One Year Retired

poboy

Recycles dryer sheets
March 1, my new birthday. One year ago today hung it up, really enjoying the art of doing nothing. Old cohorts keep in touch and it reminds me how thankful I am: no voicemail, no corp. email, no conference calls, no meetings with "where we were, where we are, and where we're gonna be" speeches. Several trips to Mexico and Guatemala; many trips to golf course. Youngest son and his wife had a little girl last week. Life is good.

And see, the first year is the hard one. That's over. The elevator just keeps going up from now on. Congrats.

So I think it sounds as if your have no regrets and don't sit around all day wondering what you should do. Congratulations, it's always good to hear from someone who made it.

DangerMouse said:
So I think it sounds as if your have no regrets and don't sit around all day wondering what you should do. Congratulations, it's always good to hear from someone who made it.

You sure your not bored? :LOL:

Do I ever hear you! I retired March 3 and here we are already a year down the line. I don't like it; I LOVE it! Add rediculous, pointless training to the list of things that I do not miss at all. I'd tell you what I do like, but I don't have time or space. It's great being busy with things you actually want to do!
setab

setab said:
Add rediculous, pointless training to the list of things that I do not miss at all.

Good for you. I have just completed my training plan to be completed by May this year. There are at least 20 Standard Operating procedures that I need to complete - bummer.

Those who are not sports fans may not appreciate this but college sports are the real deal here in the south. We have had season tickets for Auburn football and basketball for many years and now are able to travel to all the football games. Wife and I both enjoy our road trips and usually go on a Thursday to do the tourist thing before the Sat. game. LSU on a Saturday night is a unique experience. Follow that with basketball and our fall and winter plans are done. Back to Antigua, Guatemala to visit our son in the spring, Charleston in the summer to visit some family and all of a sudden its football time. Best part is I don't have to worry about taking vacation , because every day is one.

Congrats Poboy! I am about 8 months into my escape. Is there anything you miss while "carrying a bag" and detailing?

Congratulations! I'm 6 years ahead of you, retired March 1, 2000. It just keeps getting better!

Congratulations!

I'm on ER year #2. Since I left the corporate rat-race, I've taken up golf and attended a few classes at the community college.

Since I am still young, I vowed to keep my health in good shape so I now excercise for an hour each morning. I never had time to do that when I worked - ha ha!

poboy said:
Those who are not sports fans may not appreciate this but college sports are the real deal here in the south. We have had season tickets for Auburn football and basketball for many years and now are able to travel to all the football games. Wife and I both enjoy our road trips and usually go on a Thursday to do the tourist thing before the Sat. game. LSU on a Saturday night is a unique experience. Follow that with basketball and our fall and winter plans are done. Back to Antigua, Guatemala to visit our son in the spring, Charleston in the summer to visit some family and all of a sudden its football time. Best part is I don't have to worry about taking vacation , because every day is one.

I understand. Love to go to college football games although my school(Miss State) sucks. :'(

poboy said:
March 1, my new birthday. One year ago today hung it up, really enjoying the art of doing nothing. Old cohorts keep in touch and it reminds me how thankful I am: no voicemail, no corp. email, no conference calls, no meetings with "where we were, where we are, and where we're gonna be" speeches. Several trips to Mexico and Guatemala; many trips to golf course. Youngest son and his wife had a little girl last week. Life is good.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I can hardly wait until I retire and can make a post such as yours.

Spanky said:
Good for you. I have just completed my training plan to be completed by May this year. There are at least 20 Standard Operating procedures that I need to complete - bummer.

Ugh!!! That sounds so tedious.

Speaking of tedious, I have an entire week of training coming up that is simply a "refresher" of prior training. I will be soooo glad to be done with it.

poboy, I'm always happy to hear another success story. Congratulations!

It's interesting you refer to your FIRE date as your new birthday. I actually retired originally on my birthday. I did some consulting and worked part-time off and on for three more years, but I think of my retirement date as my birthday. :D

Congratulations!! I'm just starting my sixth month of retirement and I've enjoyed every single day; DH had his first anniversary on the 28th.

Poboy, congrats on the one year anniversary.

I agree with you on the college sports. No better bang for the buck in my opinion. I spend 7 or 8 saturdays per year walking to Jordan-Hare for the game, and the other sports are great too. Basektball team was much improved this season. I go to several of the games in Beard-Eaves. I guess you know about plans to build a new basketball arena. Come fall, you should come tailgate with me and the wife.

Back
Top Bottom