Join Early Retirement Today

Re: New Hampshire
Old 06-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
You are all menly men is all I have to say. Around here I start wearing heavy jackets at anything below +40, and the few times it has gone down to the teens while I was hunting, I had five layers of insulated clothes on (and my teeth still chattered).
Yes, I think it's very important to be a manly man. But I'd gladly be as effeminate as possible in exchange for year-round warm weather.

There are days as the winter's wearing off when you almost shout out in joy at the extremely warm weather, and it's still below freezing. Egads.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #22

this whole thread is amusing to me.

I arrived in Kotzebue, Alaska for the construction season on May 1. Last weekend it snowed. The ice only broke up on the ocean Memorial Day weekend.

40F is balmy....

Old 06-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
Jeez, your water must be warmer than most heated pools!
Nords, do you go surfing with younger guys? Do you ever feel like that Steve Martin character in the SNL skit? "Totally tubular!"
Well, around here a "heated pool" is in the low 80s. Anything under 75 is a harsh contrast and some of those older aquarobics customers might complain to the management.

Where do you think Steve got the idea for the skit?!? School's out now, so most of the surfers are teens or parents teaching younger kids. We older guys are still out there enjoying the incredible bikini-clad high-school hardbodies perfecting our laid-back style among the rippers & shredders, but we're in the definite minority. Things will improve in September. Tuesday mornings will be back to the shiftworkers, part-timers, ERs, & unemployed, and the median age will return to the 40s.

Yeah, we have a couple regulars in their 60s and one who's at least in his 70s. It's hard to tell with some of the ol' stoners veteran longboarders.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in Southwestern NH in the Peterborough ("Our Town") area. Called the "Quiet Corner" or the Currier & Ives section of NH. Very pretty and still rural. Only one traffic light in Peterborough yet it has a lot of culture. A lot of outdoor activities- hiking, kayaking, fishing, biking, etc. All within minutes of your house. The growing season is short - two weeks off Mass on both ends. The natives think the winters are bad here but no where near bad as upstate NY where I grew up
Old 06-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #25

Based on this thread, I think Nords has the right idea more than anyone who's living in New Hampshire. It does seem like a nice place, but boy, you need a lot of extra niceness to overcome the difference in climate!