what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I brought home a notebook computer belonging to a guy at work who'd had a hard drive failure, which he had the store replace and he'd reinstalled Win XP from the restore disk, then promptly forgot the password for the Admin account. Then he couldn't get the restore disk to work again.

Whatever the reason it worked fine for me and with about five minutes of actual work the system was restored to factory defaults. He said Best Buy was going to charge him $150 to do that and now thinks I'm a miracle worker.

But then I couldn't find an intermittent connection for the driving lights on my motorcycle, which the guy at the shop found in about two minutes. So we all have our talents....

Mowed the "back 40" while DW mowed the front, ate lunch and then went for a motorcycle ride for a couple of hours. I had to get the ride in because the next two days are forecast rainy.

It gets cold enough now that the last two days when I got off work there was frost on the motorcycle seat. This is not a good thing.

Dropped the cat off at the vet to have a tooth pulled tomorrow.

Attended my uncle's funeral today. He was 94 and in pretty good shape up until the final few months. No complaints though, he was a very positive person and someone you always enjoyed being around. Wish I could be like him. Drove 180 miles round trip in the rain. Although a sad occasion, it was good to see all my relatives and reminisce.

In our [-]kid's[/-] young adult's first official act since turning 18 on Sunday, she spun out her bike on a wet patch of college campus and smacked her head on the sidewalk. She was "in a hurry" that morning to get to her NROTC PT so she had elected to speed up her commute by not putting on her helmet.

She e-mailed me ["sent from my iPhone"] that she'd had herself checked by the campus EMTs; they said she was OK but should visit a doctor if she started feeling bad. She wanted to check with me whether that was necessary. By the time I e-mailed back (4 AM HST) she'd decided it was necessary and had gone to Houston Medical Center for a CAT scan. Must've been a really slow morning over there because she was inside the gear within 30 minutes.

They found no evidence of cerebral [-]activity[/-] damage and pronounced her lucky. She later learned that NROTC PT had been canceled due to rain so she didn't need to explain her absence-- and thus she also avoided having to give training to the entire unit on Navy bicycle safety.

The highlight of the saga was when I called Tricare. I hadn't yet properly trained our progeny on the intricacies of authorizations & referrals so I wanted to let the authorities know about the ER bill. Our kid's in a different region than us now so she has a different contract medical administrator and a different PCM. They haughtily informed me that our 18-year-old's HIPAA is none of our business. So we parents are officially out of a job!

With that fine start to my day, I enjoyed my first cup of coffee and then ran Scoobie on our tile floors. Next time I'll have to make sure I get my spouse's pile of papers well clear of the little sucker.

The bitter Hawaii winter has begun. A rotating low-pressure system has been parked over our house for the last three days now-- constant clouds, sporadic rainfall, and no sunshine. The water heater's down to 110 degrees and the photovoltaic array has only made a half-dozen kilowatt-hours this week. Of course we haven't had to turn on the ceiling fans all week, either, so maybe we'll still come out ahead...

Last edited:
In our [-]kid's[/-] young adult's first official act since turning 18 on Sunday, she spun out her bike on a wet patch of college campus and smacked her head on the sidewalk. She was "in a hurry" that morning to get to her NROTC PT so she had elected to speed up her commute by not putting on her helmet.

She e-mailed me ["sent from my iPhone"] that she'd had herself checked by the campus EMTs; they said she was OK but should visit a doctor if she started feeling bad. She wanted to check with me whether that was necessary. By the time I e-mailed back (4 AM HST) she'd decided it was necessary and had gone to Houston Medical Center for a CAT scan. Must've been a really slow morning over there because she was inside the gear within 30 minutes.

They found no evidence of cerebral [-]activity[/-] damage and pronounced her lucky. She later learned that NROTC PT had been canceled due to rain so she didn't need to explain her absence-- and thus she also avoided having to give training to the entire unit on Navy bicycle safety.

The highlight of the saga was when I called Tricare. I hadn't yet properly trained our progeny on the intricacies of authorizations & referrals so I wanted to let the authorities know about the ER bill. Our kid's in a different region than us now so she has a different contract medical administrator and a different PCM. They haughtily informed me that our 18-year-old's HIPAA is none of our business. So we parents are officially out of a job!

With that fine start to my day, I enjoyed my first cup of coffee and then ran Scoobie on our tile floors. Next time I'll have to make sure I get my spouse's pile of papers well clear of the little sucker.

The bitter Hawaii winter has begun. A rotating low-pressure system has been parked over our house for the last three days now-- constant clouds, sporadic rainfall, and no sunshine. The water heater's down to 110 degrees and the photovoltaic array has only made a half-dozen kilowatt-hours this week. Of course we haven't had to turn on the ceiling fans all week, either, so maybe we'll still come out ahead...

How long does it take to put on a helmet?

I remember when that happened to us. Our policy, our money, hell, we were still driving her to the doctor. :LOL: But we were cut out of the process completely. I think this was the most emphatic indication of 18 = Adult that we ever had. Everything else had a little leeway, but not HIPAA.

Gave much money to the vet people and brought the cat home. He wants to go out. He will stay inside until the drugs wear off.

My portfolio sets a new personal high watermark today. It is now a few $K above my Oct 07 high. Earlier this month, I [-]sold[/-] rebalanced a few percent from stock to cash, else would have more.

Dang, I should have stayed in "greed" mode instead of shifting to "fear" a bit too early. AA is now at 73% stock, and was as high as 83% a couple of months ago.

I remember being envious of connie, who reclaimed her Oct 07 high as early as on 4/30/2009. Dang! At that time, I was still at 74% of my all-time high. Connie has not logged in for nearly 1 year. Her triumphant post was below. I must say, she was one heck of a [-]stock trader[/-] portfolio rebalancer.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/back-in-the-green-44023.html

In a way, it helps that I have part-time income. Not only I did not have to dip much into my savings, the income allows me to [-]gamble[/-] take a more aggressive AA. So far, so good...

P.S. Shall I reward myself by trading in my chintzy class C RV for a mid-range class A, so that we can have real wood cabinets and nice countertops like the Jones here?

Nah! I enjoy money counting too much. In addition, a class A would not fit in some of the public campgrounds that we have stayed in. And small RVs are really cozy!

Managed to spoon feed enough water into the heating system to start heating the upstairs.

Last edited:
Slept late, lounged around the house and tonight have been sighing...ahhhhhh...good sighs.....:)

Sat up our chairs along the Indian River at sunrise, staking out a good spot to view the twice-delayed final launch of Discovery which was initially scheduled for Monday. Less than an hour later:

1220 GMT (8:20 a.m. EDT)
SCRUB! Today's liftoff of space shuttle Discovery has been postponed due to a leak in the gaseous hydrogen venting system between the launch pad and external fuel tank.

1230 GMT (8:30 a.m. EDT)
NASA says this could be a minimum 48-hour delay given the amount of time it will take to safe Discovery and allow technicians to get their hands on the ground umbilical carrier plate (GUCP).

1248 GMT (8:48 a.m. EDT)
NASA now says Monday would be the soonest that shuttle Discovery could attempt launch again. Liftoff time would be 12:52 p.m. EST (1752 GMT).

But that's still preliminary and depends on how much time is spent fixing this leak.
If it doesn't go on Monday, the launch will be rescheduled for December - and we'll head home without crossing this one off my bucket list...

After a long day yesterday went back to work at around 9 PM last night...got in around 5 this morning. Just woke up...too tired to sleep..the retirement portfolio was making a racket in my noggin...think I'll take it easy today...maybe look around for some tools to bring it some order ...

Sat up our chairs along the Indian River at sunrise, staking out a good spot to view the twice-delayed final launch of Discovery which was initially scheduled for Monday. Less than an hour later:

If it doesn't go on Monday, the launch will be rescheduled for December - and we'll head home without crossing this one off my bucket list...

So sorry to hear of yet another delay! Let's hope that Monday works out. I'm glad you were able to stay a few days longer in the RV park.

The dogs and I walked to the stock tank to fill it up. Filling the tank in the desert is like watching the grass grow everywhere else.

I make sure the water is splashing in with lots of noise. The sound of water flowing in the desert gets all the critters juices flowing.

Sitting without the dogs, always brings birds in. I have had in the past Javalina, mule deer, whitetail Coues deer, bobcats, ringtail cats.

Today a hummingbird was finding gnats high in the Live oak(emory) my rocking chair is under. Had a Say's Pheobe flycatching over the tank.

Gee forgot I have hosted a fairly rare bird in our area at the homestead. The bird is a Brown thrasher, now all of you back east will say "Shoot I have one in my yard everyday". Well I can only guess that they don't like to fly over the Mississippi River.

The wife took 4 GF to Mexico for lunch today, and for her to get new glasses. We save $300 on a pair of Flexon no line(progressive) bifocals, buying in Mexico instead of here. Of course my nearest Wal-mart is but a mile from the border. Go figure.

Pizza for me tonight, I am sure she will say she's to stuffed from lunch to eat.

DSCN4667.JPG

Last night, after a 12 hour day at work, I went grocery shopping and ran into a former VP from our organization. She ER'd a year ago at ~60. She looked slim, relaxed and happy. She had lost weight and wrinkles, and looked 10 years younger than when I last saw her. She and DH have been travelling for extended periods. Her word for ER was "decadence". :cool:

Hmmmm. Food for thought!

I went to the library to sign up for the e library . The luxury of being able to surf for a new book for my Nook at home is wonderful . They have a large selection and it's free !

E-mailed still yet even more paperwork to PenFed. I think that makes 19 separate attachments.

We're refinancing our home but they wanted to see the mortgage statement on our rental property, along with the property-tax bills and the insurance policy. I think that means we're getting near the end of their due diligence.

We'd asked for a closing date of 29 Nov (we applied on 15 Oct) and the processor suggested that they might be ready by 20 Nov. Works for us.

Spouse and I talked about selling into the recent market strength but still can't come up with a reason to do so. We finally decided to blow $13.25 on Costco pizza & frozen yogurts.

Was disqualified for jury duty because of my hearing..or lack thereof. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.

DH needs to schedule a colonoscopy in a few days, then when that's over he has to see his urologist because his PSA is elevated.

Meanwhile my momma continues to decline due to Alzheimer's.

...oh, and I'll 'celebrate' my 53rd birthday this month.

Good times...

:blink:

Forgot it was Saturday and went to grocery store...

Was disqualified for jury duty because of my hearing..or lack thereof. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.

It's good. In California they have special headphones for deadbeats like you.

-----------------

Last night we got a $60 tip from someone at a gig. Weird. He wasn't drunk, so he must be very rich. We actually also got a $10 tip and a $20 tip. This was without the young and pretty singer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom