Personal style

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've been ERed since January 2007. Slowly, my personal style has changed. I used to have a hairstyle which required frequent coloring, cuts and a daily routine of blow-drying plus a regiment of styling products to keep it looking "professional". My natural wave was something I battled. I now wear my hair longer and have grown out the bangs so it's all one length - just above the shoulders. I still color but use a shade closer to my natural color (light brown) so I can go longer between coloring. I’m not ready for the grey hair look. Looks great on some people, but I'm not one of them. This style actually looks pretty good if I let it dry naturally which has been a big bonus during the recent hot weather.

In addition, I now wear very little makeup. I used to wear a lot but now it's just a touch for most days and the full workup only when I get dressed up (a rare occasion these days). Naturally, my wardrobe is much more casual too.

My look has evolved into something I'm comfortable with and, IMO, reflects who I am instead of what someone in my former (very conservative) profession should look like. It's still important for me to look as good as I can so I watch my weight and look for flattering clothes, even if they are very casual.

I didn't realize how much this all added up until yesterday when I met a former co-worker for lunch. The first words she said were "you look great and seem so relaxed". That made me feel good since I sometimes look at professional women and think I don't measure up anymore. DH loves my more natural look so that helps too. But hey, he always preferred the flannel shirt and jeans look over the Evan Picone suits.

So, has your "personal style" changed since retirement? If it has changed, is it an outward expression of an inner change or simply a reflection of your true self? Or perhaps something else entirely….

Before and After ER styles Illustrated

before ER:

AndrewFezzaDeluxeTwoButtonTuxedo1.jpg

and after ER:
(note the subtle differences)

slob1.jpg

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Uh, perhaps you should have kept w*rking:D

Before: Shoes, shirt, socks, belt, shower before going to work. Hair sorta blond.

After: Flip flops, shorts, T shirt, shower once a month--Just kidding- at least once a week! Hair genuine silver. Or so DW says.

What is this hair coloring, an'makeup stuff?

I've been ERed since January 2007. Slowly, my personal style has changed. I used to have a hairstyle which required frequent coloring, cuts and a daily routine of blow-drying plus a regiment of styling products to keep it looking "professional". My natural wave was something I battled. I now wear my hair longer and have grown out the bangs so it's all one length - just above the shoulders. I still color but use a shade closer to my natural color (light brown) so I can go longer between coloring. I’m not ready for the grey hair look. Looks great on some people, but I'm not one of them. This style actually looks pretty good if I let it dry naturally which has been a big bonus during the recent hot weather.

In addition, I now wear very little makeup. I used to wear a lot but now it's just a touch for most days and the full workup only when I get dressed up (a rare occasion these days). Naturally, my wardrobe is much more casual too.

My look has evolved into something I'm comfortable with and, IMO, reflects who I am instead of what someone in my former (very conservative) profession should look like. It's still important for me to look as good as I can so I watch my weight and look for flattering clothes, even if they are very casual.

I didn't realize how much this all added up until yesterday when I met a former co-worker for lunch. The first words she said were "you look great and seem so relaxed". That made me feel good since I sometimes look at professional women and think I don't measure up anymore. DH loves my more natural look so that helps too. But hey, he always preferred the flannel shirt and jeans look over the Evan Picone suits.

So, has your "personal style" changed since retirement? If it has changed, is it an outward expression of an inner change or simply a reflection of your true self? Or perhaps something else entirely….
My personal style has been going more casual (i.e. going downhill) ever since I was about 30. At work, clothes became gradually more and more casual until it was acceptable to even wear shorts and T-shirt to work! By then I had completely gave up on high heeled shoes anyway and rarely wore skirts unless on business travel (and even then - not so often).

My husband didn't care at all for makeup or permed/styled hair (he's been known to scream when a heavily made-up woman appears on TV), so at some point I went all natural, let my hair grow long and straight. Haven't worn makeup for decades.

Upon retiring we started wearing "outdoor clothes" all the time - nylon pants, T-shirts or nylon shirts, tevas, hiking boots, trainer shoes. I got rid of all my suits, and all but a very few dresses and a couple pairs of dressy shoes.

The RV required cutting down wardrobe even further and also simplifying hair. I had to cut my butt-length long hair to just below shoulder length (for practical showering). Stopped any color touchups. DH started wearing whiskers - he only needs to trim things now once a week or so. Now he really "looks" like an outdoor nature photographer.

My attitude towards nice clothes is "meh". I'm interesting in functionality and comfort and flexibility/multipurpose use. I love the nylon clothing. It's not cheap but it is so comfortable, packs very tight, and lasts a very long time.

Audrey

I'm not retired but if my week-end wear is any indication, it will be jeans, T-shirts, sandals and sneakers for me in retirement. My workplace is mostly casual...some women still wear dresses and suits once in awhile(I do, too, on rare occasion) but I am mostly in khakis, a sweater or blouse and loafers in the office. I don't know about giving up the highlights and some light daily make-up...I might scare myself!

Not many changes for me, so far.

(1) I tried growing out my hair but didn't like it, so it is shorter than ever.
(2) I wear shorts in the summer instead of long pants (shorts were not allowed at work).
(3) I am carrying a colorful flowery tote bag this summer instead of the neutral beige faux leather purse I carried before ER.
(4) I wear my sunglasses a lot now.

Wow, when I read all that, it sounds like I have started to dress like a stereotypical Waikiki tourist!! :LOL: How awful! :D I even carry my camera with me a lot. I guess the changes sneaked up on me.

Navy whites to ponytailed surf bum? Yeah, been a few changes.

Attachments

• Nords awards.JPG
    Nords awards.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 15
  • White Plains Beach with Diamondhead.JPG
    White Plains Beach with Diamondhead.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 13
  • The Retirement Morph.jpg
    The Retirement Morph.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 14
Before: Slacks and sweater sets and the occasional skirt and jacket in the winter---dresses and slacks/nice blouse in the summer

Now: Jeans and sweatshirts in the winter----shorts and tee shirts in the summer. However, I do find that I enjoy the occasional dress up occasion---we went to a wedding recently and it was fun to dress up for it since most days are shorts/ tee shirts.

Hair same as always---I never had the patience to do a lot with it---a casual shoulder length style.

Good topic.

I got my hair chemically straightened throughout my 30's, because people at work made cracks about my "messy" naturally curly hair, that gets very bushy in the summer heat. After 10 years of enduring this horrible chemical process, I looked around me, and half the bozos who'd made cracks didn't even have hair any more. Even the women's hair was thinning! So I decided to be grateful for what God gave me, and let my hair do its thing, from that moment on. I keep it clean, get a good haircut, and touch up the color as it goes gray.

Indeed, this is getting to be my attitude about pretty much everything. Take the best possible care of what God gave me, and cheerfully ignore criticism. I can only see this attitude intensifying with retirement.

Amethyst

Since I worked in scrubs most of my life I had to create an everyday wardrobe . I go for pants or Capri's with silky tees and ballet flats . My hair was always pretty casual so now I have it cropped in a short style . I still color it . I have an older sister and there is no way I am going gray first . I do wear make up . A light base with sunscreen , mascara and lipstick . So looking back I guess my life has evolved my look not so much .

O woman friend visited me yesterday. She is really pretty, and was dressed in black shirtwaist dress and taupe stackheels. She wanted to change into jeans and a shirt to walk around the 'hood. I asked her to please keep her dress on, even if she had to switch to flats, because when people see me with her my stock in the neighborhood really goes up.

My dress code has deteriorated for sure, but people do notice and do treat you differently when you are well dressed (or the woman with you is well dressed.)

Ha

My dress code has deteriorated for sure, but people do notice and do treat you differently when you are well dressed (or the woman with you is well dressed.)

Ha

Well, not always. Seems more and more like the really successful people dress casually and suits are more for people who are trying to sell something to the really successful people.

I do make a special effort to dress up and look nice when I step out with DH for social occassions. He doesn't expect it but does appreciate it.

I do make a special effort to dress up and look nice when I step out with DH for social occassions. He doesn't expect it but does appreciate it.
I am sure he does. Not only does he have the pleasure of seeing you look great, but also the pride of having a great looking woman on his arm. If I were Dear Abby I would suggest to all women who don't have their men over a barrel, try to look pretty. It may be sexist, but it is biologically accurate. I think men never get so old that they don't think about women much of the time.

Ha

I think men never get so old that they don't think about women much of the time.

Ha

Well you won't for sure Ha;)

My part-time gig really brings out the contrast for me.

Working (2 days a week):
- When seeing patients: tie and work casual pants, white lab coat
- When no patients, no tie

Not working:
- shorts, sandals, t-shirt or golf type shirt
- not unusual this time of year to put on a bathing suit in the morning and not change all day; lie out by the pool; read, nap, get wet, repeat.

I let the beard grow around when I announced my ESR, grayer than last time for some odd reason.

I also noticed that people often remark on how relaxed I look, but I'm never quite sure what they really mean.

Oh yeah - occasional nights in the summer: lights out around the pool, nothing on but a soft glow from the last glass of wine. I rarely do that at work. ;)

I let the beard grow around when I announced my ESR, grayer than last time for some odd reason.

Oh yeah - occasional nights in the summer: lights out around the pool, nothing on but a soft glow from the last glass of wine. I rarely do that at work. ;)
:cool:

Hmmmm...what were we talking about? :blink:

Style, you know, what you're wearing these days, like Purron said. Maybe that's not exactly what she had in mind?
Yeah....ummmm....my personal style can not be discussed on this forum...or any other forum for that matter. :LOL:

:-X

I was just working on my ER budget (AGAIN) yesterday...clothing was the topic. My list included jeans, shorts, tee shirts, flannel shirts, running shorts and shirts, running shoes, flip flops, all of that with one set on sunday-go-to-meetin' clothes that will probably be replaced once in 10 years after the last of my business clothing wears out. Oh, and yes, the pair of swim shorts that get put on in the morning, and worn all day as Rich mentioned (read, relax, rinse, repeat...)

As I was reflecting on this, I realized that these are the same types of clothes I wear when on vacation, every day.

I just came back from vacation, but seems like I'm ready for one that lasts permanently.:blush:

R

I have always been fashion-impaired, and now I am even more so.

Still a few years to go, but I'm already starting to make the transition:

1. in a firm which does not allow dress casual, I have unilaterally declared dress code independence by dropping down to smart casual (keeping a suit in the office for when I meet clients or management is in town)

2. I have just ordered what I hope will be my last business suit (as always, taking two pairs of trousers as they always wear out before the jackets do)

I don't think it will take much effort to make the change. Just back from a week's holiday in Phuket and thinking that it should have been longer.....about twenty years longer....

2 days a week I work in the office - dress pants, dress shirt, no tie.
1 day a week - work - site visit- jeans, t shirt or sweatshirt
off days - shorts, t shirt, sandals/running shoes when its hot
jeans, sweatshirt, hiking boots when its cold

When not working, I cut down shaving to about once every 4 days. No change in haircut

Back
Top Bottom