what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is housecleaner day. :D It's been 6 weeks (versus the usual 4 weeks) and the house really needs a top to bottom cleaning.

I may finish up a few stray entries I need to do on my federal taxes, and dig up some cost basis records from my file cabinet. Then all I need to finish up is the data download from VG brokerage and mutual funds. I do it all at once so I don't get duplicate entries. That happened to me a few years back. My guess is it was operator error (me) :blush:.

It's warm enough here for some melting of snow to be going on. :clap: We decided to hold off our trip to MA until the last week of February. There were too many huge snowstorms in succession out there this winter, so we will let the winter to spring transition move along a little more before we venture east.
Melt damned snow melt! :mad:

Congratulations Nords.

Bugs! In the real world, even!

I had another alder die from borer infestation. The damn bugs seem to be resistant to treatment. So, I've had to cut down the tree, chop the branches and logs, and packed the whole infested mess off for disposal.

I think I'll take a nap this afternoon. Maybe some ibuprofen and a zinfandel chaser...

Arrived home after midnight from my cruise. Left this.....and came back to very cold weather.:'(:'(

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 7
Bought a bunch of plumbing supplies in preparation for a 4 hour drive to rescue DD's house. She's away, her new HEGF failed. Her neighbor was checking the house and caught it, furnace was fixed but not before the pipes froze.

I have too much time in this to let "just anyone" fix it.

Did some wade fishing over at Goose Island State Park, near our rental house in Rockport, Texas. Had a ball.........caught maybe 35-40 spotted seatrout, kept 5 for a few meals. Weather is improving down here after a 4-5 day cold snap last week.

Attachments

• DSCF5363.jpg
    DSCF5363.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 10
Did some wade fishing over at Goose Island State Park, near our rental house in Rockport, Texas. Had a ball.........caught maybe 35-40 spotted seatrout, kept 5 for a few meals. Weather is improving down here after a 4-5 day cold snap last week.

So did you go for a walk down Stinky Beach?

Well........moving into my 2nd week of no golf. Cold wet weather getting old. Actually was warm enough Sunday, but too wet. Suppose to be 50 tomorrow, so might layer up and try it.

So did you go for a walk down Stinky Beach?

Yes, we did walk down Stinky Beach before I went fishing!! I was fishing closer to the pier. I guess they call it Stinky Beach because of all the seagrass that accumulates and begins to smell at certain times of the year, huh? No smell there today.........very nice on Stinky Beach this afternoon.

RAE said:

Nice fish! Did they taste good?

Today is Go Auburn Day. No, I'm not becoming a college sports fan. :LOL:

I am getting an auburn color j*b today. I used a home formula a few months ago and loved the look. This time I am having a hairdresser do it to keep the dye out of my sink and shower. What a mess that was to clean up. :nonono:
I am going with a semi permanent color formula, i.e. it will fade over time. No heavy duty peroxide for this kid. :nonono:
My hair grows very quickly, so I don't want to be bothered with roots touchups. The rinse is the better idea.
The greys will take on the color 100%, so I will end up with very cool highlights at my temples.
I feel like a little girl going for my first perm. :blush:

We had a great sunny, cool, and windy bike ride today. Sometimes everything just clicks, and the riding feels great. Photo here.

Nice fish! Did they taste good?

Hi Al - yep, they were very good. Being a northerner from Michigan, I am not very familiar with most of the fish species down here in Texas (either how to catch them or how they taste). So I am learning as I go, but I can tell you that redfish and spotted seatrout are both fun to catch, as well as good eating.

I shoveled about 6 inches of snow off the cover on my outdoor jacuzzi. It was melting, i.e. snow over slush over water. That is way too much weight on the cover. :nonono:
I let the snow on the surrounding deck get too deep while I was sick in early January, so it will require some warmer weather to melt down some of that snow.
The good news is the deep snow will insulate it and use less energy. It is a thick walled HotSprings jacuzzi with a 3 inch thick cover. I will be out there using it again very soon. :D

UPDATE: I saw the very beginnings of buds emerging on my lilac trees. Spring is not so far away. :clap::clap::clap:

Spouse is on the Mainland this week (a non-profit volunteer meeting) so I'm left to my own entertainment devices. Today it's pruning a mango tree, which should fill up four or five green-waste cans within a couple hours. That'll be followed by one more night of taekwondo practice before Saturday's black-belt promotion ceremony.

Arrived home after midnight from my cruise. Left this.....and came back to very cold weather.:'(:'(
The people in that photo appear to be wearing pants and shoes. To me that is very cold weather...

Nords, you would love it here, where I am today...23 degress and nice and sunny. It's a pretty winter day. You probably would need to add a couple more layers of clothing than what is shown in the picture.:D Florida was VERY nice and warm, I believe it was about 82 when I left. It was so nice.

Gaah! What does it MEAN?

I'm not doing much today, just a little housework, but I keep going back to a dream I had last night. This was a job-related dream. No, not the job I left 3 years ago, but more like 35 years ago. Back then I was in the Navy, as a 'nuke' on submarines.

In the dream, I was standing watch at the Electric Plant Control Panel. For some reason the panel was in the wrong place, so I had my back to everyone else in the room. There was some sort of evolution in progress, and I thought to myself, "I'd better get ready." Then I reached up and opened both AC breakers on the motor-generator sets. It immediately occurs to me that I shouldn't have done that. (No kidding!) I turn toward where the Engineering Officer of the Watch should be, and I notice that I'm alone in the Maneuvering space. Huh. I grab one of the 2x4s (2x4s? Wood?) by the panel and swing out to look around the corner. Nobody there. I pick up the 2MC and pass the word, "Watchstanders, please come to Maneuvering." I wake up, dripping with sweat.

OK, that was weird. Really weird. Manifestation of free-floating anxiety from three decades ago? Too much espresso yesterday? Bad cheese? Damifino...

Yesterday on our bike ride we saw one of these birds:

northern_harrier_7C2V0407.jpg

Apparently it's a northern harrier. The white patch was quite clear. He/she was flying in the strong wind in loops in the dunes by be beach.

Gaah! What does it MEAN?
I wake up, dripping with sweat.

OK, that was weird. Really weird. Manifestation of free-floating anxiety from three decades ago? Too much espresso yesterday? Bad cheese? Damifino...

The navy has a shortage of qualified Nukes. Report to Groton post haste.

Managed to get out of bed around 10:15 a.m. A couple of hours later had eggs and toast for breakfast. Since I was still in my robe I decided to take a nice, long, hot shower.

Ate some chocolate pudding while I watched a car auction on tv. A Shelby Cobra (the only one of its kind) sold for $5,000,000.00. (I could have said five million, but it gave me a bit of a thrill to post all those 0's.)

:angel:

Nords, you would love it here, where I am today...23 degress and nice and sunny. It's a pretty winter day. You probably would need to add a couple more layers of clothing than what is shown in the picture.:D Florida was VERY nice and warm, I believe it was about 82 when I left. It was so nice.
Glad you had some warm weather in FL. :flowers:

A Shelby Cobra (the only one of its kind) sold for $5,000,000.00. (I could have said five million, but it gave me a bit of a thrill to post all those 0's.)

A guy here in my area made the news a few years ago when he bought an antique car for $4.5 million. He collects truly unique (first/fastest/only) classics, and that was just his latest acquisition.

I got a chance to visit his garage last year, because an old friend of mine has a family connection to one of the cars in the collection. I was absolutely blown away! There must be somewhere between $50 million and $100 million worth of cars in that garage (it's about half a football field in area). Every one is special in some way. Just astounding.

One of the utterly amazing things about his collection is that every single one of his cars is street legal, licensed, and driven at least once a year. How many collectors go to that much trouble?

Was at the Humane Society this morning taking pictures of dogs ready for adoption.

Then a bus trip into Seattle for a doctors appointment -- perfect day for it. Clear skies with lots of snow on the mountain ranges.

Tonight: Trivia with friends in Kirkland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom