but the calf was very curious and was close enough for me to see into his nostrils when breathing. He kept rolling onto his back like a dog asking for a belly rub. Took alot not to do it.

Very cool. A few years back I got to swim with a mother and calf while canoeing. There is a strict "no touch" rule but the calf was very curious and was close enough for me to see into his nostrils when breathing. He kept rolling onto his back like a dog asking for a belly rub. Took alot not to do it.

I would have, it's a character flaw that sometimes I break the rules :facepalm:

I saw some at the Manatee State Park, where the keeper/guide walked with waders on into the water fed them, some were pretty aggressive. The water there was also really filthy as its a favorite spot with lots of Manatee's there over the decades.
I would not want to go into that water.

Amazing animals, I've only seen them in pictures. They come to my area rarely so I guess I'll have to make a special trip someday. I see bottle nosed dolphins here and I have to make sure I maintain my composure when I see one. Get excited like a kid.

I saw some at the Manatee State Park, where the keeper/guide walked with waders on into the water fed them, some were pretty aggressive. The water there was also really filthy as its a favorite spot with lots of Manatee's there over the decades.
I would not want to go into that water.

The Orange River is a blackwater river, like most of the southern FL rivers. The water is always brown due to the tannins leaching into the water from the vegetation. Since manatees are grazing animals like cows and since the river water is constantly flowing, I wouldn't worry about getting into the water. Except for the gators, of course. I never worried about playing ball in a cow field, either. Cleanest poop there is.

I was at the park Monday (yesterday-ish), and there were dozens, if not more than a hundred of them there. It had been pretty cold here recently (although not like the blizzard up north), so they were packed in pretty tightly. Lots of chirps and clicks coming through on the underwater microphone. Also a number of calves with their moms. Pretty cool.

I've gone swimming with them in Homosossa, FL as part of an organized tour. I think it's only available in January and February, when the manatees are around. It was great fun, and educational. They are friendly creatures and love a good belly scratch.

I've gone swimming with them in Homosossa, FL as part of an organized tour. I think it's only available in January and February, when the manatees are around.
We had reservations for a swim with them (in wetsuits) last Sat, but with the high winds all of the tours were canceled. Postponed this exciting event to next month. I have a waterproof camera that I plan to take a few pics from a different perspective.

I've gone swimming with them in Homosossa, FL as part of an organized tour. I think it's only available in January and February, when the manatees are around. It was great fun, and educational. They are friendly creatures and love a good belly scratch.

I'll be there in February. Where did you book our tour?

I'll be there in February. Where did you book our tour?
Our trip has been postponed to Feb with these folks (had good reviews and have been very accommodating to us):
Captains Stacy and Mike

Manatees In Paradise

"Keeping Wildlife Wild"

We snorkeled with manatees in crystal river, FL two years ago. Cool experience...you have no idea how big they really are until you're right next to them touching their massive sides. .

Thanks for posting! We are frequently flying down to Ft Myers and will definitely go kayak there!

My DW and I have swam with them a few times and it's a fun experience. She also wrote an article about it on her travel blog.

There's lots of good information there on where to see them, and some great photos. I think they may completely outlaw it in a few more years. This last time there was already a noticeable difference in where you could go and what you could do.

If it's on your bucket list, get it done.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were just down there and was disappointed. Like Salt Springs much better. Spent 5 days paddling around with the manatees and had a great time. Much more paddling opportunities and wildlife. Saw bald eagles, egrets, heron, storks, coyote and one alligator. There were even a couple of calves who liked coming up to us in the canoe. We left Manatee Springs after only two days.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Here's a video from Salt Springs two years ago. At first, the manatees are about 25' away. Then we suddenly found ourselves surrounded.

http://youtu.be/2ecpgOTUPjw

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom