Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #4181
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been cleaning out a couple of bedrooms as a friend sold her house & needs a place to land for a while. Took another 200 garments to the goodwill from my formerly active use closets this time. I can still get rid of a bunch more. I need to consolidate into a couple closets as well. It needs to be done anyway. This weekend I help her move to storage. Her house sale is encouraging.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #4182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Decided to dig up a tree stump today. Got the shovel and axe, then DH said, "You don't need to be doin' that." So he took care of it. Meanwhile I considered a Japanese Maple for the newly dug hole. After some investigating seems as if this tree would curl up like a Frito during the TX summer heat, so I decided on a Crepe Myrtle instead. Picked one out at the nursery and they will deliver and plant it next Wednesday.

Hmmm....got the stump dug up and will have the Crepe Myrtle planted next week....and I didn't even break a nail....

Old 04-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #4183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
amazed at the number of decisions that go into building a house
Having gone through the construction of a house, I can't even view your blog without getting stressed. PTSD.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #4184

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Check out Julieanna Kost's Blog featuring her 1-2 sentence tutorials. That should help dampen the curve.
Nice site. I bookmarked it. Thanks!

DW did like the results I came up with, and I printed out a nice glossy portrait of her than I'm gonna put up somewhere around here.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #4185
Moderator Emeritus

Enjoyed an early-season south shore swell today, and we're goin' back for more on Sunday. I think I might have to verify conditions on Tuesday, too, but unfortunately our teen has to attend school for another 11 days. She was quick to point out that I could write her an excuse, or she could still graduate with up to six unexcused absences. This should play well at college.

Broke my first fin today. I didn't feel the board hit anything but the fin was hanging by plastic threads when I resurfaced after a wipeout. So I'll be surfing old-school for a few days.

After lunch and a nap, I replaced the anode rod in our solar water heater. This is eight years of wear. We use a whole-house water conditioner so I could probably have gotten away with another 2-3 years on this one, but I decided not to push my luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bad April at White Plains.JPG (395.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P4230096.JPG (416.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P4230097.JPG (392.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-24-2010, 05:13 AM   #4186

Mulch season is coming fast. My back hurts whenever I shovel mulch - usually 14 cubic yards of it. So I installed a loader bucket on my ATV to do the work.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:04 AM   #4187
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Mulch season is coming fast. My back hurts whenever I shovel mulch - usually 14 cubic yards of it. So I installed a loader bucket on my ATV to do the work.
Nice! Our local landfill has free mulch but you have to load it yourself with shovels. I have a small tractor at the house and wish I could take it with me when I pick up a load. Machinery, when it works, really helps.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #4188
Give me a forum ...

I have been visiting my daughter,SIL and two year old grandson . We've had a ball but I am now soooo tired . I've played cars on his GEO tracks ,been to the zoo , went to chucky Cheese and just tried to keep up with a toddler .Im ready for some rest .
Old 04-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #4189
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Today we have to start looking for a new place to live. Drat!

We were so smug here in our teeny, garage apartment aerie, looking down on a lovely garden,
garden.JPG
and then our landlord (who is also a very good friend) told us that he had been offered the job of a lifetime and would be selling his house and moving.

A major disadvantage to renting, and one that doesn't show up on spreadsheets.

Allow me a little ranting here...

and maybe even a little head banging...
Old 04-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #4190
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Today we have to start looking for a new place to live. Drat!

We were so smug here in our teeny, garage apartment aerie, looking down on a lovely garden, and then our landlord (who is also a very good friend) told us that he had been offered the job of a lifetime and would be selling his house and moving.
Can you make him an offer (sans real estate agent fees) he can't refuse? Maybe you can move into the big house and rent out your current digs...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #4191

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Can you make him an offer (sans real estate agent fees) he can't refuse? Maybe you can move into the big house and rent out your current digs...
I believe they are asking $1.2MM. A wee bit more than we want to pay, even with rental income.

Anyway, I would hate to have somebody living in my backyard.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #4192
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I believe they are asking $1.2MM. A wee bit more than we want to pay, even with rental income.

Anyway, I would hate to have somebody living in my backyard.
Eek!! yes, $1.2MM is a bit much for most of us.

Look at this as an opportunity. There are great apartments out there yet to be discovered. You might find one that you like even better, for other reasons.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #4193
Give me a forum ...

I bought a piano, like this,

at a rummage sale for $60 (Yamaha CLP560). I used to have this same model, and I paid $2,400 for it. I see them now in Craigslist for between $600 and $1200. It looks and sounds perfect.

Now I've got to figure out what to do with it.

It could save me the take down and set up time when I take my gig piano to a gig, but I don't have anywhere to keep the gig piano.

I might donate it to a nursing home where I play their problematic piano.

I could keep it in my bass player's house, so we could have rehearsals there.

I could give it to one of my sisters to replace her junky piano.

Or I could sell it for $600.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #4194

IP, I feel your pain. The house we rent has also been sold for a similar price, so we are in the process of moving. Movers come on Wed to remove the furniture then it's a case of unpacking everything. What surprised me was how hard it was to find a rental, lots of overpriced junk.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #4195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
at a rummage sale for $60 (Yamaha CLP560). I used to have this same model, and I paid $2,400 for it. I see them now in Craigslist for between $600 and $1200. It looks and sounds perfect.
How can that be? I would buy it for $60, even though I play no piano. I just know I would be able to make money with such a deal, somehow.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #4196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Sweet! I'm getting my first 7 cu.yds. on Tuesday. My pitchfork and wheelbarrow are incredibly envious (as is my back!)

Quote:

Now I've got to figure out what to do with it.

It could save me the take down and set up time when I take my gig piano to a gig, but I don't have anywhere to keep the gig piano.

I could keep it in my bass player's house, so we could have rehearsals there.

I could give it to one of my sisters to replace her junky piano.

Or I could sell it for $600.
As a bass player, I vote for option 2! But no matter what, sounds like a win-win situation. Congrats!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #4197
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you did, wouldn't you get to deduct $600 to $1,200 as a Charitable Contribution deduction? Check with your Tax person.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #4198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
If you did, wouldn't you get to deduct $600 to $1,200 as a Charitable Contribution deduction? Check with your Tax person.
Good idea, thanks.

DW is starting to refer to the living room as the "music studio," so it's time here may be limited. It cleaned up real nicely. In a blind listening test, DW slightly preferred the new $60 piano.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clavinova 002.jpg (116.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #4199
Give me a forum ...

Nice find Al.

At 4:15 this afternoon I posted a 'freebie' on Craigslist. I had a large mirror I wanted to get rid of. By 7:00 it was gone. The guy drove an hour to get here. While waiting on the guy, I got six other requests for the mirror. It's nice to give someone something they need/want.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #4200
Give me a forum ...

My daughter needed help with moving some used furniture that she bought, from a friend's house to her apartment. So we rented a U-Haul trailer that I towed with my SUV. After finishing that job, I suggested that we should go to Ikea to get herself a new mattress while we still had the trailer.

Ikea was crowded with shoppers. They were buying, not just looking. I have not been to Ikea for a while, but did not expect so many shoppers. Just another sign, perhaps, that the economy is recovering.