They Call Me Mellow (Yellow)

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Didn't want to hijack Bruce's thread and this is not after one month of ER (it's after a full year---what can I say---I'm a slow learner!), but I can't believe what life is life without impatience and time urgency. I used to be more tightly wound than a championship yoyo and now I'm actually mellow!

Yesterday DH and I had to wait for a while in Teavana (a store that sells teas at the mall) while the sales clerk, who was new, had to redo our purchase and get help ringing it up. In our former life, we would never have been rude, but we would have been sighing, shifting our weight from foot to foot, and generally acting ancy. Now---completely relaxed, smiling beneficently. The guy thanked us for our patience. He felt good, so did we.

I know this seems like such a little thing, but it's the little things that collectively make up a life.

And as a reward for my new Zenlike state, I get to tell the following joke:

What did the Buddhist monk say to the hot dog vendor?
"Make me one with everything."

Aren't Buddhist vegetarians?

Not all Buddhists---but I do think monks and nuns are. There goes my joke....

About 6 months after I retired I was at the checkout behind a really old guy who was having trouble putting his change away and picking up his groceries. It occurred to me that I wasn't upset and (inwardly) seething and cursing as I would have been if I had been shopping after work.

I noticed the same mellowness another time when a woman parked next to me took time to get out her walker.

Retirement gave me all that time and patience.

Once in a while I'll show up at the grocery store, completely forgetting that it's the noon/lunchtime rush. I'll meander up to the checkout, and see all of these people in a big hurry because they're on their lunch break and have to hurry back to the j*b. I usually let a couple of them get move up in front of me and say something to the effect of "Since I'm retired and in absolutely no hurry to be anywhere, go ahead of me. I remember how it was, trying to get things done during a my lunch break.....back when I was still w*rking. Now.....I'm in Noooo hurry!"

They always smile and graciously thank me. And then, after I pay for my groceries, I casually meander back out to the car, and start my relaxing ride back home for my afternoon siesta.

None of that 'hurrying & scurrying' hassle for me! I'm retired! I'm in no hurry! So much less stress this way!!!

I have some buddhist friends who are vegan and some who eat anything and everything. They are like anyone else. While surfing all this week, a bunch of buddhist priests have been running along the surfline for exercise while I've been frolicking with the dolphins offshore. You never know (at least I don't).

Q: Why don't Buddhists vacuum in the corners?
A: Because they have no attachments.

Back
Top Bottom