Join Early Retirement Today

Personal style
Old 08-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Personal style

I've been ERed since January 2007. Slowly, my personal style has changed. I used to have a hairstyle which required frequent coloring, cuts and a daily routine of blow-drying plus a regiment of styling products to keep it looking "professional". My natural wave was something I battled. I now wear my hair longer and have grown out the bangs so it's all one length - just above the shoulders. I still color but use a shade closer to my natural color (light brown) so I can go longer between coloring. I’m not ready for the grey hair look. Looks great on some people, but I'm not one of them. This style actually looks pretty good if I let it dry naturally which has been a big bonus during the recent hot weather.

In addition, I now wear very little makeup. I used to wear a lot but now it's just a touch for most days and the full workup only when I get dressed up (a rare occasion these days). Naturally, my wardrobe is much more casual too.

My look has evolved into something I'm comfortable with and, IMO, reflects who I am instead of what someone in my former (very conservative) profession should look like. It's still important for me to look as good as I can so I watch my weight and look for flattering clothes, even if they are very casual.

I didn't realize how much this all added up until yesterday when I met a former co-worker for lunch. The first words she said were "you look great and seem so relaxed". That made me feel good since I sometimes look at professional women and think I don't measure up anymore. DH loves my more natural look so that helps too. But hey, he always preferred the flannel shirt and jeans look over the Evan Picone suits.

So, has your "personal style" changed since retirement? If it has changed, is it an outward expression of an inner change or simply a reflection of your true self? Or perhaps something else entirely….

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Before and After ER styles Illustrated
Old 08-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Before and After ER styles Illustrated

before ER:

and after ER:
(note the subtle differences)

Old 08-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Uh, perhaps you should have kept w*rking
Old 08-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #4

Before: Shoes, shirt, socks, belt, shower before going to work. Hair sorta blond.

After: Flip flops, shorts, T shirt, shower once a month--Just kidding- at least once a week! Hair genuine silver. Or so DW says.

What is this hair coloring, an'makeup stuff?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I've been ERed since January 2007. Slowly, my personal style has changed. I used to have a hairstyle which required frequent coloring, cuts and a daily routine of blow-drying plus a regiment of styling products to keep it looking "professional". My natural wave was something I battled. I now wear my hair longer and have grown out the bangs so it's all one length - just above the shoulders. I still color but use a shade closer to my natural color (light brown) so I can go longer between coloring. I’m not ready for the grey hair look. Looks great on some people, but I'm not one of them. This style actually looks pretty good if I let it dry naturally which has been a big bonus during the recent hot weather.

In addition, I now wear very little makeup. I used to wear a lot but now it's just a touch for most days and the full workup only when I get dressed up (a rare occasion these days). Naturally, my wardrobe is much more casual too.

My look has evolved into something I'm comfortable with and, IMO, reflects who I am instead of what someone in my former (very conservative) profession should look like. It's still important for me to look as good as I can so I watch my weight and look for flattering clothes, even if they are very casual.

I didn't realize how much this all added up until yesterday when I met a former co-worker for lunch. The first words she said were "you look great and seem so relaxed". That made me feel good since I sometimes look at professional women and think I don't measure up anymore. DH loves my more natural look so that helps too. But hey, he always preferred the flannel shirt and jeans look over the Evan Picone suits.

So, has your "personal style" changed since retirement? If it has changed, is it an outward expression of an inner change or simply a reflection of your true self? Or perhaps something else entirely….
My personal style has been going more casual (i.e. going downhill) ever since I was about 30. At work, clothes became gradually more and more casual until it was acceptable to even wear shorts and T-shirt to work! By then I had completely gave up on high heeled shoes anyway and rarely wore skirts unless on business travel (and even then - not so often).

My husband didn't care at all for makeup or permed/styled hair (he's been known to scream when a heavily made-up woman appears on TV), so at some point I went all natural, let my hair grow long and straight. Haven't worn makeup for decades.

Upon retiring we started wearing "outdoor clothes" all the time - nylon pants, T-shirts or nylon shirts, tevas, hiking boots, trainer shoes. I got rid of all my suits, and all but a very few dresses and a couple pairs of dressy shoes.

The RV required cutting down wardrobe even further and also simplifying hair. I had to cut my butt-length long hair to just below shoulder length (for practical showering). Stopped any color touchups. DH started wearing whiskers - he only needs to trim things now once a week or so. Now he really "looks" like an outdoor nature photographer.

My attitude towards nice clothes is "meh". I'm interesting in functionality and comfort and flexibility/multipurpose use. I love the nylon clothing. It's not cheap but it is so comfortable, packs very tight, and lasts a very long time.

Audrey
Old 08-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #6

I'm not retired but if my week-end wear is any indication, it will be jeans, T-shirts, sandals and sneakers for me in retirement. My workplace is mostly casual...some women still wear dresses and suits once in awhile(I do, too, on rare occasion) but I am mostly in khakis, a sweater or blouse and loafers in the office. I don't know about giving up the highlights and some light daily make-up...I might scare myself!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Administrator

Not many changes for me, so far.

(1) I tried growing out my hair but didn't like it, so it is shorter than ever.
(2) I wear shorts in the summer instead of long pants (shorts were not allowed at work).
(3) I am carrying a colorful flowery tote bag this summer instead of the neutral beige faux leather purse I carried before ER.
(4) I wear my sunglasses a lot now.

Wow, when I read all that, it sounds like I have started to dress like a stereotypical Waikiki tourist!! How awful! I even carry my camera with me a lot. I guess the changes sneaked up on me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Navy whites to ponytailed surf bum? Yeah, been a few changes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nords awards.JPG (143.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg White Plains Beach with Diamondhead.JPG (15.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg The Retirement Morph.jpg (69.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Nords - did they do that cartoon just for you? LOL!

Audrey
Old 08-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Before: Slacks and sweater sets and the occasional skirt and jacket in the winter---dresses and slacks/nice blouse in the summer

Now: Jeans and sweatshirts in the winter----shorts and tee shirts in the summer. However, I do find that I enjoy the occasional dress up occasion---we went to a wedding recently and it was fun to dress up for it since most days are shorts/ tee shirts.

Hair same as always---I never had the patience to do a lot with it---a casual shoulder length style.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Good topic.

I got my hair chemically straightened throughout my 30's, because people at work made cracks about my "messy" naturally curly hair, that gets very bushy in the summer heat. After 10 years of enduring this horrible chemical process, I looked around me, and half the bozos who'd made cracks didn't even have hair any more. Even the women's hair was thinning! So I decided to be grateful for what God gave me, and let my hair do its thing, from that moment on. I keep it clean, get a good haircut, and touch up the color as it goes gray.

Indeed, this is getting to be my attitude about pretty much everything. Take the best possible care of what God gave me, and cheerfully ignore criticism. I can only see this attitude intensifying with retirement.

Amethyst
Old 08-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Since I worked in scrubs most of my life I had to create an everyday wardrobe . I go for pants or Capri's with silky tees and ballet flats . My hair was always pretty casual so now I have it cropped in a short style . I still color it . I have an older sister and there is no way I am going gray first . I do wear make up . A light base with sunscreen , mascara and lipstick . So looking back I guess my life has evolved my look not so much .
Old 08-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

O woman friend visited me yesterday. She is really pretty, and was dressed in black shirtwaist dress and taupe stackheels. She wanted to change into jeans and a shirt to walk around the 'hood. I asked her to please keep her dress on, even if she had to switch to flats, because when people see me with her my stock in the neighborhood really goes up.

My dress code has deteriorated for sure, but people do notice and do treat you differently when you are well dressed (or the woman with you is well dressed.)

Ha
Old 08-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
My dress code has deteriorated for sure, but people do notice and do treat you differently when you are well dressed (or the woman with you is well dressed.)

Ha
Well, not always. Seems more and more like the really successful people dress casually and suits are more for people who are trying to sell something to the really successful people.

I do make a special effort to dress up and look nice when I step out with DH for social occassions. He doesn't expect it but does appreciate it.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I do make a special effort to dress up and look nice when I step out with DH for social occassions. He doesn't expect it but does appreciate it.
I am sure he does. Not only does he have the pleasure of seeing you look great, but also the pride of having a great looking woman on his arm. If I were Dear Abby I would suggest to all women who don't have their men over a barrel, try to look pretty. It may be sexist, but it is biologically accurate. I think men never get so old that they don't think about women much of the time.

Ha
Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think men never get so old that they don't think about women much of the time.

Ha
Well you won't for sure Ha
Old 08-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

My part-time gig really brings out the contrast for me.

Working (2 days a week):
- When seeing patients: tie and work casual pants, white lab coat
- When no patients, no tie

Not working:
- shorts, sandals, t-shirt or golf type shirt
- not unusual this time of year to put on a bathing suit in the morning and not change all day; lie out by the pool; read, nap, get wet, repeat.

I let the beard grow around when I announced my ESR, grayer than last time for some odd reason.

I also noticed that people often remark on how relaxed I look, but I'm never quite sure what they really mean.

Oh yeah - occasional nights in the summer: lights out around the pool, nothing on but a soft glow from the last glass of wine. I rarely do that at work.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I let the beard grow around when I announced my ESR, grayer than last time for some odd reason.

Oh yeah - occasional nights in the summer: lights out around the pool, nothing on but a soft glow from the last glass of wine. I rarely do that at work.

Hmmmm...what were we talking about?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Hmmmm...what were we talking about?
Style, you know, what you're wearing these days, like Purron said. Maybe that's not exactly what she had in mind?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Style, you know, what you're wearing these days, like Purron said. Maybe that's not exactly what she had in mind?
Yeah....ummmm....my personal style can not be discussed on this forum...or any other forum for that matter.