Sunday Evenings in Retirement

Well, my Sunday night "not lookin' forward to Monday" feeling was justified. Work crisis kept me in the office til 10:15 pm tonight. That does not happen often, but when it does... Got a cab home and ate dinner at 10:50 pm. Gotta get to sleep pretty soon so I can get up at 6:45 am. Later this week, a two day business trip, with a long flight.

Thanks for the reminder Medved! I hated Sunday nights all of my life because of what was always coming on Monday. In most cases, it wasn't something specifically awful, but I knew I was back to renting my life away to someone else. The worse was the Sunday before a Monday of an overseas trip to fix some sort of debacle when I was still w*rking. BTW, I also hated the sound of the 60 Minutes stopwatch for as long as I can remember.

Now, we've been FIRED for almost 2 years and I love Sundays, especially during the summer. We get to hang out with our boating friends until "whenever" Sunday night without Mon. morning consequences. Also, Sunday night heralds the beginning of the "w*rk week", so we know we'll have the big lake and the trails all to ourselves, even in good weather! Live is good :dance:

I'm beginning to believe that I was born to live this dream life. In fact, I fantasized about something like this since I was a young kid, but I just didn't know what it was called or how to get there. I'm blessed and very thankful for FIRE!

FB

Last edited:
This AM is yet another great day to be retired. The Atlanta area FINALLY got a decent amount of rain starting last night and continuing into this morning's commute. And as you might guess, the 6 million folks who live here have forgotten how to drive in the rain and the roads are a mess. But, there is no traffic in my living room as I enjoy the patter of rain on the deck and my fresh cup of Joe. Ah...the retired life is absolutely fabulous.

Thanks for the reminder Medved! I hated Sunday nights all of my life because of what was always coming on Monday. In most cases, it wasn't something specifically awful, but I knew I was back to renting my life away to someone else. The worse was the Sunday before a Monday of an overseas trip to fix some sort of debacle when I was still w*rking. BTW, I also hated the sound of the 60 Minutes stopwatch for as long as I can remember.

Now, we've been FIRED for almost 2 years and I love Sundays, especially during the summer. We get to hang out with our boating friends until "whenever" Sunday night without Mon. morning consequences. Also, Sunday night heralds the beginning of the "w*rk week", so we know we'll have the big lake and the trails all to ourselves, even in good weather! Live is good :dance:

I'm beginning to believe that I was born to live this dream life. In fact, I fantasized about something like this since I was a young kid, but I just didn't know what it was called or how to get there. I'm blessed and very thankful for FIRE!

FB

Beautiful! DW and I have a small place on one of the Finger Lakes. We started off camping, with a boat on a trailer. On Sundays, around 1PM or so I'd be thinking about pulling the boat off the water, dragging it to the campground, breaking down camp, and trying to be home before dark.
We dreamed about how nice it would be to have a place on the water, and now we do, and March 1 DW will retire.
I can't wait until Spring. Sunday nights, Monday mornings....the lake just empties out.

Well, my Sunday night "not lookin' forward to Monday" feeling was justified. Work crisis kept me in the office til 10:15 pm tonight. That does not happen often, but when it does... Got a cab home and ate dinner at 10:50 pm. Gotta get to sleep pretty soon so I can get up at 6:45 am. Later this week, a two day business trip, with a long flight.

Just sayin this so those of you who are retired can feel (even) better about your decision!

(Strange thing is I have more than enough money to retire. I just can't quite bring myself to do it. So I have only myself to blame, I suppose).

I want to say I'm sorry about your situation, but yeah...you seem to have to some reason to torture yourself. Why are you sticking around? Life is short...VERY, VERY short! :)

I want to say I'm sorry about your situation, but yeah...you seem to have to some reason to torture yourself. Why are you sticking around? Life is short...VERY, VERY short! :)

I really don't know. Habit? What everyone else is doing? An ingrained belief that a guy gets up in the morning and goes to an office? A fear that if things go really, really badly, we might not have enough money (even though Firecalc consistently shows no such scenarios)? Not wanting to retire while we still live in the suburbs and have a kid at home (a few more years) because I am not sure what I would spend my time doing? Some part of my identity is tied up in professional stature? Fear of the unknown? I'm still making a lot of money, so each additional year has significant economic value (but of course non-economic costs).

I don't like any of these reasons. But if I am going to be honest with myself, they are all probably a part of why I am working even though I am FI.

But I would not on this board if I did not aspire to take the leap that most of you have. I just have to get over the (psychological) hump.

Last edited:
This AM is yet another great day to be retired. The Atlanta area FINALLY got a decent amount of rain starting last night and continuing into this morning's commute. And as you might guess, the 6 million folks who live here have forgotten how to drive in the rain and the roads are a mess. But, there is no traffic in my living room as I enjoy the patter of rain on the deck and my fresh cup of Joe. Ah...the retired life is absolutely fabulous.

Oh yes driving in the rain. For 10 years I commuted 125 miles round trip. Only times I dreaded it was the occasional snow or a good rain after a long dry spell.

One part of the trip was around a corner that was banked the wrong way. Seems like someone always managed to fly off the road, generally taking out the same power pole every time. I got so sick of waiting for the same wreck to clear I'd actually go another 15 miles out of the way to avoid the inevitable wreck.

I really don't know. Habit? What everyone else is doing? An ingrained belief that a guy gets up in the morning and goes to an office? A fear that if things go really, really badly, we might not have enough money (even though Firecalc consistently shows no such scenarios)? Not wanting to retire while we still live in the suburbs and have a kid at home (a few more years) because I am not sure what I would spend my time doing? Some part of my identity is tied up in professional stature? Fear of the unknown? I'm still making a lot of money, so each additional year has significant economic value (but of course non-economic costs).

I don't like any of these reasons. But if I am going to be honest with myself, they are all probably a part of why I am working even though I am FI.

But I would not on this board if I did not aspire to take the leap that most of you have. I just have to get over the (psychological) hump.

Hey, if you are not ready, you are not ready. You'll know when it's time.

I still have to get the kids out to school - so must still set my alarm.... But I also love anticipating several hours with no kids in the house!!!! Especially after a holiday week of togetherness. LOL.

This. Exactly. I enjoyed the holiday week but was excited for Monday morning and a quiet house to myself.

Yeah, no kidding. Going all the way back to junior high school, when the tic tic tic was the painful reminder that I hadn't done any homework.

Reminds me of how I felt when I left my first job (teaching school), and made a career change in my late 20's. I had never realized how beautiful Sept/Oct. was in the Midwest previously. One day, driving along with the windows down, and enjoying life it dawned on me that I had hated the September time frame since it had always meant back to school for 20 years...

Still love the early fall.

I'm on vacation this week and also took off next Monday. I was out of town for a few days but now I'm home and already dreading going back to w**k. Sundays are so bad I had to put it off until Monday. Lol.

I like that my Sunday evening only involves choosing between SNF or watching Tea Leoni in "Madam Secretary"...

I like that my Sunday evening only involves choosing between SNF or watching Tea Leoni in "Madam Secretary"...

Back in the early 1990s, I remember my Sunday nights consisting of "Married: With Children" and after that a short-lived show starring a very gorgeous (and much younger) Tea Leoni called, "Flying Blind."

All these years I thought I was the only one with the Sunday night blues.

The end is near ....

I did, as well! Guessing many of us thought we were the only ones...

I remember Googling things like What to do if you get depressed on Sunday nights about going to work on Monday. And, then posting about it on this very forum.....like, I still didn't truly understand. :facepalm:

Sunday evenings are now dreamy.

Well, it's Sunday night, and I am feeling that rosy glow. It's snowing, gonna keep on snowing all night. Another reason to feel giddy.
I will get up in time to dust DW's car off, start it up for her so it's nice and warm for her 4 minute commute. And then later in the morning I'll fire up the snowblower. Then a walk by the river, a trip to the gym....
let it snow...

Sunday evening in south Florida. 75 degrees with a breeze and rain moving away.
No snow in the forecast! [emoji16]

Well, it's Sunday night, and I am feeling that rosy glow. It's snowing, gonna keep on snowing all night. Another reason to feel giddy.
I will get up in time to dust DW's car off, start it up for her so it's nice and warm for her 4 minute commute. And then later in the morning I'll fire up the snowblower. Then a walk by the river, a trip to the gym....
let it snow...

Well, I'm glad to see somebody else feels the same way I do

Heading up north in two weeks for the holiday. Not looking forward to the forecast snow and cold.

Happy Dance! Almost nine months in and I'm still have that Sunday dread for second.

Well, Monday didn't work out exactly as planned. I forgot that DW's car is in the shop so I had to drive her to work. I was planning on brushing her car off (snow) and starting it for her so she'd have a nice warm clean car to drive. It seems like the least I could do since I'll be staying in drinking hot coffee while she heads off to work.
It's only a 4 minute commute, but I had to drive her in so she could open up the dental office I used to own. When we got there she realized she had forgotten her keys to the office, so I had to drive her back home, and then make the trip again, so the whole deal cost me all of maybe 20 minutes.
Now I'm back home, warm and toasty, drinking my joe.
When my dad was retired, and I'd call and ask him what he was doing, his standard response was, "I'm contemplating my next course of action." I have stolen that line from him. So that's what I'm doing right now.

Well, Monday didn't work out exactly as planned. I forgot that DW's car is in the shop so I had to drive her to work. I was planning on brushing her car off (snow) and starting it for her so she'd have a nice warm clean car to drive. It seems like the least I could do since I'll be staying in drinking hot coffee while she heads off to work.
It's only a 4 minute commute, but I had to drive her in so she could open up the dental office I used to own. When we got there she realized she had forgotten her keys to the office, so I had to drive her back home, and then make the trip again, so the whole deal cost me all of maybe 20 minutes.
Now I'm back home, warm and toasty, drinking my joe.
When my dad was retired, and I'd call and ask him what he was doing, his standard response was, "I'm contemplating my next course of action." I have stolen that line from him. So that's what I'm doing right now.

Let me get this straight; you sold your dental practice and your wife stills works there but you are FIRE'd. Interesting situation. I will most likely be RE for a few years before DW. I got her a remote start so I will not be getting up early to warm her car up.

In 8 days I expect to be in VT riding my Polaris down the trails.

Cheers

Let me get this straight; you sold your dental practice and your wife stills works there but you are FIRE'd. Interesting situation. I will most likely be RE for a few years before DW. I got her a remote start so I will not be getting up early to warm her car up.

In 8 days I expect to be in VT riding my Polaris down the trails.

Cheers

Yes, you got it straight. But she is 4 years younger than I. Having her stay around was pretty important for the transition. She promised the new doctor 3 months, but it will be 18 months by March 1, which is when she will retire. :dance:

I found the Sunday night "glow" does dissipate after a while, Been 10 years since ER and its mostly gone. Too bad it was quite enjoyable.

stayed up late for me last night - watching my Cowboys lose to NY. Thought for a minute was I was going to be tired for wor* tomorrow - then JOY!!! - remembered I was RE

Back
Top Bottom