Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #4261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Was blissfully unaware of the mkt shenanigans today as I cleaned my house, made banana nut cookies and took pics of my kitties....

Then, I got on the internet...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #4262
Give me a forum ...

Started watching Fox Business Channel about 2PM for some reason and I was in for the ride of my life over the next 2 hours. Really enjoyed the ride down of the S&P 500 and back up. Roller coaster fun at no cost. I controlled my emotions and made to stupid buy/sell moves that I may regret in the long run.

As exciting as a Thursday could be...well unless DW will give me some tonight.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #4263
Give me a forum ...

Today a big river otter crossed the road in front of me on my bike ride.

Quote:
Got to change all my email stuff.
I recommend gmail.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #4264
Give me a forum ...

Flight of the Freebird

I just got back yesterday from 15 days in sunny Daytona Beach Florida.
I unpacked, caught up on a few things, and just woke up from a recliner nap. We'll call it jet lag without a time zone change.
Pics coming as soon as I download them from my cell phone.
Back in the saddle again!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #4265
Administrator

Today? A typical day at my "meaningless w*rk" (to quote a recently departed pest), followed by humpen my lumpen to the top of the Sleeping Giant and back down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepin...t_(Connecticut)
Old 05-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #4266
Give me a forum ...

Today I packed for my vacation next week (not sure if it's still a vacation if you are retired ) . We'll be going to Cozumel , Costa Rica and Panama . Gary & I travel well together so it's always fun .
Old 05-07-2010, 06:37 AM   #4267

Cut the grass, washed my truck, put a coat of wax on the toy box I'm making, and made an ice cream run when I heard of the market debacle.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #4268

Grocery store run (yawn) but filled four 5-gallon gas cans at $2.49/gallon with the grocery store discount. Used two to fill DW's car, keep the rest for the bike.

Got on the bike and went to Hagerstown to buy a tank bag to hold the camera so I don't have to rummage around in the saddlebags when I see a photo op. Wandered out of Hagerstown and ended up west on MD Rt 77 through Cunningham Falls State Park, but found no place to pull over for decent photos. Ended up in Thurmont, MD and meandered back home via MD Rt 15 to 340 to 17 to Middletown, MD, Sharpsburg, MD, and Sheperdstown, WV.

Mowed the back yard.

Rode the bike to the grocery store for the liquid soap I forgot on the earlier grocery run.

Sat out on the screened-in back porch with DW, a glass of wine, and thought "Life is good."
Old 05-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #4269
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Today I packed for my vacation next week (not sure if it's still a vacation if you are retired ) .
"Vacation" = "not going to work", sure.

But there's also "not cooking meals", "not cleaning", "not doing laundry", "not doing yardwork", "not running errands", "not paying bills & balancing the checkbook", "not answering the phone or the mail", "eating whatever you want", "drinking whatever/whenever you want"...

Quote:
We'll be going to Cozumel , Costa Rica and Panama .
We'll wait for your surf report!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #4270
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Made gizzard noodle soup for breakfast
Fruit for lunch
Supper: maybe bacon mushroom omelet
Old 05-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #4271
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Today I packed for my vacation next week (not sure if it's still a vacation if you are retired ) . We'll be going to Cozumel , Costa Rica and Panama . Gary & I travel well together so it's always fun .
Hope you have a great time. Looking forward to hearing about it.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #4272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Made gizzard noodle soup for breakfast
Fruit for lunch
Supper: maybe bacon mushroom omelet
Lunch and supper sound good. I am not much for chicken noodle soup and gizzard noodle soup sounds like it would be similar. Don't really know, since I have never had it.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #4273
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"Vacation" = "not going to work", sure.

But there's also "not cooking meals", "not cleaning", "not doing laundry", "not doing yardwork", "not running errands", "not paying bills & balancing the checkbook", "not answering the phone or the mail", "eating whatever you want", "drinking whatever/whenever you want"...

We'll wait for your surf report!
May I add "not watching the stock market" to this list? That would really be a vacation!
Old 05-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #4274
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's great Moe...I hope y'all have a wonderful time! We'll miss you..

As for me, I have a dentist appt next week.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #4275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bon voyage! Hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #4276
Give me a forum ...

Give a man a fish...

Today I had fun helping a friend get his lawnmower running better. It is a mulching mower that bogged down and stalled in thick grass. I went through the ignition, carburetion, compression, and power sequence with him. I explained the fuel/air mixture balance and what running rich and lean meant.
I fine tuned the throttle/governor stop screw so it would run at higher RPMs. A new air filter made all the difference. I showed him how to tip the push handle down a little bit to let the mower deck clear itself of accumulated thick grass so the engine wouldn't stall under load.
For those wondering how a woman knows about these things, I repaired lawnmowers at Sears for a summer while being trained by a master mechanic and took a small engine correspondence course. I still w*rk on my own small engine powered equipment.
He was never taught anything about mechanical things. Talk about a quick study. I am proud to say that the world now has a new amateur small engine technician on the loose.
I love teaching.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #4277
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been mowing & mulching with the grass for days. Right after mudding the front room & stairwell walls. Today I did some shopping including getting a copy of a 1099 so I can prove to the IRS that they missed a decimal point & I did not mis-add my 2008 tax. :-( then I went for a bike ride where I felt really exhausted on it. Rode 3.5 miles & finally figured out my front brakes were rubbing. & who shud happen by but a lady who used to be a bike mechanic. She showed me how to adjust it. Amazing how much easier it was to ride back. Tomorrow, more mowing & I can finally wipe the walls to get ready for painting.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #4278
Moderator Emeritus

My post today is actually an excerpt from a shipmate (& Vietnam vet) who retired from Navy F-4s in 1989. Lately he's been tinkering with his new laser engraver, and he's finally partnered up with another sucker entrepreneur who's willing to handle everything else that happens after the glue is dry:

Quote:
Our model cutaways are a hybrid of a model and a print. Every model is built from six layers of basswood mounted on a baltic blue matte board and sealed behind glass in a cherry finish hardwood frame. Every basswood layer is based on a painstakingly created line drawing that melds hundreds of blueprints and photographs into an accurate slice of the cutaway.
The result is a print that has real depth and shadows or, from a different perspective, is a model that never gets dusty and can be hung from the wall.
The hallmark of all of our titles is incredible detail and we are only limited by what the eye can see. We also strive for accuracy and all of our titles are based on blueprints, manuals, and photographs.
What did I do today? The more I stare at this thing, the more attracted I am. I'm trying to decide if it's really worth $300 for a personalized version of USS USETAFISH to hang on my I-love-me garage wall. What am I saving it for, indeed.

I don't know how far vBulletin can zoom in on this image. The original is at http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-24346686385087_2106_5858214

M_Paquette, Gumby, talk me down...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USS LAFAYETTE woodcut.jpg (415.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 05-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #4279
Administrator

Nords, that is GORGEOUS and you should have it. It's not the Hope Diamond - - it's only $300. That isn't much money these days. Lots of people spend that much on a painting for their living room, and this means something to you and is SO much cooler than a painting. Buy it!!! Buy it!!! Buy it!!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-08-2010, 12:50 AM   #4280

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Nords, that is GORGEOUS and you should have it. It's not the Hope Diamond - - it's only $300. That isn't much money these days. Lots of people spend that much on a painting for their living room, and this means something to you and is SO much cooler than a painting. Buy it!!! Buy it!!! Buy it!!!
Woah, I'm going to have to get an exorcist for my monitor! Be careful Nords, to paraphrase Bobby Boucher's Mama, "W2R is da Debil!"

Resist the fall from LBYM - if you diligently search every city's Craigslist surely it will show up one of these days.