Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Like bbbami I also lost weight in retirement so I had to buy a whole new wardrobe . I spent a good chunk at JJill , Talbots & Chico's .I also had to buy new gym wear & luckily that I find at TJMAX.
This afternoon I was frying some burger and onions and I splashed grease on my tan Carhartt cargo pants. I hate to lose a $40 pair of jeans, so I whipped them off and started my emergency grease response. I needed something to wear, so I grabbed a pair of Levi's off my shelf. Old 501s that I last wore about 1980, and they fit fine. I've hung on to them because I thought I might get around to selling them on Ebay. I feel good about this. I have no idea what diets and exercise makes me healthier, but it is easy to tell what makes me look better.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Great analogy.

But, that's not why we are here today, although, maybe it is. Sometimes these bigger questions overwhelm me. (duck, is there a question here?). Maybe, maybe not, but let's get started:

After reading about wardrobe reductions and then wrestling the majority of the night (and most of the next morning) wondering whether dress socks can be considered as "wardrobe" I decided take a risk and present this:

It seems that over many years I've accumulated 42 pairs of dark dress socks (black, brown, dark olive, grey, navy). They all fit (sort of tightly) in one dresser drawer and they seem to get along well. They are all in good shape (the bad shaped ones would get tossed along the way). I used to wear them to work (one pair at a time). I am no longer working, so I only wear dark socks very occasionally. The question is (so, here's where you put the question, duck) do I keep them all because I have a place for them or do I toss some (how many?) because I don't have a need for 42 pairs of dress socks?
You have enough to present a sock puppet production of Les Miz. Staging it will keep you busy for hours.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

.... They don't even have holes, just frayed at the cuffs! Oh well.
I think "Frayed at the Cuffs" was a gelding that ran in the Belmont in the early fifties. Finished out of the money, if I recall correctly.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You have enough to present a sock puppet production of Les Miz. Staging it will keep you busy for hours.
And people wonder what we early retirees will do all day...
Old 05-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #45

I definitely need to go through a wardrobe reduction. DW and I have jam packed 4 closets with our clothes. I have 10-15 pairs of dress work pants that I haven't seen since I retired a year ago. I also have several dress shirts and a couple of suits to get rid of, all of the jeans and t shirts can stay.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #46

DH and I both have lost a lot of weight since he retired 5 years ago and I went to a very part-time schedule. For awhile I was going to the office one day a week and kept a couple of suits to do it. Now, I work only a few hours a week entirely from home so I don't need that.

I just last week went through all my clothes and pared down only to clothes that fit me and that I actually enjoy wearing. I ended up with about 12 T-shirts, 2 pairs of jeans, 1 pair of nice pants, and a couple of pairs of knit pants to wear around the house. I had a few jackets and nicer tops.

I actually own no dresses (other than my wedding dress).

DH has long since gotten rid of his office clothes since he lost almost 80 pounds.

The only negative is that we are going to a family wedding later this month and he had to go out buy a suit, shirt, belt, and shoes for it since all of that had gone away when he lost so much weight.

Likewise, I need to go and buy a dress for the wedding.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #47

I haven't gotten rid of any of my formal work clothes and haven't worn any of them since retiring a little over 3 years ago. I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure they have all probably shrunk to the point that I couldn't wear any of them anymore. Everything seems to be shrinking, as I age, except my waistline and my bank account.

When I go out now, it's always blue jeans, a striped T-Shirt w/pocket, comfortable shoes and a ball cap. Around the house it's cutoff blue jeans and old T Shirts, (unless it too cold and then I go formal and wear full length blue jeans and have been known to put on an old flannel shirt.)
Old 05-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

My 10 yo jeans recently needed replacement due to holes in wrong locations so I traveled to my favorite jeans replacement store and acquired two new-to-me jeans. Goodwill charged me $8 for both.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I actually ended up buying a new suit after retiring. With more time to visit my daughter in Chicago, I've been pulled into going to some of her more formal work related events at times. After years of 'engineering casual' and the last three years working from home, my wardrobe had devolved to sweats and athletic gear.

My wife is always suggesting wardrobe upgrades, and doesn't seem to get the idea that I have enough clothes to last out the rest of my life.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop14 View Post
My wife is always suggesting wardrobe upgrades, and doesn't seem to get the idea that I have enough clothes to last out the rest of my life.
My guess is that your wife would like to dress up for some events and would appreciate your being a handsome accessory for her.

If it cost a thousand bucks or so, and you are not really thrilled at dressing up, it may just warm her heart and make both of you glad.

I like casual too, but I really appreciate GF dressing up. So occasionally I figure -do something well, Ha you lazy slob. It will make her happy, and it may do wonders for you too.

Ha
Old 05-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #51

After a cold, rainy Spring, the weather's finally turned warm. Time to get out those two pairs of jean shorts from Walmart and those T shirts from Old Navy.

Nicest thing about retiring is shaving only on Wednesdays and Sundays.

All the drunks amd resident hillbillies speak to me like I'm one of them. All because I drive a pickup truck. It's nice to be accepted, however. I do work hard building on my houses and doing construction on Habitat type houses--but just not at a job.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:08 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post

I actually own no dresses (other than my wedding dress).

Am I the only one that sees a contradiction here?

Marc
Old 05-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Ironic, isn't it, that you have a dress, but you can't wear it on this occasion! Could you borrow or rent one?
Old 05-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
My guess is that your wife would like to dress up for some events and would appreciate your being a handsome accessory for her.

If it cost a thousand bucks or so, and you are not really thrilled at dressing up, it may just warm her heart and make both of you glad.

I like casual too, but I really appreciate GF dressing up. So occasionally I figure -do something well, Ha you lazy slob. It will make her happy, and it may do wonders for you too.

Ha
Yeah, likely so. Or at least try to not look homeless. That's what the suit is for - it's the middle ground between casual and formal that's a stretch.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:22 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Timely topic for me. This weekend I went through my closet and pulled out a large garbage bag of my old work related clothes and took to Goodwill. I have been retired five years and realized that I will never wear these clothes. Since retirement I have bought jeans, underwear, shoes, casual tops, and one dressy dress (party dress not business dressy). It felt good to get rid of those old clothes.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #56

Like others, I have spent very little on clothes since ER. Most days, I wear a T shirt and jeans or shorts. If I'm going out, I usually will put on a polo type shirt and maybe slacks. I still have the button down shirts that I had for w*rk. They still fit and I occasionally wear them. I have one nice suit that I keep for special occasions.
Not that I'm keeping track, but I have not worn a tie for over 4 years.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop14 View Post
Yeah, likely so. Or at least try to not look homeless. That's what the suit is for - it's the middle ground between casual and formal that's a stretch.
Actually, wearing a suit has become so rare I think I see more suits (albeit usually worn and/or dirty) on the homeless or unemployed than the office workers these days. They are overrun with them at the local Salvation Army, Goodwill, and charity thrift shops.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Ironic, isn't it, that you have a dress, but you can't wear it on this occasion! Could you borrow or rent one?
http://www.rentherunway.com

I haven't tried this but I'm intrigued. My niece, who's into high fashion, uses it a lot. What I really like are the reviews with pictures from real women who rented the dress. Most have "normal" shapes, not stick-thin model figures.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I just looked. These are all young beautiful women, if this is "normal" I need to know where!
Old 05-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #60

You have to look at reviews of a specific dress. Here's an example. It's a younger group, but quite a few curvy women in there.

https://www.renttherunway.com/shop/d...esgown#reviews