what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brandy?....haaaarumphhhhh...I've never heard of such a thing. :angel:

(but I do use Jack Daniels) :D

mmmm, hmmmm...a little fuzz is good every once in a while...

Well you see, long story.
I had brandy left over from christmas & eggnog thingy's.
So one day I thought, I'd like an Irish coffee.
Oh , don't have any Irish whiskey or anything close.
So that's how the brandy ended up in my coffee.
Not to bad actually.

Now the song I'm working on about it. :D
Think Charlie Daniels or Marshall Tucker, somebody like that. Maybe a little of the old movie "Thunder Road" staring Robert Mitchum. I'm sure you are to young to remember, right?
Only got a few lines that popped in my head one day after drinking the new brew.

Brandy in my coffee, lightning in my tea.
Had to move to the other side of the mountain.
The law was after me.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: copy rights pending

Well you see, long story.
I had brandy left over from christmas & eggnog thingy's.
So one day I thought, I'd like an Irish coffee.
Oh , don't have any Irish whiskey or anything close.
So that's how the brandy ended up in my coffee.
Not to bad actually.

Now the song I'm working on about it. :D
Think Charlie Daniels or Marshall Tucker, somebody like that. Maybe a little of the old movie "Thunder Road" staring Robert Mitchum. I'm sure you are to young to remember, right?
Who is this Robert Mitchum you speak of? :angel:
Only got a few lines that popped in my head one day after drinking the new brew.

Brandy in my coffee, lightning in my tea.
Had to move to the other side of the mountain.
The law was after me.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: copy rights pending
Here are a few lines you could add if you are so inclined...no charge...;)

Feelin’ warm fuzzies got ahold of me.
Long gone are the days drinkin’ from a fountain.
But dang I still have the need to pee.

:flowers:

... The wind was coming from the east in gusts and creating havoc with the row of boats where mine is docked. My bow line had snapped, and one of the guys had temporarily re-tied it.
I had to semi-crawl out on a "bucking bronco" finger slip and redo the bow line and added another spring line for good measure. The good news is my back up system of lines had kept the boat from smashing into the dock at the bow and the two stern lines (also with backups) had held fast. I got soaked to the skin in driving rain. :(...
Somehow "freebird" and boat ownership seems like a strange combination.

As a resident of the Pacific coast, I remember a famous radio announcer and one-time boat owner here complaining that, whenever he got the ownership urge again, he just took a cold shower while pouring money down the drain!

Somehow "freebird" and boat ownership seems like a strange combination.

As a resident of the Pacific coast, I remember a famous radio announcer and one-time boat owner here complaining that, whenever he got the ownership urge again, he just took a cold shower while pouring money down the drain!
:LOL:
It is merely an 18' powerboat on a small reservoir nearby. It is usually a nice quiet dockage situation. But when winds are coming in gusts up to 30 mph in a driving rainstorm, a nice quiet little reservoir can become quite the wild place.
My boating is very "Freebird". There is nothing like slamming the throttle forward and skimming across the lake at 35 mph. Once I get my "need for speed" satisfied, I generally kill the motor and float wherever the wind blows me. :D

Attachments

• LkDelta2Oct09-1.jpg
    LkDelta2Oct09-1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2
Wow, I haven't been keeping up with this thread. So a belated THANKS to Simple Girl for posting the video of her performance. Great job.

Nice surf trip today, although the waves were small. But it was unusually warm (about 65 degrees -- water: 53 degrees). Had a few "I'm getting too old for this" moments, but got a second wind after lunch.

img_971065_0_42474741f8061e6a0a81b99dbc327c57.jpg

img_971065_1_e8ddfa5d65e9c81221288fbb51505202.jpg

img_971065_2_115b3161ad1189b9cfb95dc3a892cdb9.jpg

Tonight is my dance performance during intermission at the roller derby game. We all dress up in funky outfits and such. In fact I just painted my nails black...first time I've ever done that in my life!

Tonight we are staying at the Amana Colonies RV Park outside of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. They have a large building about 25 feet from our site. As I was setting up, I noticed this group of girls collecting at the front. They looked quite athletic (one was doing push-ups twenty at a time to disperse her nervous tension) and were dressed in some sort of costumes. Costumes that reminded me of Carnival acts.

Anyway, after dinner, I went outside and noticed the lights on in the gymnasium-like room of the building. So I decided to walk over to the bathroom. Well when I got over to where I could look in the window in the door -- there they were... Roller Derby players.

I watched for about five minutes or so but while they noticed me, they didn't seem too welcoming so I left. Very impressive, I can tell you. I may have to take this Roller Derby thing much more seriously.

Bought the plane tickets for next month's chapter meeting of the Houston ERs. Thank goodness Continental/United has a nonstop redeye.

While I'm there I guess we'll also drop in on our kid's college "Families Weekend". Frankly the only two events of the college's entire weekend that sound interesting are the Saturday-morning [-]beer[/-] coffee klatsch with her dorm's masters/RAs and the Saturday-afternoon [-]beer[/-] tailgate party. Apparently after the tailgater they're also having a football game.

It'd be interesting to swap sea stories with her NROTC officers. But I'm not sure that she wants them to even see her parents, let alone hear our sea stories...

I discovered today that Hawaii has passed a new law for a 25-year property-tax exclusion on photovoltaic arrays. Woo-hoo! It'll only be $75-$100/year but every buck counts. I'm mailing in that paperwork tomorrow.

Taekwondo tonight after a three-week break. I might as well start wincing and saying "Ouch" now.

Yep, looks like they're scheduled to loose to Baylor.
This week the Rice administration somewhat secretively and unexpectedly sold the school's radio transmission tower & FCC license to another school-- for nearly $10M. Rice radio is going Internet-only.

The shocked & outraged Rice students immediately started a poll to determine if they could get anywhere near that much for selling the football team.

I'm going to enjoy the family time but I don't know what the "Families Weekend" staff were thinking when they scheduled presentations with titles like "Music is an Occult Practice of Arithmetic in Which the Spirit Is Unaware That It Counts"...

The shocked & outraged Rice students immediately started a poll to determine if they could get anywhere near that much for selling the football team.

Since football at Rice is an extracurricular sport, not Big Business, I'm guessing the students might have to pass the hat and offer the buyer a rebate...

I'm going to enjoy the family time but I don't know what the "Families Weekend" staff were thinking when they scheduled presentations with titles like "Music is an Occult Practice of Arithmetic in Which the Spirit Is Unaware That It Counts"...

If the presentation is delivered by the Marching Owl Band (AKA "The MOB"), you're in for a real treat.

The landscaping and tree removal team was supposed to begin work "probably Tuesday, but you don't have to be there" so I got up at 7 AM this morning (three hours early for me, these days). Even if I didn't have to be here, I wanted to keep an eye on what they were doing.

They didn't show. :( Granted, the lady who answers their phones told me confidentially that they often do the work as late as two weeks after the date they specify. But hey, the price is right.

Some time tomorrow, the Salvation Army is coming to take away half my furniture so I will be pretty good at staying home all day waiting for people by then. :rolleyes:

Got up around 10ish, fed the kitties, paid a couple of bills and talked to DH. He's currently enjoying Yellowstone National Park.

I fully intended to mow the grass, but it's cloudy, windy and looks like it will rain. I'll put it off until tomorrow...hopefully tomorrow it will be cloudy, windy and will look like rain. :)

Wow, I haven't been keeping up with this thread. So a belated THANKS to Simple Girl for posting the video of her performance. Great job.

Same here. Just now seeing the video. Good job!

Played golf this morning. Nice weather too. A hint of fall was in the air.:) Time for a nap now though.

I never post on this thread because I thought it would probably bore you. However, thought I'g give it a try. This was supposed to be golf day. Seven golf buddies and myself met for our usual 7:30 tee time. TV said it would rain, paper said it would rain and the sky looked like it would rain. What the hell do they know! We played six holes and the skies opened up. Luckily we were close to a shelter, got tied up for about 45 minutes and decided to hang it up. One of the few times we're been rained out. Most thunderstorms here occur in the afternoon so this was rare. Went to Perkins for breakfast and more man talk.

I never post on this thread because I thought it would probably bore you. However, thought I'g give it a try...
I do believe that was part of the original thesis of the thread. But you would have to ask Khan. :cool:

My boring day...my favorite Bostonian came over for a nice quiet afternoon, complete with one of my famous backrubs. Then I decided it was a perfect day to jump in the outdoor jacuzzi. It's been so hot :mad: here lately, the last thing I wanted to do is sit in 102 F water. I turned the jets on maximum and feel fabulous. :D
Dinner was quesadillas. Some friends were given a quesadilla maker as a gift and didn't want to mess with it. I did a "Carpe Diem" and volunteered to give it a good home. :angel:
I layered taco beef and cheddar cheese between 2 soft flour burritos grandes, closed the lid, and 4 minutes later....Voila!
Add a thin layer of sour cream on top....yuuuuuummmmy. :cool:

W2R---I have been thinking about calling the Salvation Army and scheduling a pick up. I have 2 heavy older TVs (working order) that I want to replace with a big plasma model mounted on the wall of the den so I can watch it from the kitchen (I know, I know but it is two out, and only one in). I also seem to have gone chair crazy the last few years. I have been picking up one of a kind antique wooden chairs cheap but it has gotten ridiculous so out most of them will go. The same thing with a lot of pottery and crockery that is never used...out to a new good home. Must call tomorrow!

So, one can only give away LCD TVs now? Do they have to be of the 1080p type too?

Great to know that, so that in the future when I buy something for myself, I will just buy two in order to have one extra to donate.

W2R---I have been thinking about calling the Salvation Army and scheduling a pick up. I have 2 heavy older TVs (working order) that I want to replace with a big plasma model mounted on the wall of the den so I can watch it from the kitchen (I know, I know but it is two out, and only one in). I also seem to have gone chair crazy the last few years. I have been picking up one of a kind antique wooden chairs cheap but it has gotten ridiculous so out most of them will go. The same thing with a lot of pottery and crockery that is never used...out to a new good home. Must call tomorrow!

REW is right, although I did see a lot of old CRT TV's at the Salvation Army store. I would imagine that they get more than they need, though. I bought my plasma TV a couple of years ago from a store that delivers and also removes your old CRT TV for you (it was worth it, since i had one of those 200# 33-inch Sonys). I still have a non-functional 18" CRT TV in the bedroom, and Frank has two huge CRT TV's, so we will find out where to dispose of them and take care of that pretty soon.

It still sounds like you are ready to donate a lot of stuff, though! :)

Tomorrow they will take my 8' lazyboy sofa, coffee table, end table, china cabinet, dining table with leaf, and six dining chairs. I still have my easy chair and other tables, including the kitchenette table, and these will go in a second S.A. pick-up later on.

Then I'll have the dining room re-carpeted, and then after the last S.A. pick-up I can move the rest of my stuff in the dining room and re-carpet the rest of the house. Or at least, that is the plan. :rolleyes:

The plan also had the landscaping team showing up today, which they didn't, and the electrician returning a message asking for an estimate (he didn't). :mad: The best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley, and all that.

Tomorrow they will take my 8' lazyboy sofa, coffee table, end table, china cabinet, dining table with leaf, and six dining chairs. I still have my easy chair and other tables, including the kitchenette table, and these will go in a second S.A. pick-up later on.

Then I'll have the dining room re-carpeted, and then after the last S.A. pick-up I can move the rest of my stuff in the dining room and re-carpet the rest of the house. Or at least, that is the plan. :rolleyes:

It looks like you plan to show your house empty, as you already said you will be buying new furniture at your new place. So, how are you going to live? In an RV? :confused:

It looks like you plan to show your house empty, as you already said you will be buying new furniture at your new place. So, how are you going to live? In an RV? :confused:

We'll rent a furnished apartment, most likely, until we are ready to move into a house or houses. Well, depending on how much furniture we end up moving ourselves via rental truck. Hopefully it will not be much because we are not getting any younger. We can re-assess at some point.

No RV, though. We talked about that again today and we are both of the opinion that we would be better off without buying an RV, at least right now.

Hmm... Seems to me that instead of selling an empty house, it would be easier to cull the furniture, keep the better pieces and advertise free furniture to the new owner. Wouldn't that work?

Too late, NW-Bound - - the problem has been mulled over for years, the decisions have been made, the Gantt chart has been created and we are on a roll. After all the years of thought we have put into this, and the discussions on the board (and between ourselves) about it already, we have reached the point at which we have to draw the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom