what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brewed 10 gallons of porter, raked some leaves, now making dinner. Busy day...

Since NASA gave up on Discovery yesterday and rescheduled the launch for Nov. 30, we headed home today. Drove the MH 500 miles - something I said I'd never do. But the drive was all Interstate with moderate traffic, so it wasn't bad.

Since NASA gave up on Discovery yesterday and rescheduled the launch for Nov. 30, we headed home today. Drove the MH 500 miles - something I said I'd never do. But the drive was all Interstate with moderate traffic, so it wasn't bad.
Are y'all gonna go back at the end of the month?

Sorry about the launch abort. My neighbors who are Belgium flew to FL to see the launch. They can only stay 6 months a year, but own a home here. Maybe they will try again on the 30th.

We're overnighting in a park next to a really neat RV. Earlier today we passed a motor home pulling a big boat and wondered what they did for a car once they got to their coastal destination. This RV is pulled with a pickup, so it may be the perfect set-up.

Note in the photo he's hooked up to water, electricity and, of course, cable TV...

Attachments

• IMG_2244.jpg
    IMG_2244.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 12
Conducted our annual visit to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet for my wardrobe replenishment. Nine t-shirts for $30, followed by a nice long stroll and impressive people-watching. A few hours later at Goodwill I scored a pair of surf shorts ($2) and Dockers ($7). Those have both become somewhat difficult to find and I was afraid that I was going to have to go retail.

I told spouse that it would be difficult to figure out which nine old t-shirts to move to the rag bag. She says she's going to nominate a couple dozen candidates.

I'm going to spend the afternoon loading up the blog for the next week or two and tweaking its Facebook/Twitter integration. Thanks to "Karen" for your comment, and have you introduced yourself here yet?

Was disqualified for jury duty because of my hearing..or lack thereof. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.
Your "listening" reputation probably preceded you anyway!

Around here, potential jurors who have worked with the police or who have police friends are regularly peremptorily challenged by the defense and even occasionally the prosecution. Maybe that hearing issue saved you a few hours/days.

I am very pleased to report culture shock. :LOL:

There are real stores besides the Walmart mecca back home, traffic lights in multiples which appear to be synchronized at times ;), some midday traffic, and real pizza and Chinese food of very good quality. Oh, and of course I MUST mention the monster fried scallops and clams. :D

I've been looking at the area with a very keen eye as we drive around. This area reminds me of my hometown just north of NYC. Developed yet still quaint in the residential neighborhoods. I have not mentioned the NY Yankees in Red Sox territory. :nonono:

I am liking what I'm seeing while valiantly suppressing the "anywhere but East Nowhere" impulse. :cool:

I tested all the old paper capacitors I had replaced and found, not surprisingly, that they leak like crazy, so it's a good thing I didn't just turn it on when I first got it.
The detonations/fires would have been impressive...

Now that it's working, how do you avoid further deterioration of some irreplacable component?

Is it going to be a conversation piece, or are you going to actively use it? Is this hobby activity in preparation for your ER? Are you getting tired of law and want to get back into engineering, even just as a past-time?

I have always thought of myself as an engineer who just happens to be practicing law at the moment (for the past 20 years). As I wind down and have more time, I find myself drawn back into the joy of just making something work properly. I can see this sort of activity taking up more time once I actually make the jump to retirement.

Oldest son is in town for a couple of days- great to see him. Just wish he could have brought their new grandson born in early October. He just happened to be in the area for work so it was a nice, unexpected visit. We drove up to the new house we just finished in West Virginia so he could inspect where his inheritance went! I think he liked it.

Was disqualified for jury duty because of my hearing..or lack thereof. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.

DH needs to schedule a colonoscopy in a few days, then when that's over he has to see his urologist because his PSA is elevated.

Meanwhile my momma continues to decline due to Alzheimer's.

...oh, and I'll 'celebrate' my 53rd birthday this month.

Good times...

:blink:
I would have thought your previous affiliations as a volunteer would disqualify you as a juror. :cool:

If selected, I always told the defense attorney right off the bat that I was an engineer...who wants a logical person on a jury ? :nonono:
NEXT....:LOL:

I had a sliced banana covered with low fat key lime yogurt for breakfast. WOW! :D

Just hanging around the cousin's house today. We are invited to an impromptu BBQ this afternoon, Portuguese style. Our hosts are from Portugal so the meal is going to be authentic food. Yummy yummy yummy...:)

I would have thought your previous affiliations as a volunteer would disqualify you as a juror. :cool:
Law enforcement is not disqualified for jury duty (at least where I live). However, I have been called three times before during my volunteer cop days and was never selected. This time (number four) was because of my hearing loss. Either they don't have headphones, not enough of them or they have a large pool of able bodied people.

Hmmm....never thought I'd be an unable bodied person...in my early 50's that is...:p

I went to the gym today and did a "Zumba" class. What fun ! Latin music and basic dance moves that even klutz's like me can do .

Dawn patrol-- Kammies at Sunset Beach.

It was pretty dark as I was going down the sand into the water, and I saw a foot-long rock sticking out of the sand that looked like a good stepping stone. As I got closer to stepping on it I saw that it was actually a foot-long dead puffer fish that had washed ashore. From now on I think I'll stick to the smooth sandy parts of the beach.

Once I got out to the break, I got trashed & thrashed. I'm going to have to do this again on Wednesday or Thursday.

Had an interesting conversation today with the title company handling our mortgage refinance. PenFed e-mailed me Friday night that they wanted to close on Saturday 20 Nov, not Mon 29 Nov. The title company's response was along the lines of "Oh, really, now." Apparently PenFed still owes the title company a bunch of paperwork and a payoff statement. I helpfully provided the name & phone number of the PenFed employee who thinks this can happen so fast, and now I'm just going to hope that I don't get trampled by the dancing elephants...

Spent the day in the French Quarter. Had beignets at Cafe du Mond this morning and a big bowl of gumbo for a late lunch. Spent some time watching the HBO series "Treme" being shot on Frenchman Street - complete with three takes and a lot of gunfire. The only actor I recognized was Miguel Ferrer.

The weather was absolutely beautiful.

I went for an early run with my dog Skye. Ms. Grasshopper went for a longer run with our dog Cooper. I was back early so I was priming some lumber for a pergola at the front door. I finished that and while in the painting mood went up to our 2nd story deck to do some touch up. I heard Ms. G talking loudly and assumed she was playing with the dogs. My mistake a 4 ft Diamondback rattlesnake was stretched in the sun in front of the gate into the yard. Nice I figured they had all hibernated by now. More painting, lunch, a snooze, coffee and cookies. More painting, dinner and a netflick. Northern Exposure. I was living in the Snoqualmie Pass around the time NE was being shot in Roslyn. I always get a little homesick for the emerald county, but I am a true Desertrat.

This morning reminded me of a Monday morning work day. Got up at 5:30, fed the mutt and I ate a bowl of cereal. Took the mutt on a short walk and back home for a shower and shave. Left off the other S.;) Then got dressed for jury duty. Made it to the courthouse by 8:00am. Lord, I'm glad I don't have to go through that routine on a daily basis anymore. It was horrible.:nonono: But, while the jurors were being interviewed the judge announced the case had been settled.(civil case) So my court day is over at 11:30 and just found out all other cases for the week have been settled.

So it's back to the golf course. Going to be a pretty week too. :)

I was back early so I was priming some lumber for a pergola at the front door.
My mistake a 4 ft Diamondback rattlesnake was stretched in the sun in front of the gate into the yard.
He must be waiting for you to finish the pergola.

I'm looking for a good set of pergola plans myself-- will you be posting pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom