New Hampshire

Cool Dood

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hmm... maybe I'll join the Free State Project and move to New Hampshire. Any Granite Staters here? I guess the weather's lousy (I think all of New Hampshire is to the north of where I am in Canada), but other than that it seems like a really nice place. And there can't be any deadly armadillos there!

Anyone have any comments or experiences about NH?

NH is pretty nice. Weather depends. In the south it's much like that of Massachusetts, which it borders, and where I lived for many years. Winter = cold 'n' snowy. Summer = hot 'n' humid. Fall = pretty colored leaves. Spring = possibly rainy & muddy.

Economic development mostly in the more 'cosmopolitan' south, also lots of bedroom communities for people commuting to MA. North is a little more "wilderness". Small shoreline with a blue-collar, honky-tonk boardwalk atmosphere (back in the day - haven't seen it in quite a while). My mom is from Concord and I remember that as being a nice town.

Mix of a little genteel culture, a lot of Yankee-ness, some redneck yahooism (SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! New England Dragway! MOONSTER TRUCKS!). Loudon & helmetless bikers.

Deer hunting. Skiing. Flannel. Wood stoves. Farm stands.

Not sure what the FSP is up to; the NH license plates already say "Live Free or Die".
Worth a trip, anyway.

I've been a lifelong resident.  NH is ranked as one of the cheapest states to live in, tax wise.   That is even with high real estate taxes.  We have no sales or income tax.

"Life Free or Die" is our motto.  Winters can be long and cold, and summers can be short and hot.  We definately get all 4 seasons.  You can hike the mountains, swim the oceans/lakes, motorcycle and snowmobile.  

Not many Free Staters have moved here (yet) I believe.  NH usually has less laws and is more "hands off" dealing with citizens.  The legislature makes $100 a year I think for most elected positions.  

Pretty conservative, but getting more liberal as people move north from MA.  In fact, southern NH is almost like MA now...

When I lived in MA, I often went to NH to hike or visit relatives, and DD went to girl scout camp there for several years (on golden pond or nearby--lovely setting but always seemed so hot and dry when we brought her/picked her up in July). Lovely state--but very buggy in late spring...back flies, no-see-ums, mosquitos<shudder>. But the fall scenery is more magnificent than you can imagine--I remember a stand of sugar maples up in the Littleton area that were heart-achingly beautiful at their peak. I only went there once in winter--it seemed too cold to go cross-country skiing. People with respriatory or heart problems may have trouble breathing with all the pollen and the particulates from wood fires.

Many of the small towns are lovely and people there are generally polite, but the large swath near Boston is mostly suburbia--with fewer services than high quality burbs (or so we heard from acquaintences who moved there from MA). I haven't spent time in NH cities such as Manchester in over 30 years--perhaps they've been gentrified attractively, but they weren't pleasant back then. Naturally there's little govt help to improve anything either. Economic success in NH seems to spring from jobs in or near Massachusettts. Medical care is good near Dartmouth and Boston, but not sure about the rest of the state. I wonder if the Manchester Union Leader is still the most conservative city paper in the country. William Loeb's editorials back in the 60s/70s were a hoot--really outrageous as I recall.

"What the Free State Project is not... We are not a political action organization. We are not tied to any political party or organization; we do not run candidates for election, we do not financially support or endorse candidates, and we do not oppose or endorse legislation. All these things will be done by friendly organizations with which many Free Staters are involved." riiiiight.... that's what the pastor at the local new-agey cult church said. Until their expansion plans were thwarted by the town. So they packed town council with church memebers and are now building a huge campus with enormous parking lots on our most scenic town road, and the town covers the cost of extra traffic cops just for them. And to think that huge property is untaxed to benefit the town. And they are attracting many religious nuts conservatives to our formerly poltically moderate town. sigh. My relative by marriage, a moderate Republican, was replaced on town council by one of these church member/developer dudes (I believe he;s a PR flack for a paving company). He accused my relative of trying to "put good family men out of business" by implementing a planned growth policy--along with most the former incarnation of council. sigh. Not that this has anything to do with whether to move to NH or not :crazy:

I grew up in MA, and moved into southern NH about 5 years ago because of escalating housing costs.

Its nice here. No sales tax = great shopping. No income tax would be nice too, except I work in MA, so I get to pay MA income tax. I don't get to vote in MA, but I still pay their tax. Taxation without representation. In Massachusetts. Oh, the irony...

Watch out for the "hidden" taxes in NH. When we bought our house, we had to pay $1000 stamp fee. In my town we have to pay an annual residence tax, just for existing (its only $10, but still). There's a pretty steep meal tax too, so be aware if you like to dine out all the time.

There is no better place for motorcycling. The roads are breathtaking, and the weather is cool enough to allow you to wear good protective gear if you want to.

Golf is kind of outrageous, because there's too many people. The fishing is decent, despite all the people.

If you are considering the rural part of the state, you might also consider Vermont. Its the same kind of thing, but ***MORE***. Steeper hills, more trees, etc.

There is a lot of history in New England, so you can ejoy exploring all that. Being close to Boston gives you access to world-class healthcare if you can afford it.

Dh lived in NH, I lived on the MA side of the border. After comparing prices, taxes and services we decided to sell his house and live in MA. When we met my prop taxes were double his, when he sold his house to move in with me (10 years later) his were twice mine, he was glad to get out.

Other than the sneaky taxes it's a nice place, very Yankee up north, like the others said in the south it's very busy. I love riding the roads up there but you have to watch out for uninsured motorists, all 4 seasons are a big plus, yep there are bugs but they go away in the winter so they never get to grow to gargantuan sizes like in southern states. The lakes region is beautiful and starting this weekend will be inundated with bikers for Laconia Bike Week (dh will be there at some point). The further north you go the more you get into wilderness, it's nice but watch out for moose and deer.

If I didn't like living where I was I probably would move there once I retire.

We're MA trans-plants to NH.

Would just add that every winter we get a 2 week stay-in-the-house cold blast.

Very similar to the FL/TX August stay-in-the-house heat blast.

Two weeks of so cold you have to stay in the house? Jeez!
Astro DO NOT tell them how awesome it is here in SC--everyone would move immediately and cause worse traffic than the cult church! :D
Sarah

Anything below about -20F is "staying in the house" weather. Fortunately, that does not last too long in most places in the northern states.

tryan said:
Very similar to the FL/TX August stay-in-the-house heat blast.

Huh? It's hot, alright, but heck - we eat outside year round including August. Shorts and t-shirts, get the fan gpong in the lanai (covered patio for you foreigners). Take a dip in the pool if you work up a sweat. I jog in the early evening. Go inside mostly to sleep or do chores. Watch my bamboo grow about 6" a day, plumeria flowers between the hibiscus bushes. No stay-in month for me.

As a Wisconsin to Tucson survivor, I can tell you that it takes about 2 weeks to adjust to the heat and you have to dress and plan accordingly. But mostly it just becomes invisible and the entire outside is part of your daily life all year long.

Oops -- didn't mean to gloat, and there are lots of things besides weather which make for a great place to live. But I must admit, having lived both ways, that we ain't going back to Cheesehead country except to visit the grandkids.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Huh? It's hot, alright, but heck - we eat outside year round including August. Shorts and t-shirts, get the fan gpong in the lanai (covered patio for you foreigners). Take a dip in the pool if you work up a sweat. I jog in the early evening. Go inside mostly to sleep or do chores. Watch my bamboo grow about 6" a day, plumeria flowers between the hibiscus bushes. No stay-in month for me.

As a Wisconsin to Tucson survivor, I can tell you that it takes about 2 weeks to adjust to the heat and you have to dress and plan accordingly. But mostly it just becomes invisible and the entire outside is part of your daily life all year long.

We pretty much feel the same about St. Auggie. Took me an hour or so to get used to the heat and I am/was used to SoCAL for 15 Years and Toronto for 6. 2 extremes. I do not wear a shirt at all most days (unless I have to go out in public and then it is a "T" or "Golf" style) and in all honesty I cannot remember when I wore long pants last. I think it was when I visited Toronto last.

Housing seems to be coming down in the (what I like to refer to as) the NorthEast MicroClimate Corridor. From Pointe Vedra to Titusville. We are still renting, just waiting for the right buying opportunity, seems all homes are reduced lately and there are 2500 available on any given day. Even the realtors around here have finally conceded and are promoting a buyer's market, took em' a while, but they are getting the message.

Rich, how are Tampa home prices lately? I looked a few months ago and they seemed quite stable. Although one seems to get a lot more for the money on that coast (North West) or is it simply my perception and not really knowing the market?

I say NE uCimate corridor because it seems that we are a few degrees lower than everyone else in the summer, and we certaily seem to get less rain. The big whirly winds main fury seem to bypass us, we get outer band stuff but not the main brute force. (I looked at the historical weather patterns before we moved here) Most modern homes are concrete block and certified to 140 odd mph winds.

When it is just storming down in JAX, we are all sunny and bright. White puffy Caribbean style clouds etc. Please do not get me wrong, we get our fair share of rain in the season, (July - November) but it all seems to come in the afternoons for about an hour. Then all is fine and dandy and fresh again. We have only been here a year though, so we may be experiencing a somewhat unique environment, but it is most tollerable.

The best part is the traffic and concentration of people is very managable. Very rarely does one spend time stopped in traffic. We like to drive around looking at potential home sites and do so mosly at the weekends, driving from Pointe Vedra to Palm Coast and sometimes Daytona Beach. The only time there was a serious traffic issue was during the last Bike week. Then we stayed at home. So the NH folks stay at home during -21 degrees of cold, we stay at home during bike week. Regardless of the traffic, there are so many idiots out there trying to kill themselves during bike week, it is far more satisfying to stay at home and watch the mess on TV. I am certainly not implying that all bikers are idiots, but there are some in every demographic. Bike week brings out their fair share too. So we all have a similar time of year to deal with in one way or another. Never too hot here to go out though.

In addition we are about 40 - 50 minuted from JAX and a very easy no traffic drive till you hit the south side. I do it occasionally to go to the Airport and Costco.

SWR

mclesters said:
Two weeks of so cold you have to stay in the house? Jeez!
Astro DO NOT tell them how awesome it is here in SC--everyone would move immediately and cause worse traffic than the cult church! :D
Sarah
About SC: high st. income taxes, also, high taxes on automobiles,
high humidity in the summers, beautiful in spring when the azaleas and dogwoods are blooming, Charleston and the barrier islands are expensive. Lived there for 2.5 years; could not go back.

ShokWaveRider said:
Most modern homes are concrete block and certified to 140 odd mpg winds.

Dang, those are some fuel-efficient winds! ;)

-20 isn't necessarily all that bad -- it depends a lot on how humid or dry it is out, and how strong the wind is. I've been in -40 (C/F) that didn't feel so bad, and I've heard that in parts of the prairies the numbers go down to almost unbelievable levels but it doesn't feel much worse than Eastern cold weather.

It's still not my idea of a good time, but I think it's more a week (or in my case, a half-year) where you don't want to go outside at all, than a period where you practically can't go outside.

bennevis said:
About SC: high st. income taxes, also, high taxes on automobiles,
high humidity in the summers, beautiful in spring when the azaleas and dogwoods are blooming, Charleston and the barrier islands are expensive. Lived there for 2.5 years; could not go back.

Like Rich, I enjoy my porch (we have screens, so technically not a lanai?) Feb to November. Time of day changes--in July & August, most likely morning (porch faces South). In Feb-Mar and Nov, mostly afternoons. In Apr-Jun and Sep-Oct, all day is great most days. I think the humidity is beneficial for my complexion ;) And we can always cool off in summer at the beach, there's almost always an onshore breeze. The winter seems long to me (yes, really--same was true in the Bay Area)--this December we're planning to explore Florida.

Charleston seems cheap when you moved from San Francisco :LOL: But properties close to the ocean or in an arty/happenin' city are expensive everywhere. Our prop taxes are far cheaper than in CA, as are restuarants, services, most kinds of insurance. Not as cheap as flyover-land, though.

Cool Dood said:
-20 isn't necessarily all that bad -- it depends a lot on how humid or dry it is out, and how strong the wind is. I've been in -40 (C/F) that didn't feel so bad, and I've heard that in parts of the prairies the numbers go down to almost unbelievable levels but it doesn't feel much worse than Eastern cold weather.

It's still not my idea of a good time, but I think it's more a week (or in my case, a half-year) where you don't want to go outside at all, than a period where you practically can't go outside.

You are all menly men is all I have to say. Around here I start wearing heavy jackets at anything below +40, and the few times it has gone down to the teens while I was hunting, I had five layers of insulated clothes on (and my teeth still chattered).

Leonidas said:
and the few times it has gone down to the teens
I just won't go there. I can't even stand it when the weather gets down into the 60s, let alone the couple days a year in the 50s.

Winter surf... mid-70s... I just stand in ankle-deep water sniveling for about five minutes before I go in. I'd wear a shortie but the rest of the lineup would make fun of me!

Nords said:
I just won't go there. I can't even stand it when the weather gets down into the 60s, let alone the couple days a year in the 50s.

Winter surf... mid-70s... I just stand in ankle-deep water sniveling for about five minutes before I go in. I'd wear a shortie but the rest of the lineup would make fun of me!

Jeez, your water must be warmer than most heated pools!

Nords, do you go surfing with younger guys? Do you ever feel like that Steve Martin character in the SNL skit? "Totally tubular!" ;)

Leonidas said:
You are all menly men is all I have to say. Around here I start wearing heavy jackets at anything below +40, and the few times it has gone down to the teens while I was hunting, I had five layers of insulated clothes on (and my teeth still chattered).

Yes, I think it's very important to be a manly man. ;) But I'd gladly be as effeminate as possible in exchange for year-round warm weather.

There are days as the winter's wearing off when you almost shout out in joy at the extremely warm weather, and it's still below freezing. Egads.

this whole thread is amusing to me. :D

I arrived in Kotzebue, Alaska for the construction season on May 1. Last weekend it snowed. The ice only broke up on the ocean Memorial Day weekend.

40F is balmy....

Cool Dood said:
Jeez, your water must be warmer than most heated pools!
Nords, do you go surfing with younger guys? Do you ever feel like that Steve Martin character in the SNL skit? "Totally tubular!" ;)
Well, around here a "heated pool" is in the low 80s. Anything under 75 is a harsh contrast and some of those older aquarobics customers might complain to the management.

Where do you think Steve got the idea for the skit?!? School's out now, so most of the surfers are teens or parents teaching younger kids. We older guys are still out there enjoying the incredible bikini-clad high-school hardbodies perfecting our laid-back style among the rippers & shredders, but we're in the definite minority. Things will improve in September. Tuesday mornings will be back to the shiftworkers, part-timers, ERs, & unemployed, and the median age will return to the 40s.

Yeah, we have a couple regulars in their 60s and one who's at least in his 70s. It's hard to tell with some of the ol' stoners veteran longboarders.

I live in Southwestern NH in the Peterborough ("Our Town") area. Called the "Quiet Corner" or the Currier & Ives section of NH. Very pretty and still rural. Only one traffic light in Peterborough yet it has a lot of culture. A lot of outdoor activities- hiking, kayaking, fishing, biking, etc. All within minutes of your house. The growing season is short - two weeks off Mass on both ends. The natives think the winters are bad here but no where near bad as upstate NY where I grew up

Based on this thread, I think Nords has the right idea more than anyone who's living in New Hampshire. ;) It does seem like a nice place, but boy, you need a lot of extra niceness to overcome the difference in climate!

Back
Top Bottom