Retiree or Wannabee?

How many years have you been (or until your goal date) FIRE'd?

• Been retired more than 10 years

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Been retired more than 5 years

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Retired within the last year

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • Plan to retire within the next year

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Plan to retire within 5 years

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • Plan to retire within 10 years

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • Been Retired Less than 5 Years

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • Plan to retire in more than 10 years

Votes: 13 13.0%

• Total voters

Sheryl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ok,  I'm taking a big plunge here posting my first poll.  Dan Tien, how did I do??

I've been curious about the readership of the board - there seems to be a mix of retirees and wanabees, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks! :smitten:

KB said:
Retired 7 weeks ago.  Loving every minute of it. 

July 1st for me, also loving every minute of doing exactly what I want to do, when I want to do it.

I got laid off almost 6 months which turned out to be a better deal for me as I was planning to leave 6 months later. I am still getting paid my salary with benefits but unfortunately the free lunch will soon be over. :'( It will be time to face the brave new ER world on my own. :bat: :)

Looks like there are a fair number of us Wannabees... Sign me up for May 1, 2007.

CJ

Sheryl,

I dont see a choice for plan to be retired in more than 10 years. I'm working my butt off towards FIRE, but i just cant pull it off in less than 10 years. Not unless i converted to a unibomber lifestyle (and forced my wife and 2 year old to do the same).

A poll should cover all possible options.

Sorry Az,
I was trying not to overcomplicate it and still be specific enough to get useful data. I'll spend more time on my research design next time.

Meantime, I've added the option you requested...

It is interesting that the wannabee's are leading in the poll, but this may just be because the ER's are not sitting in front of computer screens.....

It is interesting that the wannabee's are leading in the poll, but this may just be because the ER's are not sitting in front of computer screens.....

This is probably true Sheryl.

Not to offend any ERs that visit here, but if i were retired, i doubt i'd waste any time here. If you notice, i tend to post here during typical work hrs ;)

I'm semi-retired, but the best poll answer for me is that I plan on full retirement within the next 5 years.

Officially retired: 12/31/2003. Actually left work with lots of vacation time: 10/1/2003. Mentally retired years ago.

azanon said:
Not to offend any ERs that visit here, but if i were retired, i doubt i'd waste any time here. If you notice, i tend to post here during typical work hrs ;)

He he he.. that is what my profile looks like too... hope the boss never finds this site... ;)

There was no option for more than one but less than 5 years. That is where I am now. It could be sooner than that after the meeting I just had with my boss. Looks like more trouble coming from upper mgt. on budget and headcount alignment with other sites and if we are forced to comply it will mean more people, more headaches, more responsibility with the same amount of money for me. I have done this too many times before and I may jump ship sooner than I thought. If this comes down I will be ER in a couple of months instead of a couple of years.

azanon said:

I for one am thankful to the ER members who continue to share their wisdom and experiences with us. I do agree that eventually after a few years some of the ER member may wonder off into the sunset.

By the way it's too bad that you think it would be a waste of your time to share.

my $.02 :)

By the way it's too bad that you think it would be a waste of your time to share.

my $.02

I didnt mean it like that.

To clarify, I'm not claiming i'd never come here. I was just trying to say i like to think that the lion's share of my time will be me out living a life of freedom doing all those things i never had time to do at work.

azanon said:

To clarify, I'm not claiming i'd never come here.   I was just trying to say i like to think that the lion's share of my time will be me out living a life of freedom doing all those things i never had time to do at work.

Actually azanon, us retirees get a wicked pleasure watching all you guys complaining about work!   >:D :D

Cut-Throat said:
Actually azanon, us retirees get a wicked pleasure watching all you guys complaining about work! >:D :D

If unclemick was here, he'd say "heh, heh, heh.." :)

REW, who relishes reading Dilbert and saying "I don't get it."

azanon said:

To clarify, I'm not claiming i'd never come here. I was just trying to say i like to think that the lion's share of my time will be me out living a life of freedom doing all those things i never had time to do at work.

Ok azanon. :)
Don't get me wrong, when I begin travelling a lot more next year, I won't have has many opportunities to visit the forum, and when I do, it would be hard to catch up on all the past posts. But I'd try.

I'm currently 28. Don't yet know exact ER date (dependent mostly upon the unknown future Mrs. Peter76 and her financial habits), but I'm hoping to at least be working part-time by the time I turn 40, if not fully retired. So, more than 10 years, but hopefully not too many more.

Unless, that is, I get my dream job of portfolio management for a personal financial planner or mutual fund, where I can do what I do right now after-hours, and get paid for it (imagine, getting paid to do research for the same investments you yourself pick out! :) Isn't this a great country? )

Starting a part-time MBA in January (still have to finish the application and send it in), so my dream-job search won't start until another 2 or 3 years.

--Peter

Retired 2 weeks ago, and love-love-LOVING it! It's much better than I expected. Not only do I not have to work, I don't have to stress about work--and that was worse than the work itself. It took separating myself from wrok to realize how bad the stress was.

In my first 2 weeks I've spend more time with my elderly mother and my brother, started catching up on reading (online & off), dealt with some personal finance stuff I'd been procrastinating about, did a little more work on DD's wedding arrangements and visited my daughter in DC for wedding gown shopping, cooking together, and just having fun. I'm planning to visit my son this fall as well. It's SO great not to have to check with a boss about when I can visit my own kids.  :D

azanon said:
This is probably true Sheryl.

Not to offend any ERs that visit here, but if i were retired, i doubt i'd waste any time here.   If you notice, i tend to post here during typical work hrs  ;)

Not to offend you Azanon, but you are stealing from me and any other taxpayer. As long as your work is only useless, and not harmful to the world, get back to work, now, before I call your boss.

Ha

Not to offend you Azanon, but you are stealing from me and any other taxpayer. As long as your work is only useless, and not harmful to the world, get back to work, now, before I call your boss.

I realize there are people that don't appreciate what we do for them.  We do it anyway.   

As for telling me to go back to work, why don't you mind your own business.  If you think what i do is useless, then why in the hell do you care whether i work or not?

(edit) Also, if you're as old as that man in that picture, there's a good chance that actually i'm the one that's paying you. I know for certain I pay SS taxes, and you may be collecting. And folks living on SS pay little to no taxes.

Back
Top Bottom