what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woo-hoo!! Today the landscaping/tree-removal team surprised me and came while I was out. :clap: :dance: :clap: They cut down, removed, and ground away the stump of an ornamental tree among my front foundation plantings. This tree had been cute and about 6' high when I bought the house (see 2002 photo below), but had decidedly greater ambitions and ended up 25 feet high with a 8-10" trunk and suddenly growing faster. :rolleyes: They also removed the inconvenient large, woody bush just to the left of it, cut back the rest of my front bushes and the jasmine vines all along my side fence, and completely cleared out some neglected flowerbeds in the back yard.

I couldn't be happier! Now all I have to do is cough up the $850. That is a low price for such work here, so it won't hurt TOO badly. :cool:

Between this and the Salvation Army taking half my furniture yesterday, I feel like I am making some visible, huge progress. Less visible have been our efforts to drive around and price boxes and determine how many we need, and moving some furniture that had to be moved (with Frank's help).

There still is a LOT to do and we have no intention of "knocking ourselves out" at our age, so this will take a while. Still, it is progress and making some progress towards our goal is very encouraging. He is making equal progress with his house. I am keeping up with the Gantt chart more or less (ahead in some "critical path" tasks, behind in other tasks that are not on the critical path). It is really helping.

I have been SO settled in at this house - - this is already my 9th year in my home. I can hardly imagine how much harder this would be had we been here 20, 30, or 40 years.

Last edited:
Wow, I am impressed. You've gone from "One of these days I'm going to get started" to "Watch my dust" seemingly overnight.

Less visible has been our efforts to drive around and price boxes...

Have you checked Sam's Club? They have boxes in their stores plus entire moving "packages" available online: Moving Boxes

Wow, I am impressed. You've gone from "One of these days I'm going to get started" to "Watch my dust" seemingly overnight.

Well, like I said this won't happen overnight (we're too old for that) but hopefully before the end of the year. A lot had to do with giving up on the housing market recovering any time soon. Frank decided finally that he was ready to do this, and I am more than ready to move with him. Now if he changes his mind, my efforts will screech to a halt but he assures me that he will not.

REWahoo said:
Have you checked Sam's Club? They have boxes in their stores plus entire moving "packages" available online: Moving Boxes

Thanks!!! Good idea and one that I hadn't considered. We went to U-Haul and they seemed a little pricey, but we brought home price sheets and started tallying how many of each size we might need (easier said than done). Neither of us belongs to Sam's Club any more, but it's still worth looking into.

I got my results back from the blood work I had done yesterday. All numbers were good except my thyroid has taken a nose dive and my med has to be doubled. No wonder I've been so tired. :(

...but I can look at it this way....at least I don't have to blame my lounging on being lazy. :LOL:

:p

Ahhhh the joys of home ownership. Missed golf today as I had to wait around on a guy to come and install a new gas hot water heater. Old one played out. It was probably 40 years old or so. Just don't make them like they used to.;) But $460 later, I have hot showers once again.

Went to Tall Ships Chicago. Saw several sailing vessels.

Sailed on the Red Witch

redwitch.jpg

I am seriously starting my plan to make this my last winter in East Nowhere. I've stuck it out for 6 years since my husband passed, and it is time to move away from this culturally desolate area. :nonono:
I will devote most of my time to fixing some minor cosmetic problems around the house. The house is just too big for 1 person. I have 2 dogs, so moving them into an apartment setting is not an option. I will start looking in the Finger Lakes area for a house to rent, definitely near a college town. There are so many choices.

No rash moves. It is wonderful to have a goal again. I feel confident and strong again. :D

Ahhhh the joys of home ownership...
Tell me about it...

Just had the roof leaks and the ceilings in 4 rooms repaired last month. Then, the monsoon season came, and we had a brief but torrential rain earlier in the week.

Two days ago, went upstairs to replace the AC filter. Saw a spanking new stain spot on that pristine ceiling in the hall.

Looks to me the roofers in fixing existing leaks in the tile roof managed to put in a new leak where one did not exist before! Good thing they had a screw up in the paper work and sent one of the bills to me late, and I have not paid the last bill for more than 4 grands.

I will make them "fix" it again, but with this delay, when will I be able to take off with my RV now? Sigh...

PS. Just last month, put in a new water heater myself. Last week, repaired the garage opener myself. Also last week, fixed the pool plumbing leak myself.

Went to Tall Ships Chicago. Saw several sailing vessels.

Sailed on the Red Witch

redwitch.jpg

Certainly more fun than I had. Pretty day there.

Tell me about it...

PS. Just last month, put in a new water heater myself. Last week, repaired the garage opener myself. Also last week, fixed the pool plumbing leak myself.

I sort of did. I made the phone call to the handy man I know.:)

Have done nothing yet except sip coffee. Beautiful weather here so I took the day off from w*rk to do a little biking later on the Youghiogheny River Trail. My son is visiting so we thought this would be a nice relaxing way to spend the day together. He is happy to have a reprieve from doing deferred maintenance around the house for me.

Think fall is coming, this morning the temp was 47F. Put on long pants for my morning walk. A cool walk was very pleasant.

Eh? How's the roof leak in your Dutch Star? ;)
Repaired.

Turned out after I sealed, resealed, then sealed the roof and side seams again it still leaked.:p After I'd exhausted every other option, the only thing left was replacing the bedroom slide gasket - that did the trick.

I should have realized the leak wasn't coming from the roof since there was no damage or delamination to the ceiling or wall. The only damage was to a five or six inch area of the floor where it meets the wall next to the slide. When I removed the old gasket I saw a small 1/2" area at the top center of the gasket where water coming off the roof was seeping behind the gasket seal, flowing inside the gasket down to the bottom of the slide opening. The water flow was not visible from the inside or outside of the RV which is why I could never figure out where it was coming from.

But the leak never kept me at home... :cool:

Repaired.
Glad to hear that the root cause was found. Leaks can be maddening, whether in your RV or home.
But the leak never kept me at home... :cool:
Well, it's because you took the leak with you on the trips. Duh! It's not the case here. Someone needs to be here when the repair is done.
Think fall is coming, this morning the temp was 47F. Put on long pants for my morning walk. A cool walk was very pleasant.
By the time I can take my RV trip, I will be freezin' my butts off up North in the "wilderness". So much for the boondocking plan. And I do not want to go South. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I'd buy that for a nickel.
Man...this is a frugal bunch. :ROFLMAO:

I've been busy today as the boyz are cuttin' their trip short and should be home by tomorrow or Sunday.

I need them to feel sorry for me as I've been w*rking so hard....:whistle:

I am seriously starting my plan to make this my last winter in East Nowhere. I've stuck it out for 6 years since my husband passed, and it is time to move away from this culturally desolate area. :nonono:
I will devote most of my time to fixing some minor cosmetic problems around the house. The house is just too big for 1 person. I have 2 dogs, so moving them into an apartment setting is not an option. I will start looking in the Finger Lakes area for a house to rent, definitely near a college town. There are so many choices.

No rash moves. It is wonderful to have a goal again. I feel confident and strong again. :D

This sounds like a wonderful and positive move forward at this point in your life. Congratulations on your decision to get started in the implementation of your plans.

Moving is a lot of work. If you get bogged down, I recommend a Gantt chart. :LOL: Oh well. It is working for me, at the moment, anyway. And no, T-Al, you can't see it! Eeet eees Top Secret material! :D

Homemade chicken noodle soup (with almost all local ingedients) for breakfast.

Renewed my driver's license. Very short line at 10AM :).
Laundromat (in same strip mall) to wash comforter.
Dropped off 4 bags of clothes at St Francis thrift store (also at said mall).
Bought 2 beer mugs (at thrift store) in which to serve beer to friend.

On way back home got caught in AFB lunch traffic; it evoked no nostalgia.

Slightly juicy salad for lunch.

Have 4 bags of trash ready for Monday.

About all we did today was roll the green waste cans out to the curb for pickup.

Oh, and I plan to eat pizza later.

Repaired.
Turned out after I sealed, resealed, then sealed the roof and side seams again it still leaked.:p After I'd exhausted every other option, the only thing left was replacing the bedroom slide gasket - that did the trick.
Man, what a relief it must be to have that behind you.

I went through more belongings and threw out a couple of trashbags full, assembled enough donations for a 2-3 more trips to Good Will, and packed a few boxes. By that time it was pouring rain with flood warnings due to 3"-8" of rain that had fallen in our area. Finally it slackened enough that he could take me to lunch.

We discussed our plans for the actual move, how we would do it, and some housing options up there. We are feeling more optimistic and encouraged. Eventually I came back to my house, to find my new 3rd generation Kindle waiting on the doorstep. I gave my 2nd generation Kindle to Frank, who is getting a big kick out of it. Simple pleasures. Then more packing and tossing out. How does a person unknowingly end up with so much stuff? :2funny:

Another day in a life.

Eventually I came back to my house, to find my new 3rd generation Kindle waiting on the doorstep.
How does a person unknowingly end up with so much stuff? :2funny:
I'm seeing a correlation here, but perhaps it's premature to state that it's causation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom