Retired "Business" Cards - What would you put on yours?

I agree about the memory tags. I put "Private Portfolio Manager". On the back I put our snowbird contact information but I think I will add some memory tags. At least having stuff on the back stops the card from being used as a notepad. Some friends use personal pictures such as their head snapshots. What do you think about that idea?

Having "retired business cards" would imply that I might meet more than a few people that I would want to have contact me at home after I retire. Given that Frank will already have my number programmed into his phone, and knows my e-mail, I'm not so sure that will be the case!

I must admit that I really do like aworkingrachel's suggestion of using the title "dilettante"... :D

At the moment I'm leaning towards something along the lines of :

Danny
Professor Emeritus of Recreation and Leisure Studies
Dillebarr University
Minnehaha Minnesota

I've used "dilettante" verbally a few times. It must be said with a certain gusto, or else the listener may feel sorry for you for not having found your true calling.

I knew a guy who left the corporate ratrace to be a stay at home father, and he had a great business card with title "Home Engineer" and a big list of all the things he does at home.

I think deciding what to put on the cards is avoiding another critical discussion point.

We're ER'd-- why the heck do we need cards in the first place? Are we returning to the halcyon days of the second millenium?

The people who have pestered me for my card have always wanted to give me one of their own. So I say "Give me another card and I'll write down my e-mail address for you."

The people who I really want to get to know better are the ones I spend a lot of time with, and eventually I write down their name/phone in our planning calendar/notebook. But that's only able to be done after I've paddled in...

We're ER'd-- why the heck do we need cards in the first place?

So I say "Give me another card and I'll write down my e-mail address for you."

The people who I really want to get to know better are the ones I spend a lot of time with, and eventually I write down their name/phone in our planning calendar/notebook. But that's only able to be done after I've paddled in...

I hear ya....but it's the old different paddles for different folks....they can be handy, easier for both and fun....I bet they make waterproof ones.

Last edited:
I also used Vista Print and selected a card that signifies my wife's desire for travel. Of course, I take care of hauling all the "Stuff" :cool:

- Ron

Attachments

• sample.jpg
    sample.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Front of the card suggestion:

img_667825_0_51fdd59602f049bfcaaf89ba9237dc9b.jpg

I also used Vista Print and selected a card that signifies my wife's desire for travel. Of course, I take care of hauling all the "Stuff"
coolsmiley.gif

- Ron

:LOL::2funny:

those are great! I might end up with different sets for different receivers!

Suggestion: Make your own cards either with Avery business card paper, or just use card stock and cut with a paper cutter:

12inchpapertrimmer.gif

You can make a few, and change your mind and use a new design later.

I'm leaning towards....

Professional Slacker

(contact me for new ways to waste time)

name...
phone...

Business Card 2.0

I had one with a guy in a hammock when I retired, but those are about gone.
I might steal that professor line...
How about

JOHN SMITH
"An O.K. Boomer"

Professor of Recreation and Leisure Studies
Investor/Gambler (same thing)
Curator of Yard Sale Leftovers

John @ MyWebSite.com
(555)555-5555
For more information visit MyWebSite.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has my name, phone no, and email address and "Explorer, Photographer, Woodworker, Mapmaker"

I probably have given out 20 since I got them.

Ours just had name, email, phone and one if our pretty nature photographs as the background.

We used quite a few at first, especially when we were full time RVing. Stopped bothering a several years ago. Might have corresponded to having smartphones and Facebook interest groups.

Last edited:
I had some made when I first retired and I think I have given out about 10 over the last 5 years. Has name, phone, email and "Founder and Head Lounger at Life of Leisure Institute."

We had joint social cards printed 8 years ago when we moved into our new house.
Both names/phones/email. Physical address.
Have given out over 200+.
They are high quality and I plan to buy more.

Last edited:
Suggestion: Make your own cards either with Avery business card paper, or just use card stock and cut with a paper cutter. You can make a few, and change your mind and use a new design later.

I agree. I ordered some of those "Free" business cards about 8-10 years ago for my business that cost me $12 in shipping. I've probably handed out a dozen or two at most. I don't interact face to face with people, so the cards I have will probably last the rest of my life. I've thought about tossing them in with packages I ship, but my contact info is already plastered on everything. They are still usable, though the email and web address are wrong and will redirect to my current addresses.

Unless I was planning to hand out hundreds of business cards, I would take the DIY route. It's easier to change your mind, and you could create a variety of cards for different situations.

I need to get some simple ones made. This one was a concept for a one sided card.

Attachments

• Clone_Card.jpg
    Clone_Card.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 92
Back
Top Bottom