Resigning today!

The next 2 weeks should be quite entertaining. No one at work knows I am planning this. At ALL. And, while there's no good time to do this (for them) - this will be a really bad time. I've documented all my projects and procedures but they are terribly understaffed so it will be ugly. But I want the summer to be free and there is a lot of additional work coming my way in the next year that would only increase my workload. So I'm out. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

...and don't let them pressure you into working overtime your last 2 weeks because they're scrambling around trying to figure out what to do when you're gone. I had one job where I had a few days left and they expected me to work overtime. I DON'T THINK SO! And I told them that.

Congrats and good luck!

...(snip)...
Thanks so much - yesterday was very stressful - I can be very manipulative when I need to be but I prefer to be open and direct - in this case, not a good choice. My real reasons :mad: :mad: :mad: are best not expressed at work.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Congratulations thinker25! I imagine the next few weeks will be somewhat stressful for you but then there is the rest of your life (no jumping up and down smiley face I can find :)) . I also imagine that the best policy is to leave with a smile and well wishes to everyone. Their going to need it.

I just sneaked a look at my work email and my boss is shocked, sad to lose me, etc. and we'll talk Monday.

Translation: "It is going to cost more for me to hire and train someone else to do your job, than it would cost if you stayed. Maybe I can wheedle a few more days out of you. And if that doesn't work, I want to see if I can bully you into staying, or guilt you into staying."

thinker25 said:
So I guess I'll be working for the next 2 weeks and then NOT!

:dance: :dance: :clap: And you did it YOUR way, at a time you picked.

thinker25 said:
Thanks so much - yesterday was very stressful - I can be very manipulative when I need to be but I prefer to be open and direct - in this case, not a good choice. My real reasons :mad: :mad: :mad: are best not expressed at work.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That's right. Very seldom would it be a good idea to tell one's employer your real reasons for retiring early. Sometimes doing that creates unpleasant interactions and bad memories, and at any rate you have been considerate enough to give two weeks notice and beyond that, you don't owe anybody an explanation. Besides, it really makes no difference what you said once you are enjoying retirement - - those "endless days of play", as Goonie has called his retirement.

Reading your tale brought back recent memories of the day I gave my notice back on September 30, 2008. I gave my bosses a month's notice but then again I was working only 2 days a week so I would actually work only 9 more days.

My only real goal was to finish work on a large project I had been working on for nearly 2 years. I did not know if I would be able to complete it, but I barely got it done about 45 minutes before I left for good on my final day. And no overtime.

I was not a member of this forum at the time although they had website blockers so I would not have been able to post from there anyway.

That's right. Very seldom would it be a good idea to tell one's employer your real reasons for retiring early. Sometimes doing that creates unpleasant interactions and bad memories, and at any rate you have been considerate enough to give two weeks notice and beyond that, you don't owe anybody an explanation. Besides, it really makes no difference what you said once you are enjoying retirement - - those "endless days of play", as Goonie has called his retirement.

I requested an exit interview which I found rather cathartic. I made sure to balance out the good things I liked about working there for 23 years. But I made sure to tell them about the commute which was worsened after the company moved from Manhattan to New Jersey in 2001. And their policy about my losing eligibility for group health coverage when I reduced my hours. And how they ended open-ended telecommuting in 2003, something which worked well for me and my division. I was so burnt out from the commute that even if they offered me the telecommuting gig again (it required one trip per week to the office) along with group health, I would have turned it down anyway.

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement, and Happy Birthday this weekend!

I suspect your life is going to improve dramatically in the near future. :D It does take a while to shed the stress (not sure I am completely done even after 7 months). It's sort of like an onion - - you peel off one layer and discover more beneath. But, the process is quite enjoyable. :)

Thanks - I'm not surprised to hear that the stress will take a while. I HAVE been surprised at how stressful the last few days have been. Two more weeks. I can get through 2 weeks. Should be entertaining. And they'll be lucky if I work full-time. I'm exempt - not hourly - too bad... :whistle:

Translation: "It is going to cost more for me to hire and train someone else to do your job, than it would cost if you stayed. Maybe I can wheedle a few more days out of you. And if that doesn't work, I want to see if I can bully you into staying, or guilt you into staying."

LOL - not a chance of guilt tripping me into staying, but that's very amusing if she thinks that would work.

I am trying very hard not to say the many bad things that have happened lately. :mad: As someone said, it isn't a good idea and why bother, also... :LOL:

That's why men like to take on the chore and brag about it.

Arghh... The secret is out!
Yeah!

Once I figured out that steak was about the easiest thing to cook in the world, I got a big chuckle out of it, and promptly stopped ordering it in restaurants since mine come out so good.

I do have to give a lot of credit to the temperature sensor though.

Audrey

I sent the 2 weeks' notice on Friday and nothing has been said at work today. I wasn't marched out the door or anything, I'm just working. My boss hasn't talked to me and hasn't told anyone, as far as I can tell. I told a few people. It's pretty surreal! :whistle:

I sent the 2 weeks' notice on Friday and nothing has been said at work today. I wasn't marched out the door or anything, I'm just working. My boss hasn't talked to me and hasn't told anyone, as far as I can tell. I told a few people. It's pretty surreal! :whistle:
Maybe your boss hasn't read her email?

Audrey

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander

I delivered my resignation letter in person to my bosses. I felt they deserved to hear it from me directly.
I think it is both discourteous and unprofessional to deliver a notice of resignation via email.

However: all too many bosses deliver important communications that way, without any prior consultation or personal interaction. If that's the case at thinker25's workplace, I certainly don't blame her for going the email route.

I think it is both discourteous and unprofessional to deliver a notice of resignation via email.

However: all too many bosses deliver important communications that way, without any prior consultation or personal interaction. If that's the case at thinker25's workplace, I certainly don't blame her for going the email route.

I agree with you, Milton. But I did not want to make any assumptions about Thinker25's workplace, either. However, even if I had been subject to company emails being the method of delivering lots of big news, I would not have wanted to deliver my biggest piece of news that way. I wanted to savor the moment of telling them I was leaving. And I did. :)

When I told my boss I was leaving, that was by phone (he worked in a different state). What I remember (funny then and still now...the w*rkplace) was that during the discussion he asked if he wanted me to tell my group or him. I said I'll tell them. Boss said, sure, he understood. As soon as I go back to my desk, I hear the phone ring of a co-w*rker's. Then I hear soft discussions in cubicles near mine saying, "did you hear the news...." gossip sure travels fast :LOL:

Both my boss and I work from home on Friday so delivering it in person was not an option unless I wanted to give more (or less) than 2 weeks' notice. I did not want to do that - and get a ton of extra work for my efforts. It was best done the way I did it.

We have a workplace where a great deal of communication is done by email. I don't find it inappropriate in this case.

We did discuss it in person on Monday.

No criticism was intended, and I apologize if it came across that way. None of us are (or at least, were) familiar with your work arrangements.

No criticism was intended, and I apologize if it came across that way. None of us are (or at least, were) familiar with your work arrangements.

Not a problem, just wanted to explain what apparently wasn't clear.

The news is out now, and people keep enviously coming over and expressing massive envy. I just say (essentially): get old, save a great deal of your paycheck, LBYM and pay attention to your investments.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The news is out now, and people keep enviously coming over and expressing massive envy. I just say (essentially): get old, save a great deal of your paycheck, LBYM and pay attention to your investments.

That's great! About the people coming over with massive envy. I remember when I FIRE'd, on the final day, a co-w*rker came up to me and said that she really admired what I did and said she wished she could do the same. I'm sure there's some of both going on towards you. Envy and admiration that you did it :cool:

That's great! About the people coming over with massive envy. I remember when I FIRE'd, on the final day, a co-w*rker came up to me and said that she really admired what I did and said she wished she could do the same. I'm sure there's some of both going on towards you. Envy and admiration that you did it :cool:

It's pretty entertaining listening to people say they couldn't possibly even max out a 401k plan. I work in IT - these people make good salaries...

I followed a similar plan. Always maxed out my 401K plan (worked in IT also). There was one guy who worked with me who was in his early 20's, but like many then, retirement in 20+ years from then feels like an enternity -- not realizing the magic of compounding. The way I look at it, those years help make a good running start til FIREing, and hopefully we have a soft landing :)

The short answer I gave to my envious coworkers when they asked me how I was able to FIRE at age 45 was this: "No kids, no debts." And it did not matter to me if the inquisitive coworker were married or single, childed or childless, debt-free or debt-full.

One coworker I have remained in touch with in the last 18 months since I retired, still wonders how I cover my expenses even though I have told him a few times in the detail I have written in this forum. He turns 66 this year and hopes to finally retire next year, to the glee of some of his coworkers who don't like him so much. :D

How does it go this week so far after you sent that email last Friday?

My boss finally sent the email blast so now everyone knows - although a lot of people had no idea I was 62. I look much younger. Anyhow there has been lots of envy and some accolades from surprising places - which has been very nice. Since I am trying to not burn bridges, I have kept my mouth shut about a lot of why I'm leaving.

I have some stock remarks I make about wanting the summer off, and also a friend dropped dead about 4 weeks ago - I say that was a major reality check. That stops them - dead....

A lot of the people around my age are interested in exactly what I'm going to do - but also a lot know retired friends who are busy all the time. I don't work with too many who wouldn't know what they'd do with all that free time.

Envy is the main reaction. :D

It is less stressful being there... because the worst is over and what on earth could they do to me now?

Back
Top Bottom